[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this a thing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudit y_in_combat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1329599297118.jpg (36 KB, 362x356) Image search: [Google]
1329599297118.jpg
36 KB, 362x356
Why was this a thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudity_in_combat
>>
>>1194102
To fuck with the enemy.
>>
>>1194102
>armor
Learn to backstab, scrub. Only plebs can't doge.
>>
File: 1411999691731.gif (654 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1411999691731.gif
654 KB, 500x400
>>1194102
>>
>>1194102

How else will the short manlet italians be able to see your sick full body Pict tattoos?

This sums up the strat:

See >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVUwra22e-Q
You're a whole lot faster for one.

Also if you're not in a tight formation you can dance about.

And the Gods of the field will protect you, and hey, if you caught a pilum in the collar, you'll just reincarnate as something else in a few years
>>
>>1194102
>this peasant has never ridden a horse with bare assed tenacity

more turnips, knave.
>>
File: 1309467390235.jpg (313 KB, 1200x808) Image search: [Google]
1309467390235.jpg
313 KB, 1200x808
because ooga booga gods of my ancestors will protect me from the enemy blade. and they will also see my pumping muscles and huge pulsing cock.
>>
>>1194102
It fucks with the enemy

Imagine trying to fight a dude who had basically just been snowboarding in the dead of winter completely nude

I wouldn't want to
>>
>>1195076
>snowboarding in the dead of winter completely nude
i've actually done this. i'm still shitty at fighting though.
>>
>>1194102
Practicality, at least for Celts. Trial and error taught that getting stabbed while wearing a grungy ass tunic was worse than getting stabbed cleanly. Cloth fibers pushed into the wounds would exacerbate injuries and end in higher chances of infection, which is why you read so many accounts of half naked barbarians: Too poor to afford proper armor, still wanted to live.

Intimidation is a side factor.
You can also consider climate. If you're in a humid ass rainforest, clothing isn't going to be helping you much.
>>
>>1194102
>its not about being a man, its about showing everyone in the tribe that I was
>>
I can't imagine how the Greeks were able to stop drooling long enough to fight nude barbarians
>>
>>1196931
They surely took many prisoners in those conflicts.
>>
>>1196931
10/10
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.