[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination in 1968 lead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: main_1200.jpg (119 KB, 1200x793) Image search: [Google]
main_1200.jpg
119 KB, 1200x793
Did Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination in 1968 lead to race riots in large cities in the US which in turn then lead to the degradation of urban centers in America? In the 60s average urban crime rates weren't too much higher than the 50s and in the 70s urban crime rates rose significantly
>>
>whites moved out of cities into suburbs in the 50s
>blacks moved into the cities in the 60s
>economy goes to shit in the 70s
>unemployment, crime and misery
>>
>>1192909
Race riots were happening years before King was assassinated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_riots
>>
>>1193133
I'd also mention the Greenwood riots which happened in Tulsa,OK and that happened in 1921. Greenwood was a nice area though.
>>
>>1193159
>Greenwood was a nice area though.

So was Watts prior to the riots. And I was just pointing out that the racial unrest in the cities didn't just start after MLK was killed, it was happening all over the country by the mid-1960s. Obviously the US has a proud tradition of race riots, particularly during and immediately after wars.
>>
>>1192909
No, modernist city planning did
>>
Heroin, white flight, the shit economy of the 70s, the War on Drugs, and increasing numbers of out of wedlock births all combined to create the problem.

Also, probably leaded gasoline.
>>
>>1194492
>Also, probably leaded gasoline.

I'm getting pretty sick of this meme.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.