[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christians, what's your opinion on the "where was God"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 13
File: St.jpg (137 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
St.jpg
137 KB, 600x600
Christians, what's your opinion on the "where was God" argument?

>We calculate that the human species Homo sapiens have been around now, Carl Sagan thought perhaps 200,000 years, I would say 100,000. In order to believe the Christian message, you have to believe this. For those 100,000 years, people were born, died – usually, many of them, in childbirth, life expectancy perhaps 20 years, 25. Earthquakes would have been terrifying. Tsunamis, volcanoes, mysterious events. War, famine. That was our life for tens of thousands of years. On and on it went. Now here is what you have to believe. You have to believe that heaven watched that for 98,000 years and after 98,000 years decided it may be time to intervene. And the best way of doing that would be to have a filthy human sacrifice in a very remote part of Palestine. And the news of this has still not penetrated to the rest of the world, and I don’t think will be believed when it does, and isn’t believed by me, and can’t be believed by thinking persons.
>>
>>1183110
The usual answer is that humans didn't have souls until Adam and Eve.
>>
>>1183110
It relies entirely on mixing two contradictory mythologies. In Christian mythology, the world is nowhere near that old, so the problem does not exist. Of course, I don't believe that for a second, being an atheist, but I still find it funny that this argument rests ENTIRELY on assuming two contradictory positions, and then fabricating a ridiculous deduction from them.
>>
>>1183110
You need a certain level of development to evangelise globally.
>>
>>1183126

what

Do Christians now believe Adam and Eve weren't the first humans?
>>
>>1183170
Depends on the sect.
Adam and Eve did exist kinda sorta and fucked everyone over because they listened to snakes.
>>
>>1183170

Assuming one isn't a biblical literalist, the idea usually goes that its a parable/allegory or something or other.
>>
>>1183170
>>1183126
Adam and Eve were the first Caucasians.
>>
>and can’t be believed by thinking persons.

Way to discourage any productive discussion right from the get-go you dumbass. If you want an echo box why don't you just go to pennandteller.com or something?

idiot.
>>
>>1183243

It's a copy/pasted Hitchens quote, faggot
>>
>>1183252
Well then you're a dumbass for using it to start discussion, imbecile.
>>
>>1183138
How many Christians believe that the world isn't that old, though? It seems like whenever a creationist who believes the world is 6000 years old shows up on 4chan or in most other settings, really, they're treated as a joke but Christians in general are sometimes taken seriously.
I don't really get it to be honest.
>>
>>1183667
>How many Christians believe that the world isn't that old, though?
Most Christians throughout history
>>
>>1183110
Well the first religion practiced by humans was Islam, it just didn't survive and wasn't presented perfectly to us until the prophet Muhammad.
>>
File: 1462167660467.jpg (11 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1462167660467.jpg
11 KB, 251x242
>>1183703
>>
>>1183680
You mean most christians who existed before modern science did? Just so you know, there were various christian theologians(Origen and Augustine who leap immediately to mind) who argue for non-literal interpretations of the book of genesis.

I'm not going to say that the bible is true or that the paranormal claims of xtianity are credible, they are not, but at the same time not every christian, even way back when, was some sort of drooling imbecile who took every passage of the bible absolutely literally either.
>>
File: ok face.jpg (41 KB, 540x527) Image search: [Google]
ok face.jpg
41 KB, 540x527
>>1183703
There's a plethora of archaeological evidence against that. Islam first appeared around the 600s AD, when Muhammad "revealed" it (i.e. came up with it). Better bait harder, faggot.
>>
>>1183110
Well, I'm Mormon, and I think that God
a) had Judaism as his chosen religion up until 0 BC and
b) allowed these things to happen to give man trials to test their faith.

Also, quoting somebody who's saying that
>it [christianity]... can't be believed by thinking persons
is kind of rude to the Christians you're discussing with.
>>
>>1186191
You completely missed the point.
>>
Do atheists believe Christianity is about stopping tsunamis and volcanoes or something?

What a stupid thread.
>>
the theory of evolution seems pretty compatible with the bible to me. why is it such a big deal to think of the book of genesis as a simplified version of events? if god is behind the scenes steering human evolution, he still created man. the only difference to genesis would be the time scales and adam and eve representing large populations instead of two literal people.
>>
>>1186191
>Muhammad "revealed" it (i.e. came up with it)

*tip*
>>
File: liebenfels.jpg (71 KB, 388x598) Image search: [Google]
liebenfels.jpg
71 KB, 388x598
>>1183201
This
>>
>>1187949
>it's just a metaphor, bro

Nobody thought this until the modern era, when science started to show the literal account was not true. There is no evidence at all that it was intended to not be taken literally.
>>
>>1187949
It picks some holes in the narrative of original sin. Such as, what the fuck was it then?
>>
Supposedly about 108,000,000,000 (one hundred and eight billion) people have lived on earth since the dawn of humanity.

What happened to the 80,000,000,000 born before Christianity?
>>
>>1187968
They went to Valhalla.
>>
>>1187961
I'm pretty sure Origen was advocating taking it non-literally in the 3rd century. I still think it's a weak defense, but let's not distort shit here.
>>
>>1187976

That's interesting if true, but if anything an obscure fringe heretic or two advocating a non-literal interpretation just underlines that that isn't what people believed.
>>
>>1187996
Despite being a heretic, Origen was still considered an important thinker in Christianity.
>>
>>1187961
>There is no evidence at all that it was intended to not be taken literally.
i'm not saying it was, just that concepts like things evolving over millions of years would have been to hard for the people of those times to understand so god revealed it to them in simplified terms.

>>1187964
psychoactive plants. early humans would have had little self-awareness, but over years of eating forbidden psychoactive plants would have evolved to the point where they could understand concepts like feeling shame at being naked. at that point they were no longer ignorant like animals. they could determine good from evil and so had to be held accountable for their actions.
>>
Judaism and its antecedents.
>>
>>1188019
Alright fuck off Terrance, no one takes the stoned ape hypothesis seriously.
>>
>>1188035
it makes perfect sense.
>>
>>1183110
>life expectancy 25 years
And dropped. I don't really need to argue with a pretentious drunk when his own brother is willing to do it for me.
>>
>>1188043
If you have a surface level understanding of biology and evolution then yeah, its kind of intuitive. Even if it was feasible there's zero evidence to make that claim.
>>
>>1188025
What antecedents are those? Were early tribal religions that worshiped the sun and sacrificed humans connected to god in someway?
>>
>>1188064
zero evidence because it's not the sort of thing that would leave a lot of evidence, or have people done a lot of research and come up with nothing?
>>
>>1188086
There isn't any archaeological evidence that psychedelics drugs were ever a normal part of the human diet or that the supposed affects it would have on early human societies would occur in the first place.

It's an idea he had when he was high. Not real science. You certainly wouldn't want to base the foundation of a religion on it.
>>
>>1183667
Nobody takes me as a joke. My beliefs are founded in reason, science, and most importantly, in the Word of God.

You were sold lies, and you believed them. You were told that given enough time, anything could happen. You were told that explosions create order. You were told that your ancestors and a monkey's are one and the same.

You were lied to, by the best, by the devil himself, but there's no reason to continue walking in darkness when there exists light.
>>
>>1183703

Do you have any proof of that?
>>
>>1188081
There was worship of the one God even in tribal times. Heck, the Gobeckli Tempe was probably about worship of the one God.
>>
>>1187949
Because there was no death in the Creation until Adam sinned, that's why. No death, no 200,000 years of humans producing an infinite number of humans.

Which is of course what any human population calculator would tell you, if you bothered to check.

1 mating pair 50,000 years ago easily produces an infinite number of human beings.

3 mating pairs right after the flood produces 7 billion people on earth today at known population growth rates.
>>
>>1188122
Adam was the first human and sinned before other humans existed, so no.
>>
They die, vanish into dust. The salvation offered by Christ is eternal life through God.
>>
>>1188128
wtf are you babbling about?
>>
>>1183170

Well yeah. I think the vast majority of Christians believe it is not a literal story, at least Christians living in the developed world.

Given that it has been completely disproven and all that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuEL-32Tbc
>>
>>1188135
Most Christians take the bible more seriously than you do.

Is that a surprise to you?
>>
>>1188120
By all accounts, Monotheism is relatively new when it comes to the entire history of human religion. At best, in very early tribal times, you probably had a few henotheists.

As for the tempe, come the fuck on. That's like saying stonehenge was probably used to worship Yahweh. We have no fucking clue what exactly was worshiped.
>>
>>1188136
You have a video that Jesus did not raise from the dead, and is not God?

kek
>>
>>1188122
Christians, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>1188139
Bullshit. Adam and Eve walked in the Garden of Eden in the beginning of the world with the one true God.
>>
>>1188143
Yes, thank you.
>>
File: 1462858245030.jpg (44 KB, 283x396) Image search: [Google]
1462858245030.jpg
44 KB, 283x396
>>1188144
Alright thanks
>>
>>1188139
I'm quite sure with the limitless number of religions of tribal times, there was monotheism than shunned worship of other gods.

Stonehenge was a burial ground.
>>
>>1188150
You can't get past Genesis 1:1.

That's how slow off the line you are. You're not even in the race.
>>
>>1188153
Are all orthodox as ill informed as you are? Or are you the one eyed king in the land of the blind?
>>
>>1188153
Well there's nothing to support that but ok. Probability makes it within the realm of possibility but the details still seem to fall apart. Since the real message of God was apparently not delivered until, at the very earliest, the Jews stopped being henotheists.
>>
>>1188112
>There isn't any archaeological evidence that psychedelics drugs were ever a normal part of the human diet
it doesn't have to be a normal part of their diet, and you don't have to limit yourself to archaeological evidence. just look at primitive societies that survived into the modern age and most of them have rights of passage that involve psychoactive plants. if some of these sunstances are messing with your dna in a way we don't yet understand then their effects are going to get passed on and amplified over generations of use.

>>1188122
i'm not saying what we believe now is definitely right, just that i don't really see it as incompatible with the bible.
>>
>>1188163
I'm probably the least informed of them, desu
>>
>>1188169
Then you know neither position well.

I'll save you some time. Theistic evolution is also bogus.
>>
>>1188172
And yet, the most assertive.

There's a saying about that.
>>
>>1188167
Judaism was never henotheistic. Henotheism means to worship one God, but to accept the worship of lessor ones as valid and fine.
>>
>>1188114
>>1188122
>>1188160
And look, the imbeciles are arriving. That's great.
>>
>>1188179
As Plato said, wisdom is realizing the limits to one's knowledge. The wiser you are, the less you overestimate your knowledge.
>>
>>1188169
>something something if we stretch the facts and sneak in a proposition of a yet unknown way in which drugs alter DNA my shit theory can be preserved

This is really bad science, anon.
>>
>>1188181
Learn to samefag, cancer. And lurk more. Always lurk more.
>>
>>1188180
This is simply wrong, unless you are playing funny word games.
>>
>>1188184
Yes, pretend to be a Christian and rely on Plato for living.

Orthodoxy in a nutshell.
>>
>>1188180
Yeah and that's what the Hebrews were. I suppose "Jews" was the wrong term to use since yeah, they are complete monotheists. What came before Judaism was not, if you value archaeological evidence anyway and the question remains. Why did God wait so long to deliver the truth?
>>
>>1188180
They literally were until the babylonian captivity
>>
>>1188194
He did not. He told Adam the truth Day Six.

Why did Cain's people fall away?
Why did Canaan's people fall away?
Why did Ham's people fall away?
>>
>>1188135
That would surprise me. That view, at least where I live (North Florida), is probably only a large minority. Most people really do think there were two people who really listened to a talking snake.
>>
>>1188202
>snake

lrn2read
>>
>>1188186
i never claimed it was science. it's just an interesting idea that not a lot of research has been done on. i think it's probably what happened though.
>>
>>1188081
Yes, the hyperboreans were trying to mimick the lost religion of their angelic ancestors.
>>
>>1187996

>fringe Heretic

People still respect Origen, especially in the east. The Catholic Catechism cites him on a few occasions

>>1183110

>no thinking person

I'm sure you're intellect is superior to Saint Thomas Aquinas, a once in a centuries mind.
>>
>>1188192
Henotheism is like Platonism. It's not, "There are supernatural beings besides God", because if it were, then Islam, Judaism and Christianity are all still henotheistic, as they all believe in angels.

>>1188198
Negative

>>1188193
Not sure how talking about the definition of wisdom in this context is Christian theology, and I don't see why Plato can't be employed outside of Christian theology.
>>
>>1188223
>People still respect Origen

People still respect heretics.
>>
>>1188224
>Negative
nice rebuttal
>>
>>1188224
Yes, wisdom is never mentioned in the bible at all.
>>
>>1188218
Not a lot of research has been done on it because its junk and the premises are bad right at the starting line. You admitted yourself that there's no reason to believe drugs can alter DNA. This is when most people would abandon the theory or file it into the "possible but extremely unlikely" folder instead of justifying a pretty integral theological belief with it.
>>
>>1188230
It is, but it's used as a feminine form of the Word. I'm talking about the more conventional use, just like the more convention use of "word" is different from the Word.
>>
>>1188228
The Hebrew Bible is pretty consistent in denouncing worship of any god but YHWH
>>
>>1188256
Yeah and the Torah was altered during this time and only gained its high authority after the captivity
>>
>>1188138

I grew up Christian, it is only American protestants who are bible literalists these days, it was specifically taught as a metaphorical story at my Christian school.

>>1188202

That's because you live in America.
>>
>>1188249
kek

Greeks, everyone.
>>
>>1188286
How did you become a Christian?
>>
>>1188284
>only gained its high authority after the captivity
Why do you think this?
>>
>>1188292

How do you mean?
>>
>>1188290
Read Proverbs Chapters 8 and 9
>>
>>1188296
Because that's the general consensus among historians
>>
>>1188303
Which is meaningless without a substantial argument.
>>
>>1188206

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-snakes.html
>>
>>1188298
(I mean that you have no idea how a person becomes a Christian; that means that you are not a Christian; that means your claim that you are a Christian is false; and your claim to not believe the bible is true. But not coming from a Christian.)
>>
>>1188300
I have, many times.

Rely on your country, language and church to sneak you into heaven.

Oh, wait, you're already doing that.
>>
>>1188238
well i would file it in the "possible and extremely likely" folder and would suggest that one of the main reasons there isn't a lot of research being done on it is because it sounds too much like a reasonable explanation of the tree of knowledge of good and evil story, and with most scientists today being edgy atheists who hate god they of course aren't going to be interested in anything that lends credence to the bible.
>>
>>1188325
Do snakes have legs to lose?

Does the description of this reptilian being ring any other bells with you? Enchanter? Crafty? Deceptive?
>>
>>1188329

I'm a bit confused by what you are on about. I was born and raised a Christian and I was Christined as a child and Confirmed as a near adult after taking the requisite classes.

There was no moment I 'became' a Christian after not being one unless you mean when I was very young and couldn't even understand or you are referring to one of those two ceremonies.
>>
>>1188353

I'm sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you, but if it is not obvious by now that you have absolutely no idea what a Christian is, or how to become one, you are (almost) beyond hope.
>>
>>1188324
Here's a source
A Concise History of the Jewish People; Naomi E. Pasachoff, Robert J. Littma; Rowman & Littlefield, 2005
Rabbis preached that the captivity was a punishment from YHWH and were believed by the distressed people seeking something to hold on to in those uncertain times, you see preaching like this at many points of crisis for the jews, such as in the period of Roman Rule
>>
>>1188336
Well that's dumb, Terrance McKenna was just a guy who wrote about acid and his passing musing about early humans taking drugs is flawed at a foundational level. Any research into the theory is probably a giant waste of grant money.

Not to mention that this is utterly fringe and doesn't have anything to do with any mainstream churches opinion. It's more popular among the Joe Rogan and 420chan crowd.
>>
>>1188382
Hey, how about the bible? How about that for a source?

kek

The 70 year captivity in Babylon, prophesied in the bible, and detailed in the bible, was a punishment for not letting the land lie fallow one year in 7 for 490 years. The land rested for 70 years.
>>
>>1188369

This is nothing but a No True Scotsman. I was raised CofE and actively attended until my early 20s.
>>
>>1187961
>nobody thought that until the modern era
This is not true.
>>
>>1188396
Probably added by the Rabbis during the captivity
>>
>>1188382
That's an interesting theory, but doesn't really explain the sophisticated juridical code.
>>
>>1188406
>I voluntarily entered into a building.
>Therefore I am a Christian.
>>
>>1188324
Even if we accept that Hebrews were perfect monotheists from day 1 and there was no polytheistic and henotheistic past like modern archaeology and historical analysis suggest, even if we accept that. The central question of why God waited so long to deliver the Torah, while countless generations of humans apparently lived and died believing in spooky tribal beliefs and non-existent gods, remains unanswered.
>>
>>1188412
How do you mean
>>
>>1188411
You don't add prophecy to the Word of God. That gets you dead, quick. Prophets are 100% correct or dead. And the reason was also prophesied.

I get that you don't think anything supernatural like prophecy exists. Or that God exists.

Start asking yourself why you believe that.
>>
>>1188424
you're begging the question,i.e. your premise(God exists and the bible is true) needs yo be correct for your argument to have any value
>>
>>1188417
You keep assuming that people who lived before the Law were doomed.

People trying to keep the Law are also doomed.

Everyone since Adam and Eve were doomed.
>>
>>1188422
I mean there is this big, fat juridical code in the Torah that governed such minutiae as being forbidden to muzzle an ox when you are making him grind things (so as to prevent him from eating while he works). The idea that all this was written when it couldn't even be enforced, the idea that complex temple codes were when there wasn't even a temple, stretches credulity.
>>
>>1188441
And since they both are, it is.
>>
>>1188416

Except I was a believing Christian. I even wanted to be a vicar when I was a kid, kek!

The only thing you're proving is how full of shit you are.

You're certainly not any authority on who is Christian and who isn't.
>>
>>1188443
Still dodging the question, why did he wait so long to deliver the law?
>>
>>1188463
>Except I was a believing Christian

This is a false statement.

It is the same as a caterpillar saying it used to be a butterfly.
>>
>>1188469

Lol. I've seen you posting before.

>no one can stop being Christian!!

10/10 for making a stupid point.
>>
>>1183170
Many Christians believe that A&E was a metaphor for humanity in general straying away from the ways of God rather than a literal story.
>>
>>1188464
You don't understand why God gave mankind the Law. And even before the Law, men died for sin, without the Law.

The Law was God's part of showing mankind that following the devil was a bad idea. Remember the devil? The "eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and be like God"?

The Law was God showing people what "being like God" looks like. And everyone failed to follow the Law, at all points. Nobody was ever found righteous under the Law, and the Law could never save a person. Only condemn.

So you're asking why condemnation did not come earlier to a race that had already fallen, and was already condemned.
>>
>>1188476
It's the difference between being a spiritually dead human being and being a born again new creation in Christ Jesus.

It's the difference between heaven and hell.
>>
File: 1463565760993.jpg (107 KB, 1024x865) Image search: [Google]
1463565760993.jpg
107 KB, 1024x865
>>1187961
How could you explain evolution, modern science and such in a way to people who literally thought if you reach up high enough you could touch stars?

I mean God I guess could have just telepathically transported the process himself but he seems to have this thing going where he likes to neither be seen nor heard and prefers his earthly subjects explain it
>>
>>1188483

Yawn.
>>
>>1188478
>"Many Christians belief....

What about the truth of the matter? Are we taking a poll? Are we giving God a poll, and telling Him to change His ways according to our opinions?
>>
>>1188469
This b8 is delicious
>>
File: 1455843198105.jpg (600 KB, 700x6826) Image search: [Google]
1455843198105.jpg
600 KB, 700x6826
>>1188463
Hence it is from this Apostolic See, where blessed Peter "lives and presides and grants the truth of faith to those seeking it," that the rights of venerable communion flow to all";[12] and this same See "for the Churches spread throughout the whole world is certainly the head, as it were, of their members, from which if one cuts himself off, he becomes an exile from the Christian religion, as soon as he begins not to belong to its structure."[13]

25. Therefore the holy martyr Cyprian, writing about schism, denied to the pseudobishop Novatian even the title of Christian, on the grounds that he was cut off and separated from the Church of Christ. "Whoever he is," he says, "and whatever sort he is, he is not a Christian who is not in the Church of Christ. Let him boast and preach his philosophy and eloquence with a proud voice; he who does not have fraternal charity and does not retain ecclesiastical unity, loses also what he previously had. Since by Christ one Church was founded divided into many members throughout the world, so likewise one episcopate, diffused in the harmonious multiplicity of many bishops. Subsequent to the teaching of God and the conjoined unity of the Catholic Church, he attempts to build a human church. Therefore, he who does not retain unity of spirit nor communion of peace and thus separates himself from the bond of the Church and the college of the priesthood cannot have the power nor the honor of a bishop because he kept the unity or the peace of the episcopacy.[14]
>>
>>1188487
Easily.

God: Moses, when I created the world, I started out by making tiny little creatures in the oceans. Then from those creatures came these other creatures, and finally, you.

Evolution is predicated on the premise that God lied to Moses. That God is a liar.

Gee, who makes that accusation again? Constantly?
>>
>>1188386
>Not to mention that this is utterly fringe and doesn't have anything to do with any mainstream churches opinion.
this is irrelevant. these kinds of details aren't essential to being saved and whether the average christian has any interest in the subject, or what their views are on it if they do don't matter. having a better understanding of the world is great but being a scientist isn't going to get you into heaven. also believing in the stoned ape theory isn't going to save joe rogan from hell.
>>
>>1188495
Once you're baptised you can't be un-baptised, it leaves in indelible mark on your soul, and it makes eternal life your heritage
>>
>>1188500

Tell it to what I assume is the American protestant evngelical yapping away at me.
>>
>>1188481
The timeframe seems nonsensical though. The specifics of original sin within the context of evolution are already muddy but we can assume a discrete event happened that after which, mankind fell, for the sake of the discussion.

It still doesn't make sense that God would deliver the law for so long after the decision was made. If humans wanted to be like God then why not show them right away that it's folly? Why wait, at the very least, 94,000 years?
>>
>>1188516
>Getting muh head wet saved muh soul.

Then why aren't you getting random strangers' heads wet?

Everyone who did the ice bucket challenge goes to heaven?
>>
>>1188514
Ok sure, that wasn't my point though. You said that scientists don't investigate the theory because they're edgy fedoracunts that hate God. Except outside of this conversation I've never, not once, seen the stoned ape hypothesis linked to the Christian God. It's somewhat popular among the drug subculture and that's it.
>>
>>1188516
It leaves a mark, but apostasy takes away the mark's benefit, and makes it worse for you than if you were unmarked
>>
>>1188525
he can read cant he?
>>
>>1188530
The earth is about 6000 years old; the time lapse would only have been 2500 years. Anyone who believed in God would be saved by their belief, by the grace of God, as always.

Nobody deserves to be saved.

There did not need to be any plan of salvation, much less one that called for God to die.
>>
File: 1457646629451.png (931 KB, 800x770) Image search: [Google]
1457646629451.png
931 KB, 800x770
>>1188538
>>
>>1188569

Arguably not very well.
>>
>>1188580
mmmmm, rare Pepe.
>>
>>1188444
I don't see the problem, see the coffee, milk and sugar principle, you take a little bit of this, not too much of that and a spoonful of the other thing, this happens in religions too, it is perfectly possible tgat monotheism wasn't that prominent yet, not to mention the Rabbis altered the Torah
>>1188461
Constantine presents arguments, all you have is circular reasoning, you literally have no argument that isn't circular
>>
>>1188579
>The earth is about 6000 years old
Oh so you're the shitposter. I thought I was talking to a real person for a sec.
>>
File: 1462828151056.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1462828151056.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>1188538
>>
>>1188543
it doesn't need to be a mainstream christian theory in order to put off scientists. sure, dishonest televangelists selling poorly researched books about it would put them off even more, but i think they're smart enough to put two and two together and realise that it's quite similar to the tree of knowledge of good and evil story. this in itself is enough for most scientists to be dismissive of the idea.
>>
>>1188587
You said if both my predicates were true, so is my conclusion.

They are, and it is, is literally an argument.

Constantine feeds you what they feed him in his cult, and no more. That you cannot know if you are saved. That you have to keep being a good boy and come to church. That good boys who come to church give their money to the church too. That the church will make sure the good boy is saved. As long as he keeps coming to church in an endless cycle of sin, repentance, penance, obedience, rinse and repeat.

I offer you the truth. The gospel of Jesus Christ.

That if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart God raised Him from the dead, you WILL be saved.

You WILL know that you are saved.
>>
>>1188589
Your question was answered by pointing out your faulty premise.
>>
>>1188623
Naw I think it has way more to do with the fact that it's bunk science rather than your insanely obscure link to Jewish mythology.
>>
>>1188623
40% of scientists believe in God/are Christians.
>>
>>1188587
The Torah might have been written over time based on oral tradition, but the fundamental ten commandments were not something improvised in the law, they form the core of it
>>
>>1183110
What exactly is the argument here? The notion of it "not seeming right" in human terms doesn't mean anything when we're talking about the divine. By what argument should God have intervened earlier? By what argument should God have intervened at all? You can go back and back to the beginning of the universe, why did God not make himself self-evident to all things at all times the universe (some argue he does, but whatever)?

It's the same as asking "Why did God make le spooky skeletons inside us when skeletons are so spooky?" It's fucking asinine. It's too human an argument to even be relevant to God.
>>
>>1188629
I just said that for your argument to have any value your premise which you are arguing for has to be correct, which kind of defeats your argument, a tad bit different from what you say
It's called 'begging the question', look it up
>>1188649
This is true
>>
>>1188664

We are discussing human beliefs though.
>>
>>1188664
>Why did God make le spooky skeletons inside us when skeletons are so spooky?
This is a good objection though.
>>
>>1188629
Going to Church and giving money won't do of itself. In fact, an Orthodox Christian who is humble and contrite is far more favored in God's eyes, than an Orthodox Christian who goes to Liturgy all the time and tithes a bunch. If you are not humble and contrite, then going to Liturgy, fasting, tithing, etc. is actually spiritually *harmful* and makes you like the Pharisees, whereas it is better to be the Publican
>>
>>1188701
Honestly not really, skeletons 'are' scary because we associate them with death, you know, because skellies typically only become visible when someone's dead or grievously injured
>>
>>1188673
You can beg all day long.

The premises are true.
The conclusion is true, and logically follows.

>>1188712
>I have no idea what salvation is.
>>
>>1188724
Salvation is theosis.
>>
>>1188724

Begging is for religious folk.
>>
>>1188724
You are decisively wrong if you think what you say can't be contested or can't be wrong, we both have the same tools of perception
>>
>>1188747
Yes, this is why you are lost.

Genesis 3
And the serpent saith unto the woman, `Dying, ye do not die, for God doth know that in the day of your eating of it -- your eyes have been opened, and ye have been as God, knowing good and evil.'

You are following the devil.
>>
>>1188751
Begging targets religious folk.
>>
>>1188763
You can say God is wrong.

You'd be wrong though.

Er, did you want to be wrong?
>>
>>1188764
Communion is the fruit of life.

John 6:53
>>
>>1183110
God granted us earth, it's not his playground. Not his Sims or his Crusader Kings 2. Simple.
>>
File: kNCQe3t.jpg (666 KB, 2644x1983) Image search: [Google]
kNCQe3t.jpg
666 KB, 2644x1983
>>1188767
>>
>>1188770
Begging the question again sheez, you realize that this is an argument and that you have to actually argue here?
>>
Gods aren't real. The end.
>>
>>1188771
No, no it is not. It is only properly a remembrance of what Jesus did for us.

You people really are as bad as Rome. Just less murderous.
>>
>>1188780
Yup. KB check'd.
>>
>>1188781
Yes, I'm begging this question.

How can God be wrong?
>>
>>1188877
You're just committing the logical fallacy
Also I'm of to bed, goodnight
>>
>>1188877

It's the logical fallacy where your conclusion is built into the premise.
>>
>>1188870
>Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

It is only through physical communion with Christ, by physically becoming a part of his body (Corinthians 12:27), that you can partake of its immortality, and your body can be raised.
>>
>>1188952
>It is only through physical communion with Christ, by physically becoming a part of his body

Baggsy the penis.
>>
>>1188933
No, you're trying to box God into your little logic box.

If there is a box that can contain God, worship the box.
>>
>>1188946
Indeed.

By definition, God cannot be wrong.

Maybe start dealing with that fact.
>>
>>1188952

Spiritual food.

Spiritual drink.

Keep reading to the 63 verse.

You people really are Rome Lite.
>>
File: Boris.jpg (96 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
Boris.jpg
96 KB, 736x736
>>1189007

okay.
>>
>>1189018
Atheists simply cannot make arguments.
>>
>>1189012

God isn't real, lad.
>>
>>1189022

And your counter-argument is?
>>
>>1189025
Your argument is enhanced by the paternalistic "lad"?

kek

I have socks older than you.
>>
>>1189028
That God is an eternal spirit being named I Am, or more importantly, I Will Be That I Will Be.
>>
>>1188877
> How can God be wrong?
He is omnipotent. He can be a turtle if he want to. He can be wrong if want to be wrong too.
>>
>>1189070
He can neither be a turtle nor can He be wrong.

It's weird what you lost people believe.
>>
>>1189065

Boris already ate that dude

.>>1189057

I doubt that.
>>
See this thread guys? This is what happens when you give christards the time of day.
>>
I'm no a Christian, but I've heard many Christians agree that if God was there to fix every problem that there would be no point to living. If he did come to everyone's whimsical aide, then what would be the point of trials and tribulations? Just like children to parents, people will not learn anything throughout life experiences if they have something to get them out of sticky situations at every call, people still live in the people world and have to deal with their people problems. Isn't that the whole test to life? Is this unreasonable to other Christians?
>>
>>1189017
Spiritual as in for spiritual benefit as opposed to carbs. Not spiritual as in "figuratively", "spiritual" is never, ever used to mean "figurative" in the Bible.
>>
>>1189007
Kek I just woke up, you are extremely delusional to the point that I'd call you mentally ill, you simply cannot comprehend that you are in an argument and have to argue for your premise not just have everyone just accept them
If you can't make an argument without begging the question you lose the argument. End of story.
>>
>>1183110
98% of every human born was born after Christ
>>
>>1188135
I guess the United States isn't part of the developed world.
>>
>>1187955
>you're a fedora if you mock Islam now
Is this Great fucking Britain or something?
>>
>>1187961
Talking shit son?
>>
>>1189007
>>1190229
Also I'd like you to know that you are making the exact same mistake as Anselm, your belief that God is so great that you can't argue against his existence and that attackers of the concept are automatically wrong wrong has already been refuted thoroughly
>>
>>1190249
All of them would still have more in common with Ken Ham today
>>
>>1183170
In what sense do you mean human? They were the first people, perhaps not the first hominids, but definitely the first people. God breathed his spirit into them. Also in response to OP, those who were died before Christ was born or did not have access to his Gospel will be judged differently than those who were born after and have access to his gospel.
>>
>>1188780
>That solitary penny in the Jewish bowl.
At least Jews are consistent.
>>
>>1190277
What a useless statement
Compared to most Catholics/Orthodox/Coptic/Assyrian Christians (or at least theologians)? No they wouldn't
Compared to Swedish Lutherans? Probably, but then again most everyone has more in common with Ken Ham then them
>>
>>1190322
The earth cant be round, because then everyone wouldn't be able to see christ descending from heaven

t. augustine
>>
>>1183110
I have a christian friend who flat out denies neanderthals. She claims they were the bones of retarded people. "How can different species interbreed, anon?" She was a failed bio major
>>
File: 1441502076139.jpg (350 KB, 1446x1139) Image search: [Google]
1441502076139.jpg
350 KB, 1446x1139
>>1183266
>>
>>1188114 (You)
>>
>>1190508
ask her to do a DNA testing thing and begin laughing when it says she's like 5% Neanderthal
>>
>>1190623
would only prove she and all Caucasians bred with retards, as god planned
>>
>>1189335
Thos children born with AIDS or life-threatening congenital defects sure learn a lot from their trials, don't they? So kind of god to make sure they die young.
>>
>>1190360
Christ's return will be a worldwide extraterrstrial invasion with motherships descending around the world in an enormous net, every ship equidistant from each other, all harmonically resonating to eradicate earth while simultaneously uploading a simulation of it into the universe of New Jerusalem.
Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.