[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/ Do you admire war? Do you think there is meaning in th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: images(8).jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images(8).jpg
8 KB, 259x194
/his/ Do you admire war? Do you think there is meaning in the glory and valor attributed to war and warriors.

Listening to the Dan Carlin podcast on WWI he made a point showing how initially both sides of the war imagined the war would be a glorious heroic romantic thing and and it turned out to be one of the worst disasters in history.

You'd think after the supposed horrors of the Napoleonic war people would know how unglorious war truly is.

If you just talk about war on a rational level, the stats, the cost of life, the destruction of cultures, thr hypocrisy, and cruelty, you wonder how men can get that insane. In such cases words like valor and honor seem emoty and undefinable.

But on an irrational level if you for example read about the battle of Battle of Wizna or Stalingrad and you may instintively feel honor for the man who fought against the odds. In light of this you know what honor means you know what courage and valor is even if you can't define it.

On an irrational level I understand the glory of it

Anyway are war or warriors to be admired?

P.S This is also a Sabaton thread.

http://youtu.be/HC7_qPCflnY
>>
>>1180699
>Do you admire war.
It's only natural humans admire war. It shows the best parts of them.

>Do you think there is meaning in the glory and valor attribute to war and warriors.
Valor, yes. Glory, that depends on what the end result is. Was it for the best of all, or the best of few?

>Is war to be admired
You already asked that in the beginning, faggot.
>>
It is hilarious how people who warmongering for the World War I was a shit at the actual battle.
>>
>>1180699
> Do you admire war?
I believe that there is nothing to admire in modern war because it decided by who can throw more of cash into an enemy or choose most dirty fighting methods. War without viable close combat is the dead and soulless war.
>>
https://youtu.be/WnAvNdVyJB0
>>
>>1180699
>both sides of the war imagined the war would be a glorious heroic romantic thing and and it turned out to be one of the worst disasters in history.
But that's not what happened. There were people who fully realized that the coming war would be massive, a total war if you will. Falkenhayn and German planners already before the war for example. The concept of "Volkskrieg" was known to them and they expected it to happen. Certainly not in the "millions die, gas and shit", true, but definitely in the complex economic, military, general mobilization, "total" warfare kind of deal.
>>
Symmetric warfare is over.

I don't admire war, I just can't deny it's importance.
>>
File: 1457158214080.jpg (63 KB, 600x790) Image search: [Google]
1457158214080.jpg
63 KB, 600x790
>>1180699
>do you admire war
yes, histories, men, leaders and gods are born from war. should wars cease of exists so does the culture of man.

those who've fought in wars, are not those who fight only for their states, they fight for marks on the annals of time and in their hands craft histories and culture.
>>
>>1181006

Good meme.

So long as nations exist, so will conventional warfare.
>>
>>1180863
The Schlieffen plan was based on the idea to destroy France in a few weeks like 1870. France and Britain didn't plan that the war would be 5 years long.
>>
>>1181006
Uh what do you call wars between ISIS/Iraq/FSA/SAA?

Shit sure isnt assymetric regarding how those nogs fight each other head on
>>
War itself is not to be admired. The men fighting the wars often are, however.
>>
Modern warfare is without honor of almost any kind.

Drone strikes where the operator is thousands of kilometers away is a good example
>>
War without consequences is undeniably fun, which is why so many games are essentially war simulators. But no, I don't "admire war." That's childish.
>>
>>1181090
The "Schlieffen plan" was not the entire war. British planning counted on a war of two years at least. Haig and Kitchener said so and more importantly, had behaved that way, seeing as the Volunteers were being prepared exactly with over a two year window in mind. Falkenhayn & co. were reworking German plans including economic preparations for a minmum of a 18-month conflict in the months before the war.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.