[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old is your city/area? What's some local history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 28
File: york.png (213 KB, 804x515) Image search: [Google]
york.png
213 KB, 804x515
How old is your city/area? What's some local history?
>>
my town was founded in the XVII century, quite recent for the old world
>>
>>1178589
660 years

Not much the past two centuries and i'd like to keep it that way.
>>
Ayyyyyy PA bros WW@?

I'm from Hazleton, founded in 1780. Basically a bunch of coal-mining, industrial work, and workers' rights battles.
>>
160 years old. Not much to talk about, except for a minor polio outbreak in the 1940s.
>>
>>1178589
Founded at the second half of the first century.

>there's people right now on /his/ who doesn't live in a town founded by Rome
>>
>>1178630
First century before christ, sorry.
>>
>>1178589
194 years old.
The reason it has the name Grand Blanc is because of the Dutch traders that came in to settle the area were fucking huge and the the Indians that spoke French called them the Great Whites.
Also it's pronounced Grand Blank also.
>>
Time immemorial.

>2016
>Living somewhere created after people thought to start writing stuff down.
>>
13.772 billion years, give or take
>>
>>1178589
schweinfurt
americans destroyed the city industry almost completetly in the ww2.
The city recovered and now is the 3rd richest in Germany
>>
>>1178678
Well of course it is. American bombs make things better. Ask modern Hiroshima
>>
>>1178660
u wot m8

We were manlets back then
>>
File: b17.jpg (79 KB, 300x242) Image search: [Google]
b17.jpg
79 KB, 300x242
>>1178678
forgot the pic
>>
>>1178686
So then it was the British or the Dutch that came over and the Indians called them Grand Blanc.
>also there used to be a massive Klansmen area in Swartz Creek/Grand Blanc
>>
>>1178686
Yeah but Indians were and still are mega-manlets.
>>
File: Aalborg_church.jpg (797 KB, 1712x2288) Image search: [Google]
Aalborg_church.jpg
797 KB, 1712x2288
pretty boring city. it's about a millennium old, it had a few fires and a squashed peasant revolt, that's about it, really.
>>
>>1178699
Aren't they fucking basketball playing giants?
>>
>>1178705
Not the ones in Michigan.
>>
>>1178707
lead poisoning?
>>
File: cBb70yE.jpg (145 KB, 729x513) Image search: [Google]
cBb70yE.jpg
145 KB, 729x513
>>1178705
Nope. And frankly I don't know any native NBA star if you mention basketball.
>>
File: Borlase_1.jpg (160 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Borlase_1.jpg
160 KB, 480x640
>>1178589
my former school was founded in 1624

My hometown (Marlow) has a long history and its name is Anglo Saxon for drained marshland. Mary Shelly lived there with Percy Shelly for a few years and the novel "three men in a boat" j.r. jerome was written there. Wind in the willows was set nearby i think. Oh and Steve Redgrave is from the nearby Marlow Bottom. The famous Henley Regatta is held in the nearby Henley (as seen in The Social Network) and Marlow has its own regatta each year.

The town is twinned with a dis'trict in Budapest because the iron bridge in Budapest was designed by Tierny who built an identical, albeit white and smaller, in Marlow.
>>
>>1178678
Too bad your entire family wasn't kill by Americans
4chan would be a better place
>>
>>1178725
>acting like he's a smart motherfucker trying to say the entire fucking state got motherfucking lead poisoning like a retard
You're retarded, seriously.
>>
>>1178732
Not him but I just love how this lead shit is triggering Michicucks.
>>
>>1178735
>said literally the most boring state in the union
>can't even vote right
>probably voted for his fag ass governor who's so pussy whipped he can't even scare a moderator
>Ohiocucks
>>
>>1178726
170 cm, oh wow that is pretty much the same as medieval Europeans. Some Northern Europeans even averaged an inch more. I always thought native Americans were the giants.
>>
Not very old and Sherman burnt the city down.
I live by park where confederate brigade reformed before attacking artillery battery shelling the city.
The topography has changed though so you can't much get a sense for the battles.
>>
>>1178745
That's their height RIGHT NOW, not 500 years ago. They used to be much shorter.
>>
File: 12345567.png (47 KB, 1730x1076) Image search: [Google]
12345567.png
47 KB, 1730x1076
>>1178746
[perfect day playing in the background]
>>
>>1178743
>triggered this hard

Don't you have to attend a beheading in Dearborn or something?
>>
>>1178755
There a beheading, niggers from the south (Detroit) are gonna get uppity over Moslem shit and it'll turn out to be race riot.
Also
>Lebanese girls
>not waifu material
>>
>>1178678
>schweinfurt
Can someone explain to me the German fixation on pigs?
>>
>>1178752
Ironically I think Sherman was pretty cool guy.
Some people are still a little sore though.
>>
>>1178760
tasty
>>
>>1178764
The south is madder at Sherman than Japan is at the US For two nukes
>>
>>1178759
>niggers and muslims launching into a race riot over beheadings

This is supposed to be a good thing?
>>
>>1178769
Yeah man, causes the property value to go down.
>>
>>1178768
Only southern autist 4channers
>>
>>1178745
What the fuck why would you think that? They're basically bizarro asians.
>>
>>1178773
chief
>>
>>1178781
And this is why people shouldn't form their opinions on movies.
>>
>>1178784
You'd be amazed how much our image of America is formed by popular media.

Like do you have a token black friend or an Asian?
>>
>>1178792
Yes, I do actually.
>>
>>1178794
Are you a Jock, Nerd or Cheerleader?
>>
>>1178589
live in York atm. Feels good man
>>
>>1178792
Yes indeed but that doesn't make it a good thing. Majority of Americans actually believe that America is 35 to 40% black because blacks are so overrepresented in the media, in reality it's around 13%.
>>
>>1178794
I'm a nerd, but I won at sportsball and got the nice girl at the end of high school.
>>
>>1178796
>>1178805
>>
>>1178805
And then you signed up for the army, served two tours of duty in whatever-stan?
>>
>>1178812
Now I'm a cop and I have an older, wise black partner.
>>
>>1178799
as in *proper* York
>>
>>1178821
But you got dragged in this drug money laundering scheme run by the local mayor didn't you?
>>
>>1178837
I like the brown cow for a pint and a game of pool.
>>
>>1178928
Why you calling my mom a brown cow?
>>
>Toronto

Well there was a rebellion once, and before that the Americans invaded. And all this time we've mostly been the largest city/economy in the country
>>
The earliest mention of my city is from 1533, when it was a berth for indian canoes that came from the sea and to the river to trade shrimps, salts and other stuff under spanish governorship. In 1681 it was already considered a town.
>>
File: KL%20SC%201930[1].jpg (191 KB, 1024x649) Image search: [Google]
KL%20SC%201930[1].jpg
191 KB, 1024x649
>Kuala Lumpur

It's a pretty new city actually. Around the 1800's when the Brits colonized us. It used to be a tin mining zone with cities and government complex where the Brits control the city, the Chinese owns the tin mines and mostly Chinese and Indians working on it. Then Tin stops being relevant and we exhaust it. It grows to a city. Time went by, Japs conquered it, British got it back, Malaya was independent and now it's Malaysia's capital city

Not that you guys care about this country anyways.
>>
Uncle Sam was born here
>>
File: 1454467071594.jpg (251 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1454467071594.jpg
251 KB, 1200x1200
691 yo
>>
Around 250 or so years old. I took a class in High school about local history and since then I've been studying both mine and other towns in my State. My town is in a Valley and was founded as a trading post by White men, and eventually we had many lumber mills. That's the gist of it.
>>
Memphis, Tennessee. Founded 197 years ago (almost to the day).

Important happenings:
>1826: city is incorporated, Memphis is a huge trading center
>1861: TN secedes, war happens
>1957: Stax Records is founded
>1968: MLK is assassinated
>>
>>1179751
Are you a dindu?
>>
>>1179775
No.
>>
>>1179794
But there's only dindus in Memepiss.
>>
File: Spokane_Flag.jpg (16 KB, 360x216) Image search: [Google]
Spokane_Flag.jpg
16 KB, 360x216
spokane washington founded 1871

>1889 all of downtown was burned down
>1910 first fathers day celebration
>1910s-20s bing crosby lived here
>1974 city holds world fair
>>
>tfw my hometown had its 1150 year anniversary six years ago
You are all smalltime.
>>
>>1179798
Technically I'm in a suburb but there's no interesting history there so I went with the city proper.
>>
Recently moved out of a 40 year old city.

Now I Live in a village that gained independence 592 years ago and its name can be traced back to 1305.
It was a farmers village, burned to the ground in 1629 by Croats, and its textile industry was plagued by fires in 1725 and 1766, burning the place to the ground. In 1874 it was connected to the train network which made rich people from Amsterdam move here.
Now it's the place the tv and radio studio's are.
>>
>Rome

You know the drill
>>
File: salonika.jpg (52 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
salonika.jpg
52 KB, 600x400
Around 315 BC by King Cassander of Macedon
>>
>>1179872
what country is this village found in?
>>
>>1179942
The Netherlands
>>
founded in the 8th century when a crazy lady went up a hill and saw a vision of a town
>>
>>1179942
>>1179944
>fucking this
I was wondering which village we (Croats) burned down almost 600 years ago and where. By baron Trenck perhaps?
>>
>>1179958
>600 years ago
Excuse my autism.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigtuna

>oldest city in Sweden
>awesome old church made by the dominican order
>had alot of monasteries, but Gustav Vasa ransacked them all. Ruins remain

Its a cool town to visit and study, boring as ever to live there. Small town mentality with a “we are better than them” attitude.
>>
File: 2-sunbury-on-thames.jpg (178 KB, 760x508) Image search: [Google]
2-sunbury-on-thames.jpg
178 KB, 760x508
Small town in Surrey. Evidence of habitation since the bronze age, earliest written records are Anglo Saxon charters from the 900s AD. It's mentioned in the Domesday book too.

Not much interesting, but it was the residence of Admiral Hawke, who was very important in the Seven Years War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hawke,_1st_Baron_Hawke
>>
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaves,_Portugal

Not much to say about it.
>settlements since the Paleolithic
>city itself settled by the romans, military centre of some significance, known for it's thermal waters/baths (still is actually)
>captured by/surrendered to the french in the early 1800's, retaken like a week later

It's an ok place to visit for a day or a weekend, there's some stuff to see i suppose. Like a bridge from roman times we still use and is pretty much the symbol of the city. Boring as all hell to live in though.
Not interesting I'm afraid.
>>
>Riga
>more than 800 years old
>Germans did it
>>
People have lived here since the iron age, Vikings used it as a trading central, Same with the Danes when they invaded. It's pretty old.
>>
My town? The area is from around 900 AD as shown by niko ditch a danish boarder ditch. Manchester near by goes as far back as the Romans as Mamucian at least if not further
>>
From Bolton, in the UK. It's been inhabited since the Bronze age, and has been the town since the 10th century. It has one of the oldest pubs in Britain there, Ye Olde Man and Scythe. A bishops chair was kept there until the 1980s or so, when it was knackered by a member of The Who while they were on tour. During the civil war it was parliamentarian, as it was a puritan town. It was attacked three times, with the third being successful, and the Royalists sacked the town and killed 1500 people outside the pub. Lord Derby, the man responsible was hanged after the town was retaken. After that things were quiet till the industrial revolution, when it was home to some of britiains inventors, and among other things the spinning Jenny was invented there. After that it's pretty much just textiles and Peter Kay.
>>
>>1180069
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton
>>
Russia built railways across Finland during its reign. One of the largest stations this side of the eastern border was built near the Kymi. A town then sprung up around the station.

Finland eventually got its independance. After that, the civil war started and a lot of people were killed around here.
Then, in 1922 Kouvola was founded as a market town.

The Winter war came, and the soviets bombed Kouvola and its nearby regions, as it was a fairly large strategic advantage point near the Eastern border.

After the war, in 1960, Kouvola became one of the first six 'new cities' of Finland.

Sorry if I got anything blatantly wrong. I'm not too keen on Finnish history.
>>
Hey fuck you OP, I live in the actual original York which you copied and that confused the hell out of me.
>>
Istanbul here. You know the history as well as I do.
>>
>>1179958
Hilversum, they were mercenaries under command of the Italian count Ernesto Montecuccoli, which worked for Austria-Hapsburg.
>>
>>1178589
Founded around 800-700 bc, but inhabited since the neolithic, there was a really big neolithic settlement here with around 2,000 inhabitants.
>>
>>1178589
Holla at yo boy
Fuck this city mayne
Fucking Democrats and the colored ruined it for everyone
Everything was going great until the Irish and the niggers came.
>>
>>1178726
I'm Ojibwe (chippewa) and I have a number of family members who are above 6'3". I'm 6'1" myself.
>>
>>1178951
Americans invaded and fucking BURNED THE CITY DOWN

>Ottawa
A glorified lumber camp called By-town (after Colonel By who headed the Rideau Canal engineering project) that was chosen as the capital because it was far enough away from the border that it would take more than a day for American forces to occupy it
>>
File: áth cliath.png (148 KB, 1000x830) Image search: [Google]
áth cliath.png
148 KB, 1000x830
nearly 2000 years if you believe Ptolemy's Geographia

1028 if you think it began with snowniggers

still has a very small population for a capital city though
>>
>>1178589
What is now Manila was founded three times.

1) 1300s, The Kingdom of Tondo, a local Hindu kingdom, set up shop in the best harbor in the Northern Philippines for Chink trade.

2) 1400s, the Sultanate of Brunei got tremendously asshurt of the Tondo Kingdom's monopoly on trade that it attacked it and cut it in half. The Bruneian puppet state is called Maynila. Eventually Beunei declined and it was its own thing.

3) 1570's Spics got sick of their location in the middle of the Philippines and attacked north finally to have a better spot with trading with the Chinks. After fighting the Tondo and the Maynila they established the city of Manila on the place where Maynila had a fort set up to control the river trade.
>>
In 1605 some Spanish Guy founded the city and named it Merritt as a land grant from the Spanish King. Natives called Ais lived there and now are nonexistent. The entire Island was split up into what 7 towns (now districts for the city) and then in the 1950s/60s VAB was built on the very northern part and know we were the space industry until Space Shuttle Program stopped, but SpaceX launches from here.
Also, some guy made a Dragon at the very end of the island and was named Dragon Point then got destroyed by I think Katrina, has plans to get rebuilt.
>>
>>1180551
>Spacex launches from a place where AIIS used to live.

Ayy.
>>
Kinda complicated:

Newtownabbey was formed in April 1958 by the merging of the villages of Carnmoney, Glengormley, Jordanstown, Monkstown, Whiteabbey, Whitehouse and Whitewell.

Carnmoney was built to replace a former medieval city called Coole in 1333 that had been destroyed by enemies of the king. In this area is my housing estate of Rathcoole, which was constructed in the 1940s-1950s.
>>
>>1178589
Founded by the Usurper Macedon King Cassander, he named it after his wife
>>
>>1178589
Over 2000 years. Oldest continuously inhabited city in Spain. All sorts of cool shit happened here in the past, but now it's a shithole with some of the highest unemployment in the whole fucking country.
>>
I'm from Philadelphia, been around for 334 years. Lots of cool history there but unfortunately our city is dead retarded and fucked up so much historical preservation.

I'm further up now outside of Doylestown which is in one of PA's original counties. So just about as old but more rural. Lots of Mennonites around here too.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne
>>
>>1178589
770 years old.
>>
File: Sint-Martinuskerk,_Koolskamp.jpg (437 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
Sint-Martinuskerk,_Koolskamp.jpg
437 KB, 1920x1440
>>1178589
My town (pop. 2000) is from around the Romans. It's contemporary name is a bastardization of the Latin Coloscampum. Today it's called Koolskamp, Belgium.
>>
File: Örebro_slott.jpg (516 KB, 1920x1287) Image search: [Google]
Örebro_slott.jpg
516 KB, 1920x1287
>>1178589
not much to say really little over 700 years old, in the middle of sweden, used to host parliment meetings and one of the largest garrisons in sweden, also is the 7th largest city in sweden

has a pretty dope castle pic related
>>
Hometown: Springfield, Massachusetts U.S.A

Big history things are that basketball was invented there and volleyball was invented in the suburbs.

It was burned to the grown during a siege in 1675 during King Philips War.

Shay's rebellion, which Americans will remember from history class had it's major battle in the parking lot of the Burger King near our community college.

I think we burned some witches back in the day.

Springfield produced most of the military's weapons during peacetime when more production wasn't required. The 1903 Springfield rifle of WWI, WWII, and Call of Duty fame was invented here.

Dr. Suess, Timothy Leary, and Kurt Russel grew up here.
>>
>>1181123

Oh, I forgot, the Armory was built during the Revolution and George Washington and Henry Knox personally selected the site on a visit.

The assembly line was also invented in Springfield.
>>
What is the oldest continually settled city?

I remember hearing that Damascus has been around since the neolithic. Most of the old Sumerian cities have had the climate shift enough to make them uninhabitable.

I know Jerusalem predates David and is super old as well.
>>
>>1178589
>pic

What? York is close to 2,000 years old.
>>
>>1178589

My home town was a borough from 1207 and a city from 1880. It went from being a remote fishing village to the biggest port in the world in a couple of generations, and is still the biggest port in the country to this day despite being in a post-industrial wasteland,
>>
>>1181251
Gdansk?
>>
File: Rajah Sulaiman Matanda.jpg (38 KB, 288x396) Image search: [Google]
Rajah Sulaiman Matanda.jpg
38 KB, 288x396
>>1180538
Tondo was a separate city for much of its history until it was absorbed by Manila come the late 19th century.

Actually a lot of Metro Manila were separate cities until the 20th Century when the thing blobbed to include Las Pinas, Paranaque, and QC, so you could say it was founded the fourth time,
>>
From the time it was incorporated, my hometown's 230 years old. It has the "house the women built" from 1776 that was constructed when the men of the town were fighting in the continental army.
>>
File: Great_Dismal_Swamp_Canal.jpg (361 KB, 1200x766) Image search: [Google]
Great_Dismal_Swamp_Canal.jpg
361 KB, 1200x766
It was founded as Norfolk County in 1691, but it's only been Chesapeake, VA since 1963.
>>
>>1181290

Nope. Little further West.
>>
Melbourne, FL was founded in 1877 and literally has zero interesting history. The first schoolhouse built in the city is on FIT's campus in their botanical garden but the only actual "claim" to fame the city has is that Jim Morrison was born and lived here for a few years because back in the 40s it was a naval training center and his dad was in the navy. I've been by his house a lot because it's right next to a small crepe cafe me and my girlfriend like to go to.
>>
>>1178589
>520 years old
>first city of the New World
>natives completely extinct in less than 50 years
>destroyed by hurricane and rebuilt
>taken by Francis Drake and his clique
>eventually become french and spanish again
>taken by Haitians
>turned into capital city
>taken again by spaniards
>renamed Trujillo City because dictator's cock was small
>renamed as it was originally after dictator got cooked
>divided by a civil war and basically people would be killed by muh freedom dudes or gringos on the street
>just capital city for 50 years
>uninteresting city with too much pollution and trash, monkeys driving in the streets and robbers even in your toilet

I love my city (Santo Domingo)
>>
File: NewHaven.jpg (136 KB, 542x503) Image search: [Google]
NewHaven.jpg
136 KB, 542x503
I live in Waterbury, Connecticut.. CT is one of the 50 US states, East of New York State and Northeast of NYC, South of Maine and so on.
Waterbury itself was originally part of the New Haven Colony - which is now New Haven County.

To quote the Waterbury CT site:
The name changed to Waterbury on May 15, 1686, when the settlement was admitted as the 28th town in the Connecticut colony. It then included all or parts of the later town of Watertown, Plymouth, Wolcott, Prospect, Naugatuck, Thomaston and Middlebury.

Well, I'm confused as the Connecticut Colony from what I know was the Hartford area, but Waterbury sits pretty much dead center (N vs S) between the Yale University area (town of New Haven) and Hartford. Either way, Thomas Hooker was basically the founder of the State. He was a traveling preacher :)

We're called the Constitution State & the Nutmeg State, two separate mottos.

Re: Waterbury, again,
We are nicknamed "The Brass City" because we were once the capitol of the world's brass production. Hence our mall is called Brass Mill Center. We're also home to Timex, the watch makers, who employed my grandfather.

We have two hospitals: St. Mary's (Catholic) and Waterbury Hospital, both are private. The former won't do abortions... they're basically both the main employers today in Waterbury. Like many cities we're crumbling. We don't make useful products or services. But we have (forgive the stupid terminology) "big government". take a look at our charter:

http://www.waterburyct.org/filestorage/458/539/Approved-City-Charter.05-10-2011.pdf

If you really read it you end up seeing how Waterbury, like many municipal corporations (Yes, your town or city and even county in the US of A is a type of corporation) mainly are taking oaths to uphold themselves. They have little interest in the US Constitution.

If you're interested in Waterbury further I recommend the GIS site:

http://waterburyct.maps.arcgis.com/home/gallery.html
>>
122 years. I hate living in an area with no ancient history other than native americans. West Coast USA
>>
We had a riot caused by MC Hammer
>>
The greater area where I live was first controlled by something more than random tribes in about 1815 when pirate king Jean Lafitte established a community on Galveston Island working as a privateer for the Spanish during the Mexican Revolution. The Spanish and then the Mexicans began creating land grants for "Empresarios" to settle families from the US and Mexico, which is where the first permanent residents came from in ~1824.

The city that my address is listed as was incorporated in 1897.
>>
>>1181628
Eh.. what would you get by living in an area with ancient culture, like monuments say the Great Pyramid of Giza or something? Really would that make your life any more meaningful? I guess if you think so, sure.
>>
File: Embra.jpg (430 KB, 896x504) Image search: [Google]
Embra.jpg
430 KB, 896x504
>>1178589
Modern settlement has existed for at least 1300 years

Wouldn't know where to start with the history
>>
File: clifton-suspension-bridge-2.jpg (113 KB, 920x415) Image search: [Google]
clifton-suspension-bridge-2.jpg
113 KB, 920x415
At least 1000 years old.

Bristol was a starting place for early voyages of exploration to the New World. On a ship out of Bristol in 1497 John Cabot, a Venetian, became the first European since the Vikings to land on mainland North America.

Bristol was selected in 2009 as one of the world's top ten cities by international travel publishers Dorling Kindersley, In 2014 The Sunday Times named it as the best city in Britain in which to live, and Bristol also won the EU's European Green Capital Award in 2015.

Also got a cool bridge.
>>
My city was founded in 1623... Which is pretty old for the United states
>>
>>1181123
UMass student here, is springfield as shitty as everyone says it is?
>>
>>1178589
one of the 8 original shires of Virginia and by extension one of the first 8 counties of the US

so 382 years old
>>
>>1180440
Chicago?
>>
Fairhaven, Massachusetts

Settled in 1659

The first naval battle of the American Revolution was fought (and won) here, and we still have a fort with a few huge cannons from the period.

Henry Huttleston Rogers, one of the oil barons of the late 19th and early 20th century, was especially fond of the town and donated/ paid for a number of the buildings such as the high school, library, and town hall. His friend Mark Twain also lived here for a while. Other notable residents include Christopher Reeve, a few Roosevelts (some of them are buried here), and the first Japanese person to come to the United States.

A lot of attention goes to our neighbor New Bedford though. Used to be one of the richest cities on Earth due to the whaling industry and is now currently one of the biggest fishing ports on the east coast.

Pic related, my high school
>>
File: FairhavenHighSchool.jpg (370 KB, 1600x883) Image search: [Google]
FairhavenHighSchool.jpg
370 KB, 1600x883
>>1183336
Fucking hell
>>
>>1178589
Since cavemen

There was a battle around here and the town is named after one of the generals
Was supposed to be state capital but because conflicts with the church it didnt
There were a bunch of thugs from a local highschool who later bevame politicians but they arent really relevant anymore
Sometime before de seventies my great uncle killed eight policemen and didnt go to jail
>>
File: Dublin_Flag.png (114 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
Dublin_Flag.png
114 KB, 1000x500
>>1178589
1175 years old.
Brief greentext history of my city:
>Dublin founded by Danish Vikings in 841
>taken by the Irish under Malachy II in 980
>taken by the English under Strongbow in 1171
>becomes the capital and centre of English authority in Ireland for the next 750 years
>skipping over a ton of shit here but basically Dublin was still under English control the entire time
>Irish rebellion in Dublin in 1916 fails, leaders are executed
>some of the fighing in the War of Independence (1919-1921) happens here
>British troops leave Dublin as per the Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921 & it continues as the capital of the new Irish Free State
>Irish Civil War starts in Dublin in 1922, lasts until 1923
>neutral Dublin bombed by the Germans in 1941, 28 killed
>Ireland becomes a republic in 1949, Dublin is still the capital
>was bombed by loyalists in 1974, 27 killed (one of whom was a 9-month pregnant woman) and 300 injured
>can't think of anything else major that happened since then but didn't want to end on such a depressing note
>>
>>1178589
My town is mentioned in the Domesday book so probably more than 1000 years old
>>
>founded in 1869
>most of the county was owned by a Spaniard family
>Americans came along and bought the land
Pretty peaceful history for the most part.

>parents' hometown has an Aztec name
>church is old
>an Aztec manuscript was found inside the church
>>
>>1178589
My city is only 1 year younger then yours.
>>
Founded around the 3rd century BC by some smelly celts
>>
Tampa, 1849
Fucking Florida, inhospitable shithole
>>
THE CITY THAT BRICKED THE WORLD

Has had brick factories did some shit but now sit uptown in ruins
>>
>>1183014
didn't bristol make a lot of it's wealth out of the slave trade?

great city but people drive like they're in a fucking third world country and that includes the whites
>>
>>1178589
My town is first mentioned in 754 as a stop in the funeral procession of Saint Bonifatius, so probably a little bit older than that. But at least 1262 years.
>>
>>1178589
Founded by Britain in the beginning of the 20th century.
(It's not in the UK/Anglosphere)
>>
My town is mentioned in the Domesday book, so at least a thousand years.
>>
>>1178589
about 800 years,not too old
>>
File: Grenade_whale.png (175 KB, 545x600) Image search: [Google]
Grenade_whale.png
175 KB, 545x600
My hometown is first mentionned in Strabon and Ptolemee.
Then it remains a cosy fishermen's place until 1666 when Louis XIV decided to make it bigger and better.
That worked.
The town grew to became an important trade and fishing place.
England invaded once,then got btfo, so we build a fort.
Bu basically 350 years of peace, chilling and waterjousting.

Also Coat of arms is a grande-lauching whale
>>
>>1178589
About 2500 years old. First it was a Thracian settlement, then a Roman town/military camp etc. Also some Roman emperor died in a battle here :(.
>>
>>1188170
Adrianople?
>>
>>1188213
Fits all of the requirements but no.
>>
>>1183264

It was. It used to be in the top 10 list of violent cities. Now it's only like top 30. The 2011 Tornado just made it look more shitty though by fucking things up.

It's basically a smaller scale Detroit or Buffalo but with more history.
>>
Where I currently live:

Raleigh, NC.

Close to 300 years old. Obviously capital of the state. I moved here recently and don't know too much history but here is some cool shit:

Outside the Capital we have two old cannons. They were made in France in 1776 and used by the Revolutionaries. In the Civil War they dusted them off and remounted them. The Union recaptured them. In the early 1900's they were returned.

Today they flank a statue of George Washington right outside the Legislature.
>>
>>1188225

What country are you in? I could narrow it from there.

Also, who was the Roman Emperor who the Persians allegedly stuffed and kept in the palace court?

I recall that happening but forget if it was the Parthians who did it or the next dynasty.
>>
>>1188295
I'm from Bulgaria. The emperor died with his son and was the first emperor killed in a battle against a foreign enemy. I think Valerian got captured by the Persians, not sure tho.
>>
File: The Roman Bridge.jpg (40 KB, 570x373) Image search: [Google]
The Roman Bridge.jpg
40 KB, 570x373
>>1178589
I'd say pretty damn old, but I guess that depends on how you define it.

Romans built a fort in the area in the 1st cetury AD, but it wasn't made an official Burgh until the early 1300's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musselburgh
>>
>>1181236
>York, Pennsylvania
>United States
C'mon man.
>>
File: railroad ave.png (794 KB, 940x600) Image search: [Google]
railroad ave.png
794 KB, 940x600
A little over 100 years ago Teddy Haller came around and said "mmmm these some good trees" and so a logging town was built.

Somebody ironically burned a cross here once.
>>
Diomedes came and it was already there.
>>
>>1188531
ALLEGEDLY
Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.