[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TL:DR description of hundred years war? Any good movies, shows,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (163 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
163 KB, 1280x720
TL:DR description of hundred years war? Any good movies, shows, games, comics about it?
>>
>>1174150
robin hood (2010)
>>
>>1174168
>Any good movies
>>
>>1174150
>Dynastic Conflict turns into a war that defines two nations and their relationship for the next 400 years.
>>
File: 122323412343254325213542.jpg (701 KB, 1389x454) Image search: [Google]
122323412343254325213542.jpg
701 KB, 1389x454
>>1174150

Part 1
>House of Plantagenet: We are a real Kingdom recognize me
>House of de Valois: The fuck you is vassel
>Edward the III starts carving up French ass
>Bubonic plague don't mind me
>Both: uh fuck this
>House de Valois: Shit our governments fucked right now. Edward... lets sign a treaty
>House of Plantagenet: Ok.
>Enter the Treaty of Brétigny and later ratified as the Treaty of Calais

Part II
>War of Breton Succession
>House de Valois: Well this worked out in our favor, Edward "The Black Prince" we request your presence in Paris
>Based Black Prince: Fuck that, I'm sick as a dog and you guys will probably kill me.
>House de Valois: The fuck you just say vassel!? Bertrand du Guesclin, fuck their shit up!
>Bertrand du Guesclin: yes my king.
>Bertrand du Guesclin proceeds to pack English shit in.
>Based Black Prince dies of illness
>House of Plantagent: Well shit....
>King Edward dies
>England: Fuck me.
>Several temporary throne inheritors trade hands
>House of Lancaster: Hold on guys we got this.
>Enter the Treaty of Bruges where England had to give up a lot. Now with guess star Pope Gregory XI.

Next will be the wrap up
>>
File: hundred_years__war.jpg (300 KB, 900x713) Image search: [Google]
hundred_years__war.jpg
300 KB, 900x713
>>1174397
Part III

>House of Lancaster: Like I said guys we got this
>House of de Valois: Whoa wait the fuck!?
>England Invades Normandy
>House of de Valois: OH SHIT!!
>Battle of Agincourt
>House of Lancaster: Hey Frenchy, how do you like my new bows? They blot out the sun for you?
>House de Valois: Crossbows are better faggot
>England takes most of Normandy
>Enter the Treaty of Troyes
>England and Burgandy: I like where this is going.
>Several years pass
>Joan d'Arc: Hold on France, I got this.
>House of Lancaster: Who the fuck is this.... person?
>House de Valois: Doesn't matter, were winning now.
>House of Lancaster: CROSS DRESSING WITCH!!
>House de Valois: BULLSHIT!
>House of Lancaster: Burn baby burn, purging inferno!
>House of de Valois:SHE WAS 19 YOU SON OF A BITCH!
>John, Duke of Bradford dies.
>Burgundy: Fuck this shit, I'm out.
>Enter the Treaty of Arras
>House of Lancaster: well this sucks....
>House of de Valois: Fine, you're a kingdom but fuck off French soil deal?
>House of Lancaster: How about we keep Normandy but you keep Aquitaine and throw in Pale of Calias for good measure.
>House de Valois: Fine. Don't try to lay claim to the French Crown ever again you newt.
>House of Lancaster: Fine.... you're mother smelled of elderberries.
>Enter the Treaty of Picquigny
>>
File: Bladestorm.jpg (109 KB, 426x500) Image search: [Google]
Bladestorm.jpg
109 KB, 426x500
>>1174150

I had a lot of fun with this game when I was a teenager. You play as a mercenary that can pick up contracts and fight for either side.
Though if you actually want to learn about the details of the war I wouldn't look here.
>>
Are Sumption's books any good?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqimlFcJsM

all you need to know
>>
>>1174150
England goes to war at France claiming to be rightful heirs to the throne but generally just wanting to expand their territory in France and to rule that territory in their own sovereignty, i.e. not as vassals to the French king.

They end up winning a ton of battles and capturing the French King at Poitiers mostly thanks to superiority of the longbow and aggressive-battle-seeking strategy. Half of Southern France gets ceded to England in the humiliating treat of Bretigny (1360).

Nine years later the conquered French territories turn to France for help because they're tired of being heavily taxed. Through legal maneuvering and Fabian strategy, the French conquer almost all the territory they lost back by 1389, where there is another treaty.

The two nations then take a break from fighting each other to fight civil wars: the Lancastrian dynasty rises in England and dukes of Burgundy struggle for increasing independence in France. The Lancastrian kings eventually reopen the war with France in 1415 partly to unite England against a common foe. They find allies in the Burgundians. Winning tons of battles with their longbows, again, Normandy is conquered and Paris occupied. However, the English cannot push south of the Loire valley into the "Kingdom of Bourges" ruled by the last surviving Valois, the Dauphin Charles. The English are defeated at the Siege of Orleans in 1429 and slowly are pushed back. The English proved unable to maintain their occupation over their foreign territories. The Burgundians, having more or less attained their objective of independence, desert their English allies. Paris is surrendered back to French in 1435 in exchange for a truce.

War reopens by 1449. Normandy is liberated in 1450 and English lose southern French territories by 1453. The war ends without a truce.

>>1174610
Yes, they are very good. Although they are not as definitive as they'd like to be. I'd recommend reading them plus Roger's War Cruel and Sharp.
>>
>>1174176
Laurence Olivier and Kenneth Branaugh have both made great film versions of Shakespeare's Henry V.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.