[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he right ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Virtù & Fortuna.jpg (345 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Virtù & Fortuna.jpg
345 KB, 1200x1600
>>
>>1173422
Mostly yes.
What he says is basically realpolitik ante litteram.
There are some details you might disagree with, but the overarching ideas are pretty much unassailable.
>>
I have such a hardon for marble sculptures. They look so immortal.
>>
File: NeverForget.png (130 KB, 401x257) Image search: [Google]
NeverForget.png
130 KB, 401x257
>>1173422
His ideas are correct for his time, but can gradually be taken less seriously with the passing of each generation.

That is not to say they aren't still applicable, but that merely the violence of political circumstances is on the decline, in general, and that technological advancements allows us now to focus more on how things "ought to be" than we used to.
>>
File: 1463558992985.jpg (102 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1463558992985.jpg
102 KB, 600x800
He looks really smug so he probably knew something normies don't
>>
>>1173540
>but that merely the violence of political circumstances is on the decline
Top kek. Only in the west, everywhere else politicians and activists still get murdered all the fucking time.
>>
>>1173422

>was he right?

Prince or Discourses on Livy
>>
>>1173422
Can't he just be summarized by saying "be pragmatic"? That's eternal.
>>
>>1173779
Kinda, the approach to issues is pretty much that.
But he also makes several practical statements about governance, so that's got to be considered too.
>>
>>1173793
But he makes them following his basic idea and aplying them to the reality of his time.
>>
>>1173800
Yes, but this does not necessarily make them correct. Just because he starts from correct assumptions doesn't mean he can't make a mistake in his logic or overlook some factors.
Like the part about arming the people you conquered and living among them to engender loyalty. The fuck is that supposed to mean? Is a prince supposed to abandon his power base and put himself among shitloads of people with motive and means to kill him? See, I agree with being pragmatic. I agree that a prince needs the loyalty of his people. I'm not convinced with the means Niccolò auspicates.
>>
ITT: people who've read the wiki page on Machiavelli and nothing else
>>
File: lesmugsatireman.png (233 KB, 510x295) Image search: [Google]
lesmugsatireman.png
233 KB, 510x295
>>1173553
>>
>>1173613
>only in the west
>/his/ giving a fuck about something not western
top kek
>>
>>1174179

/his/ never shuts the fuck up about China, Islam and Japan
>>
>>1174192
But does /his/ actually care about there politics in any way besides through memes? I think not.
>>
>>1174196

You could say the same about the Western politics memes on here. Cut out the virtue signalling bullshit.
>>
>>1173422
Honestly it's basically a more precise and diplomacy orientated Art of War.

I.e groundbreaking for statesmen who are in the 20th percentile of intelligence and the general barely literate class at the time, but commonsensical nowadays
>>
>>1174216

Have you even read it?
>>
>>1174222
What is 'it'? Good job at referencing something that literally isn't there you fucktard, could be anything in this context.

I've read half of art of war and realised I didnt need to

Yes, I have read the Prince and the first two copies of the discourse

Thanks for your patronising bullshit and a relevant counterargument
>>
>>1174241

>Honestly it's a more precise
>referencing something that literally isn't there

Is your IQ about 80?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.