[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the correct answer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: trolly problem.jpg (40 KB, 590x252) Image search: [Google]
trolly problem.jpg
40 KB, 590x252
What's the correct answer?
>>
Schrodinger's trolley.
>>
>>1168268
Im not sure I understand. Am I to assume that if I have the trolley hit the trolley inventor, that there is some damage to the timeline?
>>
>>1168278
If you hit the trolley inventor then the trolley wouldn't exist causing a paradox since without a trolley he couldn't have died.

If you hit your grandfather you also cause a paradox because then you wouldn't exist to flip the switch.
>>
I'd hit the trolley guy. It's not as if the trolley would just poof out of existence forever if he died. Someone else would just invent it.

I mean like for instance half a dozen people in America invented the telegraph simultaneously. The only reason we know Samuel Morse instead of any of those other guys was because the government granted him the patent.
>>
>>1168285
>If you hit the trolley inventor then the trolley wouldn't exist

False. Someone else would've invented it.
>>
>>1168374
You can't possibly know that.
>>
>>1168268

The correct answer is you don't pull the lever. Your grandfather can die without affecting causality because you didn't pull the lever. The guy who invented the trolley cannot die, so the lever must already be set to the grandfather, because by deduction it is the only possible option to remain.
>>
>kill trolley guy
>invent the trolley
>$$$
>>
File: amin_yashed.jpg (246 KB, 1024x1198) Image search: [Google]
amin_yashed.jpg
246 KB, 1024x1198
>>1168268
If I understand correctly, the guy who invented the trolley is getting killed by a trolley in his current timeline. If that's the case, then the tracks he's tied to indicate that he's already invented the trolley. So the choice is clear, kill him. He's already served his purpose anyways. And what better way to die than at the hands of your own invention?
>>
>>1168268
Guy who invented the Trolley. He's clearly already done his job, else there wouldn't be trolley tracks to tie him to.
>>
>>1168374
The events that lead up to you making this decision surely wouldn't happen though because muh chaos theory, so the trolley you're in control would still cease to exist and you couldn't hit the creator, right?
>>
Flip a coin, do as it want.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.