[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the American media bombarding people with hedonism without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: d96.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
d96.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
Why is the American media bombarding people with hedonism without raising a philosophical discussion about it? Almost seems like a religious indoctrination.
>>
>>1161718
Hedonists don't like acknowledging things that don't bring them pleasure. That's the nature of it.
>>
Because Americans are stupid
>>
BECAUSE IT PRINTS MONEY, BIIIIIIIIIIITCH

But seriously, it makes the money and they fill a demand that the consumer makes of them.
>>
Why is it the media's job to initiate that conversation? They're publicly traded corporations with bottom-lines not civic services.
>>
Because people don't think things like long term goals exist, or that hedonist can't use delayed gratification

It's just like when people say athiests have no morals
>>
>>1161752
I'm just wondering if there is any specific reason of why they stubbornly refuse to initiate that conversation. other than >>1161748
of course.
>>
>>1161718
because of consumerism of course. It's not like this is a new trend. Capitalism has been getting out of hand since the 80's (no, I'm not a commie)
>>
How is an advertisement supposed to pay for itself if it tells people to only by stuff they really need? What else are they going to invest in if not their own hedonism? Give it to the government for something useful? Like what? World War 3? Space exploration? Too many people think space exploration and colonization will just fall into the laps of future generations to invest in it now.
>>
Yeah

Fuck you

My job is to make money, not preach your pretentious philosophies

Make your own media then
>>
File: 1341771896998.jpg (179 KB, 539x946) Image search: [Google]
1341771896998.jpg
179 KB, 539x946
>>1161802
>Investing in the future is a bad thing because there are no immediate returns

Fuck this gay earth
>>
Cuz it works: the people are slaves of supernormal stimuli.
>>
Capitalism is a vast conspiracy to make people happy.
>>
>>1161952
Nah, rather contemporary capitalism is a system that has the ability to exploit human desires - as this is what people will consume and pay for - which includes happiness.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.