[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
African Kingdoms and Empires
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: Mansa-Musa1.jpg (199 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
Mansa-Musa1.jpg
199 KB, 500x461
What do you think /his/?

http://www.siliconafrica.com/terra-nullius/
>>
>>1155912

90 % of the populations of the mezoamerican civilizations died off after the euroepan invasions
yet we have plenty of surviving pre-european architecture all across the continent

history is different from conspiracy theories
>>
File: 89_full.jpg (2 MB, 2984x1679) Image search: [Google]
89_full.jpg
2 MB, 2984x1679
But there are thousands of historical buildings in Sub-Saharan Africa

This is just making excuses for things that don't need to be excused. It's like the old "Africans could just hunt and gather because food was so bountiful so they never developed agriculture" meme, even though they had millet coming out of their ears
>>
File: Rabah_photo.jpg (54 KB, 666x1015) Image search: [Google]
Rabah_photo.jpg
54 KB, 666x1015
>>1155912
I actually love the history of pre colonial Africa, but to blame the Europeans for all of Africa's problems is reverse /pol/ tier stupidity. Put it this way, the bornu empire collapsed when a Sudanese slave trader left Sudan with 1000 men and invaded. That shows you how weak some African states were. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabih_az-Zubayr
Pic related the Sudanese guy's head on a pole after the French fought him.
>>
>>1155951
I think the problem is looking at Africa as if it's one big uniform place. That picture is Ethiopia which was civilised before Western europe was, but compare that to Liberia or the inner Congo (I.e the places with the most jungle), it's like comparing Moscow to the most extreme part of the Russian far east.
>>
>>1155951
Yeah, but the thing about that is that most of them occur either where the Arab slave trade took place or where yuros showed up for a bit of plundering. Not much independent development of structure took place.
>>
>>1155912
Us (south/central americans) were delayed by thousands of years because we walked pal.
For some reason my continent have less vectors and our diseases are weaker compared with the ones found in Africa/Asia that´s why we were obliterated by the old world diseases (Asia + Euro + Africa).
Not your fault just survival of the fittest (mentally/physically/physiologically or lucky).
>>
File: Batman thinks.gif (408 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
Batman thinks.gif
408 KB, 500x345
>>1155912
Wasen't Kilwa and Mombasa arabic trading ports?
>>
>>1156153
they were swahili, i.e. basically bantu peoples heavily influenced by contact with arab and indian traders
>>
I didn't both reading the article because it looked stupid. Some of Africa's heritage definitely was destroyed in the colonial era, especially in West Africa. Benin was burned and looted while Kumasi was sacked and then the remains demolished over the years. From what I've seen of colonial photographs, Kumasi had some really beautiful adobe architecture. Benin's architecture wasn't as intricate but was much larger and grander. None of it survives today.

Italians also fucked a lot of shit up; they blew up the Nubian pyramids and built a road through the ruins of Aksum's largest palace (they also stole an obelisk but returned it later on).

But overall, most of Africa's stone architecture survives fine, while the rest of it was adobe or wood which tends to fall apart over time anyway if not maintained. Cities like Kano don't have much of their original architecture left today, not because the British destroyed everything but because it was replaced by more modern cement buildings with corrugated iron roofs. Djenne's original mosque was destroyed by Jihadists before the French commissioned a reconstruction, and they also sponsored the construction of dozens for traditional style buildings. It wasn't a simple story of Europeans destroying everything.

Africa's architecture mostly doesn't survive because wood and mud architecture rarely does, and because there's not that much of it in the first place. It's the same everywhere. Nothing survives of the Han Dynasty's wooden architecture either.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.