[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would /his/ say is the most significant sporting event (or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: Joe-Louis-Max-Schmeling.jpg (177 KB, 640x499) Image search: [Google]
Joe-Louis-Max-Schmeling.jpg
177 KB, 640x499
What would /his/ say is the most significant sporting event (or events) in history?

>pic related. The fights between these two couldn't paint a better picture as to what was going on in those times.
>>
File: file.png (403 KB, 858x429) Image search: [Google]
file.png
403 KB, 858x429
>>
>inb4 1936 Olympics
>>
>>1149271
>>1149265
goddamn it
>>
>>1149237
The Ashes
Thrilla in Manila
Miracle on Ice
Italy vs. West Germany 1970
MLB World Series 2004
>>
Seriously, if we're doing Boxing you're really not going to do better than O'Sullivan's unification tour.
>>
>>1149237
the first time around, schmeling brutalized louis. it set black confidence back a long time.
>>
File: file.png (4 MB, 2048x1333) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4 MB, 2048x1333
>>
>>1149275
None of those reflected the times as much as Louis vs. Schmeling.
>>
18-1 easily. It shook the world so hard it created /sp/.
>>
>>1149286
>reflected the times
This is sports writing for "easy to meme about."
>>
>>1149286
They're incredibly relevant on the story of their respective sports though.
As much as Louis and Schmeling were incredibly significant and probably reflected the times, Ali vs Frazier is clearly the most talked rivalry ever.
>>
>>1149286
>Implying Ali-Fraser wasn't significant
>>
File: file.png (208 KB, 366x480) Image search: [Google]
file.png
208 KB, 366x480
>>
Honestly, if we're meming about reflecting the times, shouldn't it be Louis vs. Carnera?
>>
File: Le_laughing_dictator.gif (4 MB, 298x224) Image search: [Google]
Le_laughing_dictator.gif
4 MB, 298x224
>>1149292
>Mfw calling my cousin in Boston to rub it in afterwards
I swore I heard some glass break on the other end of the line.
>>
>>1149275
The Rumble in the Jungle was much more significant than the Manilla match though.

Mobutu used it to mask the political dealings he was making behind the scenes and used brutal force to suppress overly zealous revelers.
>>
>>1149411
The first Ali Fraizer was more significant than The Rumble in the Jungle.
>>
>>1150707
Ali Fraizer 1*
>>
>>1149237
The Massacre of the Israeli Team in the Munich Olympics :DDDD
>>
File: 21lrcxc.jpg (126 KB, 800x1026) Image search: [Google]
21lrcxc.jpg
126 KB, 800x1026
It put a big spotlight on Congo.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.