[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books on strategy and tactics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Battle_of_ZAMA_Map.jpg (86 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Battle_of_ZAMA_Map.jpg
86 KB, 600x400
I recently read Hannibal by Gisbert Haefs and I came to the conlusion that there is something that escapes me whenever I read about war no matter if the book is historically accurate or just a fantasy book.

Like Im only seeing the logistics of war and armies from a lot of points of view without ever getting the big picture, for example, I search some of the battles and I always see these cool maps with army placements and how they progress as a battle unfolds and they always fascinate me, it makes me want to some research on the subject, so I started reading the Art of War, and while its principles are considered universal I also want to read something more specific and down to the nitty-gritty.

Do you know of any books that would help me scratch this itch? any period would do.

So far I picked up How Great Generals win, by Alexander Bevin, besides the Art of War.
>>
File: ChhwL1ZWMAA39j7.jpg (46 KB, 600x295) Image search: [Google]
ChhwL1ZWMAA39j7.jpg
46 KB, 600x295
Now that I remember a friend of mine mentioned the Osprey books, are they good for what Im looking for besides the pretty pictures?
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 195x234) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 195x234
>>1142856
>Alexander Bevin

Is he any good?

>Forward into Battle

And pic related are pretty good.
>>
File: lindy.jpg (8 KB, 178x228) Image search: [Google]
lindy.jpg
8 KB, 178x228
>>1142902
>near circular leaf spear
>small round shield
>lorica segmentata
what era legionary is this supposed to be
>>
>>1144080

so far, so good.
>>
You could read von Clausewitzor a biography of Napoleon. Or an autobiography, maybe, but I don't know if he wrote one.
desu, if you really want to understand that sort of thing, you should enlist.
>>
>>1144901

I have some heart problems so they would probably reject me

but yeah I guess that you eventually have to learn that sort of stuff if you want to progress in the ranks, wonder what kind of reading material they have.
>>
>>1144901
>you should enlist
Bad idea, they might ask you to fight and die for [reason], without asking you if you agree first.
>>
>>1142856
The Prince is short and an interesting read and I think most modern edition include Machiavel's Art of War too.
>>
>>1145067

I didnt know the prince was that kind of book
>>
>>1145919
The Prince is more focused on politics, but it helps understanding the Art of War that follows.
>>
last bump
>>
ancient stuff:
delbruk's warfare in antiquity series, lendon's soldiers and ghosts, kagan's the peloponnesian war. primary sources xenephon is very good and thucydides is pretty good. after that you might want to tackle hutchinson's sparta: unfit for empire and/or the spartan army by lazenby

a recent book I read on french and indian war that is really good is preston's braddock's defeat. he teaches at the citadel and has a real handle on all sides involved including indians and does a really good job of putting the campaign in a larger context and describing the battle and logistics. rare to see a book that does it all well, highly recommended

if you want something more modern my warning is things get really complex and they throw in a lot of gay acronyms but you can't really beat glantz's histories of the eastern front ww2.
>>
>>1148649

any good places to get these books? I cant find them anywhere and the one private tracker Im signed on has them as VIP downloads

bastards
>>
>>1142856
http://pastebin.com/Sy6aKb39
>>
>>1148964

holy buttfucks anon this is amazing
>>
Guderians book
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.