[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: >Post where you live/spent most of your life >Post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 1461241453089.jpg (33 KB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
1461241453089.jpg
33 KB, 500x287
ITT:
>Post where you live/spent most of your life
>Post what people usually think of/what you think of when people there talk about "the war"
>>
Bulgaria
Nothing really, maybe some old commies might think of WWII, the same way they refer to the USSR as "the Union"
>>
Brazil.

Nothing at all. We haven't been in a war in eons. We got Paraguay pretty good back in the 1860s though. Fucking slaughtered them. Good times.
>>
>>1142776
USA
Prob Afghanistan, unless in the deep south. Then maybe the Civil War. Ive never heard anyone really say "the war" abstractly
>>
>>1142776
New Zealand

WW2, maybe Gallipoli in WW1. We had land wars back in the day but no one cares about them.
>>
>>1142776
UK

When we kicked old Adolf's arse.
>>
NYC, USA
Afghanistan or Iraq War. 9/11 is mentioned
>>
Leicester UK

"evil whitey, islam dindunuffin in ww2"
>>
>>1143906
>implying the UK did shit except hitch on with the guys who were actually winning
>>
>>1143913
>muh soviets did it alone
pathetic
>>
>>1142776
>Kansas
>The Syrian-Iraq War, unless you mean "when I was in The War," which would be Iraq or Afghanistan
>>
People are still butthurt about the civil war between the royalists/liberals later turned collaborators and commies, that happened during ww2.

It's why we can't have nice things, you'll have a politician propose a law about bicycles and someone's gonna go >muh commie ww2 civilian killings or some bullshit unrelated shit
>>
>>1142776
America
>Jenny wanted to split half the order so one side is pineapple, but everyone except Jeff whose in it just to get laid fucking hates pineapple
>I mean come on it's fucking movie night can we for once just get some pizza without having a fit over the toppings, I don't even like deep dish
>>
File: What?.gif (3 MB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
What?.gif
3 MB, 400x224
>>1143906
>we kicked old Adolf's arse.
>>
Also hueland here.

I mean historically we participated in the Paraguay War, slaughtered them, we had some internal rebellions and some minor participation in WW2.

But we don't really talk about our participation on them.

Honestly, what probably comes to mind is either any of today's conflicts of the WW2 that shows on American shows & videogames.
>>
Spanish Civil War
Leftist will say that people were brutally slaugthered and that we need to find their corpse.
Rigth wing will say
>Franco dindu nuffin, it was the situation
>There's no reason to delve in the past

And the second one is truth in the sense that lot of people are tireful when it comes to finding the corpse of their wife's son granddad
>>
File: 1444633249812.png (164 KB, 450x430) Image search: [Google]
1444633249812.png
164 KB, 450x430
>>1144039
I think he meant when the US and Russia kicked adolf's arse. He just misspoke, forgive him.
>>
>>1142776
US
only older people ever really say "the war" so vietnam
>>
Canadian, probably ww1, peacekeeping in the Balkans, or the recent Iraq war.
>>
>>1142776
Singapore.

Probably the only way being WW2. No one is really that mad at japan for the Sook Ching Massacre anymore though I hear some anecdotes about it
>>
>>1142776
WWII and Japanese Atrocities of course.
>>
Australia, and probably Vietnam, buy that's because we don't have a "the war".
>>
>Where are you from
Michigan
>The war
FUCK YOU, OHIO! YOU CAN HAVE YOUR STUPID PORT TOWN!
>>
>>1144293
desu senpai I doubt most people here even know about the toledo war.
>>
File: Max-Header.jpg (104 KB, 960x480) Image search: [Google]
Max-Header.jpg
104 KB, 960x480
>Hereford
>WE WUZ GALLIPOLI

although most cunts these days probably dont even realise there was war in Europe at all
and im only exaggerating a little bit
>>
>>1143909
that is true though
>>
>>1142776
Well, since 2014 the "war" often refer to WWI because we have a lot of events around it.

But basically since there are fewer WWII veteran each year, "the war" said by an old person or an algerian pseudo-gangsta is the Algerian War of independance (ended in 1962).

This said WWII is still very present.
>>
Kosovo
Muh serbian genocide
>>
Turkland

War of independance or Gallipoli. Maybe liberation of Cyprus or Korean War in context.
>>
>>1142776
Hungary

Probably WWII. Not much else to call "the war". If someone else says "the war" I'll assume it's WWII as well unless the context makes it obvious it's not.
>>
Massachusetts.
Iraq/Afghanistan.
>>
>>1144402
What about the Imam that inspired Hitler?
>>
>>1145052
>some buttblasted arab hates jews
>implying this caused one of the biggest genocides recorded in history
I don't wanna be one of those guys that keep crying about /pol/ here, but please use your brain
>>
>>1142776
Israel
>Oh, did the new war start already?
>>
Miami, USA

Depends on who you ask. Some answers will be WW2. Others will be the Cold War/The Revolution.
>>
N. Ireland

For Republicans and Loyalists, it refers to the Troubles betwen 70's and 90's as they consider it an low intensity conflict between ethno-nationalisms (Irish and British). Unionists are uncomfortable refering to it as a war generally because it gives legitimacy to its enemies and would rather label it a period of pointless "terrorism" against the legitmate British government. FOr Unionists, "the war" more often refers to WW1 where many fought in campains such as a Somme and holds an important place in their memory. Non physical force Irish Nationalists also generally avoid the terminology of war for the troubles because they're pussies.
>>
File: 1463099455007.jpg (55 KB, 437x468) Image search: [Google]
1463099455007.jpg
55 KB, 437x468
>>1142776
Canada

1812 personally, I think it's the only time Canadian troops had to fight on Canadian soil.
But WW1 also pops up.
>>
>>1145049

Seconding this. "The war" is WW2, occasionally WW1. The conflicts of 1703-1711, 1848-49 and 1956 are not referred to as "wars" in our language, and everything else is too obscure for the public consciousness to be just called "the war".
>>
Not really much to pick from here in central Europe
>>
>>1145144
Bullshit no way. No way when you say "the war" in Canada the average person thinks of 1812.

They will think of either WW2 or the war on terror
>>
>>1142776
Denmark. Definitely WW2. When my grandmother mentions the soldiers it always fascinates me that it was really not that long ago.
>>
>>1143944
did he ever say that?
the implication is that America was the one who actually won the western front and Brits keep pretending they were more than a glorified aircraft carrier
>>
>>1144400
Australians suck more at history than anyone else in the Anglosphere, including America
>glorifying Gallipoli once a year
>having no idea whatsoever that Australia was in Vietnam
>probably not knowing why the Gallipolli campaign was even started in the first place

On a side note:
>bashing Americans for being "pompous"
>unironically say, occasionally in the same breath, that Australia is objectively the best nation to ever exist
>>
>>1145232
just realized that Hereford is a town in England
my apologies, I just get fucking pissed off every time I see the word "Gallipolli"
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.