[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I wanted to start learning more about History where do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: download (6).jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
8 KB, 275x183
If I wanted to start learning more about History where do I start?
>>
>>1142407
Your family and where your from
>>
>>1142407
With the Greeks
>>
>>1142508
No, the earliest written records of the Indus Valley, Mesopatamian, and Egyptian cultures
>>
>>1142520
>implying those cultures were ever relevant
I agree with>>1142508
The Greeks are the best start
>>
Read primary sources
>>
>>1142534
>relevant
>>>/int/
>>
>>1142407
in library
>>
Start with the definitive history of your country, then a history of your socioeconomic region, then some world history. At that point you'll know enough to start picking subfields and specialties to investigate.

For instance I'm American, so I went with this sequence:

People's History of America by Howard Zinn
Europe: A History by Norman Davies
The History of the World by J. M. Roberts
>>
>>1142407
Arise with the Argives.
>>
>>1142407
Leave this place.
>>
>>1142862
This
>>
Read the Penguin History of the World, it's a good overview of world history that will give you a good basis for digging deeper.

Honestly, I still read the occasional historical book but most of my knowledge I get these days just digging through Wikipedia and easily available original sources online, like first-hand accounts of say a 17th century soldier's experience in the religious wars.

History works best by focusing on the big timescales of history but to really understand you'll need first-hand knowledge of those times, to imagine what they were like and bring them to life.
>>
>>1142588
>People's History of America by Howard Zinn
dont
>>
>>1142898
why?
>>
File: Onion War.jpg (376 KB, 700x1030) Image search: [Google]
Onion War.jpg
376 KB, 700x1030
>>1142407
RUN!!!
>>
>>1142550
This. In original languages
>>
>>1142905
not historical? Biased towards left-wing politics?
>>
>>1142550
>>1142914
You won't see the big picture or significance of primary source without some foundational knowledge.
>>
>>1142919
oh ok
>>
>>1142919
Something to take its place my friend?
>>
File: 6236492142_0.jpg (220 KB, 900x1122) Image search: [Google]
6236492142_0.jpg
220 KB, 900x1122
>>1142922
>>
>>1142520
>written records of the Indus Valley
Literally untranslatable.
>>
File: US.jpg (89 KB, 500x704) Image search: [Google]
US.jpg
89 KB, 500x704
>>1142935
Pic related, with a whole shitload of primary source excerpts and readings from other sources to supplement it. Especially concerning Nixon and Jackson, Garraty hates them, and it shows. Also, some Zinn excerpts are a good way to begin learning about historiography and spotting bias in sources, since Zinn is so unashamedly biased that it's pretty easy to spot his more insane tangents. ('American entry into WW1 was a capitalist plot to stop the proletariat from rising up!' Is my personal favorite.)
>>
>>1142588
>Europe: A History by Norman Davies
>not A History of the Modern World by Robert Roswell Palmer

I mean Davies is great to, but c'mon, Palmer was a better writer and a better Historian.
>>
>>1142407
battle of kadesh then move on
>>
Genesis 1:1
>>
>>1142407
which bit of history are you most interested in?
>>
>>1142407
Avoid this >>1142550

You will not understand shit unless you get an edition with massive amounts of footnotes. Start with prestigious (note that this doesn't mean famous) scholars and, after that, read the primary source.
>>
File: Curious.jpg (23 KB, 254x395) Image search: [Google]
Curious.jpg
23 KB, 254x395
>>1142407
The past
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>1142407
Just start with a subject that interests you the most. If you have fun with history you're more likely to keep with it and want to learn more.

Play video games set in historic times like Total War or the Paradox games. They might not be accurate but they'll probably spark your interest in the subject so when you read about it you might enjoy it more.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.