[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paracas mummies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 19
File: paracas.jpg (400 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
paracas.jpg
400 KB, 1600x1000
What we know:
>Several hundred mummies found
>often including preserved fabric, hair skin tendons,
>age between
>abnormal anatomy
>elongated skulls
>varying sizes, at times up to 30% higher brain volume than Homo sapiens
>only one parietal plate instead of the two you would expect from Homo sapiens
>fewer molars

Peruvian video describing the Paracas culture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM6Y4b2BwIY

Comparison of elongated, cranial deformed and normal skull from the paracas museum (made by a mystery tour guide)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnERUZNqwbc

>Scientific papers are just circlecitating each other about what kind of skull deformation was used or talking about the cranial surgery that was performed in vivo on some of the mummies.

Here's one of the few papers you can find about it:
http://sci-hub.bz/10.1002/ajpa.1330010113

Only genetical "study" that was done on these mummies were publicised (via facebook) by the museum owner, made by an unknown laboratory without any data provided, claiming the presence of mtDNA with unknown origen different from normal Homo spec.

Now, why are there no proper university studies about these mummies? There is plenty of material to study, a lot of tissue to extract DNA.
We have already studies fully sequencing the genome of neanderthals and many other species, building evolutionary trees with DNA analysis is routine work on every university... It's not that expensive any more either.
Why is nobody doing a simple study like this?
Also where are serious anatomical studies performed by an archaeological institute?

Can someone find something that goes deeper?
Is there maybe some non-digitalized literature in Peruvian universities?

To sumarize:
Who and what the fuck were these people?!
Is there a reasonable non tinfoil explanation?

>plz keep memes & ayy lmao to a minimum if possible
thank you
>>
>>1128017
Lost tribes of Israel obviously
>>
>>1128017
>Now, why are there no proper university studies about these mummies?
Because they've become irrevocably tied to the "ancient aliens" conspiracy theorists, and getting involved in researching them is a great way for a young anthropologist to have his career ruined in the eyes of the academic establishment.

It's a bit like how relatively little attention has been paid to studying the historical Aryans or the origin of the races after WWII. Once you get a negative association with a particular subject, academics shy away from it.
>>
>>1128017
>Is there a reasonable non tinfoil explanation?
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cranial_deformation
>>
>>1128049
how does cranial deformation explain higher cranial colume, one parietal plate and missing molars?
>>
File: paracas4.jpg (33 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
paracas4.jpg
33 KB, 403x403
>>1128038
>a great way for a young anthropologist to have his career ruined in the eyes of the academic establishment.

Or a way to gain international attention and recognition for investigating a rich and totally neglected find.
Sure, you have to discuss your study very carefully, but unless your aim is to integrate the mummies into the known human family tree and not speculate about unfounded alien theories, can it really be so bad?
If I'd be an anthropologist, that would be something far more interesting than analysing fossilized shit to infer Neanderthal diet.
>>
>>1128017
Higher brain volume doesn't mean much and is just plasticity at work adjusting to the head shape. The brain is crazy plastic in young years. People can and have removed an entire half of a kids brain without side effects, when done right.
Also more volume means nothing, whales and elephants have more brain volume than humans.
>>
File: paracas2.jpg (50 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
paracas2.jpg
50 KB, 400x300
>>1128087
Yes, the brain is plastic and compensates a lot of physical damage, also growing bones can be reshaped.
However studied cases of cranial deformation by binding do not feature a higher brain volume.

Different brain volume indicates a genetic difference unless it's pathological.

>whales and elephants have more brain volume than humans.
Yeah, that's one of the anatomical differences that indicates them as not being Homo sapiens.
>>
>>1128120
>However studied cases of cranial deformation by binding do not feature a higher brain volume.
You got some sources to back that up that includes the ages of the subjects when they did the cranial deformation?
Cause quick and dirty explanation for the way brain growth works is that it just grows until it hits the skull then starts folding.
>>
File: chapter-5-figure-2.jpg (72 KB, 628x300) Image search: [Google]
chapter-5-figure-2.jpg
72 KB, 628x300
>>1128017
It's literally called head binding and cultures all around the world have practiced it. The most famous are probably the Huns.

>different species of homo
>living in the Americas
>where Sapiens were the only hominids to colonize it barely 20K years ago
>left no genetic trace in Sapiens populations like other human species
>>
>>1128056
Not all humans are genetically identical.

They may be a different species in the past, but they are not anything more than that.

Essentially the neanderthal of the South American continent.
>>
>>1128154
There were no other hominids in the Americas before Sapiens show up. We clearly see human fossils and sites dating back a certain range, and before that nothing. No bones. No tools. No campsites or caves. No genetic lineage left in the native population.
>>
>>1128017
Did you said a different mitochondrial dna?

Because I think you said that.

>>1128087
>>1128049
>>1128038
This is how you keep a cohesive narrative, take note.

Every attempt to change the current timeline of human history will clash with this, people will not accept a different version of human development, cause it undermines the current agenda.

Like the anon mentioned Indo Europeans (early Aryans) are banned from the study fields, under the risk of beign called a revisionist.

They do this because of fear of fueling modern nazism, and that's stupid cause modern nazism fuels itself by making a hundred nazi documentaries a year.

The political situation of south america is complicated and have always been, and first world countries stay as first world countries by feeding a cohesive narrative to their population.

A broken history, lack of cultural pride, and many other problems of south american countries keep them in a position to accept the current politics, otherwise they could just say no and send gringos to fuck themselves.

What happens to this remains is that they're in a dangerous spot for anybody that comes close to a discovery that could change the way modern humans look at themselves, the Boskop man suffers from the same problem.

Do you think that /his/ can have a thread about a super intelligent race of hominids from south africa, without someone screaming WE WUZ KINGZ.

Academic archeology is not better, if you mention this skulls you get a hundred memes about ancient aliens, you attempt to fund your investigations and everybody look at you, like you are expecting them to believe in bigfoot.
>>
>>1128160
>Like the anon mentioned Indo Europeans (early Aryans) are banned from the study fields, under the risk of beign called a revisionist.
Fuck are you talking about, Indo-Europeans are probably the most studied and best understood language/cultural group.
>>
>>1128159
Maybe so.

I wouldn't say it is so unlikely. Hawaii and Micronesia are not far away from Easter Island and South America.
>>
>>1128168
Polynesia in general was populated even later than the Americas. People didn't show up on Hawaii or East Island until the last thousand years or so.
>>
>>1128165
>Indo-Europeans are probably the most studied and best understood language/cultural group.

Are you claiming that they are better studied than greeks or romans?

Or Egyptians, Celts, Normands... fucking anybody?
>>
>>1128181
Greeks, Romans, Celts, and Normans ARE Indo-European you turd sucking mongoloid.

Egyptians are/were not, but we also have large gaps in our knowledge of them and their long history.
>>
File: 1433462121436.jpg (25 KB, 446x478) Image search: [Google]
1433462121436.jpg
25 KB, 446x478
>>1128181
>greek or romans
>not IE
>>
>>1128160
>Like the anon mentioned Indo Europeans (early Aryans) are banned from the study fields, under the risk of beign called a revisionist.

Not this again. WE WUZ ARYANS N SHEIT
>>
>>1128184
The moment you start calling yourself greek or roman you are not an Indo european, you are an Indo european descendant, the same way we call them Indo europeans and not africans.

>>1128159
If they have different mitochondrial DNA they might not be the same lineage of humans and maybe they can't crossbreed with sapiens at all.
>>
>>1128195
>If they have different mitochondrial DNA
Which I have yet to see any actual proofs of. Native Americans have had plenty of genetic studies like other groups, and they're descended from paleo-Siberian peoples.
>>
>>1128195
There's a shitload of research into the ancestral IE and proto-IE. There was just a story published about new finds about migrations into ancient India.

The biggest problem is we have so little to go on with them. No written records. No real surviving oral traditions. But we still know a shitload more about them than ancestral Niger-Congo, or ancestral Semites or so on.
>>
File: selknam2.jpg (115 KB, 501x700) Image search: [Google]
selknam2.jpg
115 KB, 501x700
>>1128209
Depends on who you test, some small groups have polynesian blood, like the nomadic underachiever currently extinct, natives that I descend from.

>>1128218
I get it you have plenty of research on ancient Aryans and nobody bothers you for research them now, but they did for a long while.

Mention this skulls anywhere and tell me that people don't associate them with the ayyy lmaos.

I want a decent genetic study on them, doesn't sound like to much to ask.
>>
>>1128226
>Depends on who you test, some small groups have polynesian blood, like the nomadic underachiever currently extinct, natives that I descend from.
Last I heard Polynesian contact and low level of intermingling is suspected, but far from confirmed yet. Even then, That would have only happened in the last thousand years, only a few centuries before Europeans arrived at the very earliest.
>>
File: paracas5.jpg (68 KB, 667x700) Image search: [Google]
paracas5.jpg
68 KB, 667x700
>>1128160
>different mitochondrial dna?
Yes, so was the claim
However the alleged researcher was an anon, there is not data available and nothing published (except for the Museums owner on the internet)
This is what get's me with this case, It would be one of the easiest studies to collect a bit material, sequence the mtDNA, compare it to a database and have a reliable tool to integrate these mummies in the known hominid family tree.
A bachelor or masters thesis would be enough to cover this.

Fucking academics
>>
>>1128226
>I want a decent genetic study on them, doesn't sound like to much to ask.
There was one just last year you retard

See Haak 2015
>>
Could be a hoax, could be headbinding.

The "researcher" of the skulls is a major shitter, so it's definitely not actually a different species.

https://politicoid.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/the-paracas-skulls-an-object-lesson-in-critical-thinking/
>>
File: changos6.jpg (253 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
changos6.jpg
253 KB, 1024x768
>>1128231
Changos, was a small nomadic group from the north of Chile, physiology, technology, and overall laziness matches with polynesians, I descend from them but I can't account for what my slutty grandma did so testing my blood will prove nothing.

>>1128241
I was talking about the Paracas, you... nevermind

>>1128238
>>1128247
As long as we don't have a serious test we can't assure anything, they could be aliens, as far as we know.

All this could be solved by a simple study, the big question is why has nobody done it yet.
>>
>>1128266
I personally believe there absolutely was contact and intermarriage between the Polynesians and Americans, there's just not concrete solid proof of it yet.

Still doesn't change the fact all these skulls are Sapiens, of course.
>>
File: Egyptian bound skulls.jpg (42 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
Egyptian bound skulls.jpg
42 KB, 375x500
>>1128150
Bingo
>>
>>1128268
You don't know if the skulls are sapiens, the head binding explanation makes sense to you, cause the africans did it and you correlate natives doing native things, but if you study peruvian cultures for a while you'll notice that the Paracas are extremely unusual, and the shape of the skulls the missing molars and the parietal plate, are all to strange to be simple coincidences or ritual mambo jambo.
>>
File: yakub.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
yakub.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
>>1128017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUEN1ZuDSMg
>>
>>1128283
>You don't know if the skulls are sapiens
Nor do you know they're not, but every piece of evidence points to them being Sapiens since there were no other human species even remotely close to the region before or during the time Sapiens came around. The most logical answer is that they're just head-bindings, just like countless other cultures that did the exact same thing.

Go ahead and test the DNA of the skulls. I don't know if it's actually been done yet or not. But there honestly is no chance of it not being Sapiens.
>>
File: peru.jpg (61 KB, 611x458) Image search: [Google]
peru.jpg
61 KB, 611x458
>>1128288
If they don't have the same mitochondrial dna, then what?

The Paracas are associated with the Nazca culture and the development of the edible potato, wich are two very strange cultural developments.

And that not mixing Puma punku and the other ruins on the Andes.

Under studied culture is an understament.
>>
>>1128301
>If they don't have the same mitochondrial dna, then what?
Then every archaeologist starts swarming to Peru and entire new theories on human evolution start to be formed, and try to rectify the new find contradicting every other piece of genetic and archaeological evidence.

I don't actually see any reason to think it's the case until something like that happens, though. So far the only source claiming it's so is about as reliable as a greentext on /b/.

>Nazca culture and the development of the edible potato, wich are two very strange cultural developments.
What? I'll give you that what the Nazca did were unique and out of the ordinary, but plants were domesticated fucking everywhere, from Mississippi to Mesopotamia to New Guinea. It's standard for civilizations to domesticate and farm plants... hell it's part of the definition for a civilization.
>>
>>1128195
If they have different mitochondrial dna they could be fucking plants. Learn what mdna is fuck.
>>
>>1128309
Well technically most plants don't have mitochondria but differences like that are the scale we are looking at.
>>
File: img276.jpg (2 MB, 1901x1267) Image search: [Google]
img276.jpg
2 MB, 1901x1267
>>1128308
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puquios

There was over 2000 species of potatos in the region, a plant that was originally poisonous, they did some extensive selective breeding.

And then they dissapeared.

Did everything right and then stoped.

That's weird.
>>
>>1128328
>they did some extensive selective breeding.
Same with nearly every other domesticated plant or species. Hell we're not even sure which species we got maize from, because it's so drastically different from its wild relatives.

>Did everything right and then stoped.
Like every other ancient civilization that collapsed and fell apart.
>>
File: Scripture.jpg (297 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Scripture.jpg
297 KB, 800x600
There some giant deformed skulls found that are impossible to be made with "headbanding".

The skull cracks/lines are also different.
These things are not human.

Bible: 1
atheists: 0
>>
>>1128336
proof? otherwise feed yourself to the leviathan pleb
>>
>>1128334
>we're not even sure which species we got maize from

Exactly, did we just forgot that we developed Mendelian genetics 5000 years ago?

Nobody wrote this shit down so the knowledge, just puff into the thin air?

Most civilizations that collapsed left a lot of texts and rituals to be found.

By the time the spaniards came there should be at least one tribe that still did the head binding, like there was in africa.

But there was none, they are no modern examples of head binding in south america.

Why they don't have written lenguague?

Everybody else did, is to be expected given the development they reached.
>>
File: 1452454421432.jpg (10 KB, 151x202) Image search: [Google]
1452454421432.jpg
10 KB, 151x202
>>1128334
>we're not even sure which species we got maize from

Teosinte..
>>
>>1128356
look at all the nephilim skulls you idiot

then read the book of enoch, and genesis
>>
>>1128362
There's still debate around the exact species

>>1128357
>Exactly, did we just forgot that we developed Mendelian genetics 5000 years ago?
My point is that nothing you posted about them disappearing or domesticating a plant makes them in any way unique. Civilizations literally all around the planet would fit the same bill.

>Most civilizations that collapsed left a lot of texts and rituals to be found.
Only if they had any written language, which the Andes didn't have (at least not at that point in time if you want to argue quipu)

>By the time the spaniards came there should be at least one tribe that still did the head binding, like there was in africa.
Cultures change and practices are abandoned or adopted all the time. That's like expecting modern day Eastern Europeans or Egyptians to bind their skulls just because their ancestors did.

>Why they don't have written lenguague?
sub-Saharan cultures built civilizations and domesticated plants, for the most part no written language.

Mississippians, Papuans who domesticated bananas, Oasisamerica, early Germanic confederations. No written language.
>>
>>1128357
>Why they don't have written lenguague?
>Everybody else did
Like only four civilizations known independently made a written language.
>>
>>1128160

You just responded to the deformation claims with 50 sentences and didn't address the claim itself a single time. In every measure, you are the one taking great care to spin a narrative instead of taking even a fucking second to discuss what we do have to go on.
>>
File: fuente-magna-detalle-interior.jpg (40 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
fuente-magna-detalle-interior.jpg
40 KB, 500x345
>>1128377
There's legends about a written lenguague, that was described by Fernando de Montesinos, and couple of strange carvings found in the lake Titicaca.

>>1128401
The head binding left the skulls looking like a cone like this>>1128150 not making the skulls more round and bigger.

>>1128282
This second skull is just weird, how do you make this?

To be honest is easy to just say that they're deformed skulls made by aplying pressure, but the lack of a genetic study in one of the most advanced cultures of their time, is mind boggling, and more interesting to discuss, but if you don't agree just don't reply to me, no biggie, my feelings would not be hurt.
>>
>>1128429
So wait did they have no written language and are remarkable for it, or did they actually have a written language we don't know about? Make up your mind.
>>
>>1128437
What's more this lack of written language is clearly a proof of them being an other species :^)
>>
>>1128437
The legend itself is weird.

The Incas said that there was written texts and they all got destroyed, at least 500 years before the arrival of the spaniards, the reason for this was that the emperor ordered to do it.

Just like the chinese stablished an unique alphabet, the incas keep the written lenguague for the use of the bureocracy only.

>>1128452
Of course. (idiots)
>>
>>1128456
>The Incas said that there was written texts and they all got destroyed, at least 500 years before the arrival of the spaniard
There were no Inca 500 years before the arrival of the Spanish
>>
>>1128460
But there was an emperor, he even knew his name, I can't find that damn book now, but is on the chronicles of Fernando de Montesinos.
>>
>>1128466
I honestly can't comment on it without having read it or read about it, but remember to keep colonial accounts about native Americans with a grain of salt. Europeans loved to make shit up about the natives and their history, that's how we got the Book of Mormon and dozens of other hoaxes.

Course it's also possible this record is referring to some pre-Incan emperor, but none of them would have been as large or powerful as the Inca.
>>
>>1128472
At the time Montesinos work was considered pure fiction, but with time more and more of his claims have been proved true, also he repeated the work of people like Blas Valera that wrote a history of the Incas that got lost.

They listed 93 Pre incan kings.

Th matter is confusing to say the least the inquisition devastated the attempts to make some coherent Pre Incan story, Blas Valera claimed that Atahualpa was a Christian saint in heaven and many more BS, this period is full of this strange claims that are really hard to debunk or confirm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blas_Valera
>>
File: 1426786685417.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1426786685417.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>>1128184
>being this fucking dense and full of crap

We speaking about the original indo-europeans, the first one and only peoples of this continent, not the hundreds of specific civilisations that came out of it centuries and centuries later you degenerate mongoloid

Holy hell you're so stupid it's painfull
>>
>>1128534
>the first one and only peoples of this continent,

>IE
>first on the continent

You want to talk about being fuckin dense?
>>
>>1128534
>the original indo-europeans, the first one and only peoples of this continent
So the guys that invented Basque came to Europe when? and especially, where from?
>>
>>1128282
>that second skull
yakub?
>>
File: bartolome.png (1 MB, 855x687) Image search: [Google]
bartolome.png
1 MB, 855x687
Ok I found the damn story.

Montesinos claimed that during the reign of Toca Corca Apo Capac, there was a university in Cuzco where they teached how to write, the written lenguague was called kellka, or quilca.

After that under the reign of Titu Yupanqui Pachacuti they were invaded by a warrior culture from Brazil.

Cuzco was abandoned and the texts were saved by the Amautas.

Later Tupac Cauri Pachacuti consulted with the oracle of the God Illatici Huira Cocha (that's a long name for a God), he wanted to restore the writing lenguague, but he advosed against cause some bad things would happen if he did, so anyone who used the kellka or paper was killed.

Some texts remained and were preserved by Garcilaso de la Vega.

But here comes the spanish inquisition ( bet you didn't expected it) and burned the books.

The Quipus were an after tought to solve problems with Llama owning.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.