[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meaning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: edgy.png (49 KB, 694x613) Image search: [Google]
edgy.png
49 KB, 694x613
It seems to me that everything we do, feel and say is of a rather superficial nature. I'd be interested in reading philosophical approaches on how to deal with the apparent lack of meaning in everything.

So, any good recommendations?
>>
>>1125627
>It seems to me that everything we do, feel and say is of a rather superficial nature.
Put some more effort in it.
>>
Foucault, Derrida, and Althusser went into how ideology is created and sustained, so that might be what you're after
>>
>>1125638
Fair enough. It seems to me that we only harbour and express our feelings in an attempt to create a narrative of some sort in our lives. It seems to me that all of it is just so we have something to occupy ourselves with, because otherwise life would be too plain. It may also serve to justify the actions dictated by some of our most basic instincts such as self-preservation and reproduction. So, despite all of our grand and noble concepts such as love, justice, etc., I only see a mechanical behaviour fighting desperately to stay alive.
>>
>>1125627
>>1125638
This. The world is what you put into it. Quit expecting anything to be meaningful in itself, that is, without effort on your part.
>>
>>1125686
Thanks! Any book in particular from one of them as an introduction for a layman such as myself?
>>
Life only has a meaning, when one is projected unto it. Unless you construct a meaning to it, it's meaningless, but by not doing so you are still making a choice, and making it meaningless yourself.
>>
>>1125789
>>1125638
Well, it seems that I misinterpreted that post.

I've already heard the idea that the lack of meaning in life allowed us to give it our own meaning, but I struggle to see on what such criteria I should do this. If we start off with the idea that nothing has any value of its own, then no criteria for giving value to something has a value of its own. So, it is impossible to meaningfully choose any meaning. It all gets circular and I don't see how to get past that.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.