[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gnosticism thread? Gnosticism is a fascinating religion that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7
File: theosophy.png (26 KB, 200x226) Image search: [Google]
theosophy.png
26 KB, 200x226
Gnosticism thread?

Gnosticism is a fascinating religion that has influenced culture and art in the West in many ways for hundreds of years. I should like to learn more about it, but I don't really know much - just that the physical world is an evil lie brought about by the Demiurge whose 7 Archons are his lieutenants on the material plane and want us to stay away from divine knowledge of the universe.

Will also be dumping Supremacist and otherwise abstract art, as it is some of the most famous Gnostically inspired art.
>>
File: malevich-1.jpg (256 KB, 620x748) Image search: [Google]
malevich-1.jpg
256 KB, 620x748
>>1121243
>>
File: malevich-2.jpg (70 KB, 770x877) Image search: [Google]
malevich-2.jpg
70 KB, 770x877
>>1121261
>>
File: malevich-3.jpg (24 KB, 338x400) Image search: [Google]
malevich-3.jpg
24 KB, 338x400
>>1121262
>>
>>1121270
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 300x407) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 300x407
I went to a bookstore looking for the corpus hermeticum. they didnt have it but they did have a book on gnosticism which was the next best thing. i guess theyre both esoteric, right? anyway gnostics had a pretty cool interpretation of the bible
>>
The book of Judas and the Apocalypse of Peter are pretty good.

Anything in the Nag Hammadi library is really interesting if Gnosticism is your thing
>working on current graduate studies in Gnostic Christianity
>>
File: malevich-4.jpg (20 KB, 550x543) Image search: [Google]
malevich-4.jpg
20 KB, 550x543
>>1121289
What do you mean? What was their interpretation?
>>
>>1121299
You are a useless parasite on the human race.
>>
>>1121326
what have you done thats so awesome? is that you faraday? is that you aristotle?
>>
>>1121289
gnostics regarded everything material as evil while hermetics did not
>>
>>1121541

This is very over-simplified. It would be more accurate to say the Greek-based gnostics generally reject the physical in favor of the metaphysical, but that's also true of Greek-based non-gnostic religions, such as Orphism or Christianity. There are gnostics who don't reject the material outright, such as the Mandeans who were influenced by Zoroastrianism.
>>
>>1121414
I've learned English grammar, for one.
>>
>>1121302

They have several gospels that were not included in the Christian canon, such as the gospels of Mary and of Thomas, that claim to preserve the hidden message Jesus brought that was misunderstood by the simple people who took him literally.
>>1121289

The Hermetics weren't really gnostic, they were more like a mystery cult.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.