[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about the 2nd Mexican Empire.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Maximilian of Mexico.jpg (45 KB, 417x606) Image search: [Google]
Maximilian of Mexico.jpg
45 KB, 417x606
Tell me about the 2nd Mexican Empire.
>>
File: le_witty_frog.png (126 KB, 261x270) Image search: [Google]
le_witty_frog.png
126 KB, 261x270
>>1117745

>Second
>Mexican
>Empire
>>
>>1118134
lmao I swear I didn't have to open up the thread to know what the first reply was going to be
>>
>>1117745
Benito Juarez was an asshole! A native mexican full of hatred and resentment towards white people.

Nowadays everyone gives him hero status but he was just a very angry little man.
>>
>>1117745
Maximilian was a good man, he actually loved Mexico and its people. He even adopted a native mexican child. He was betrayed and used by many political figures as a scapegoat.
>>
>>1118355
Pretty much. Maximilian was stuck in a shit situation. Obviously the Mexican republicans were never going to like him based on his instillation overthrowing the republic and him being a foreign puppet. The conservative elites came to hate him quickly too because he was actually interested in improving the lot of the average Mexican and not protecting the interests of the elites. Once the US cleared up the civil war there was no way for France to easily back up him either, so he became rather isolated.
>>
>>1118378
There is this funny story about Charlotte she obviously had mental issues. After Maximilian was fusilated and she escaped Mexico she was suffering from severe paranoia thinking they were out to kill her which may not have been far from reality but she took it to an extreme.

She travelled Europe to find refuge and couldn't find it with her friendships because of her mental condition.

She went to Rome and she was starving, so she showed up in the vatican and asked for an audience with the Pope. He received her out of courtesy while having breakfast.

As soon as she came into the dining room and saw the hot chocolate the pope was drinking, she dipped her fingers into the Pope's chocolate cup, after licking her fingers clean she was asked to leave and she lost it! She cried, she threw herself to the floor and started making a scene.

The Pope feeling sorry for her let her stay in his bedroom until her family was contacted and took her to Miramar.
>>
>>1117745
Maximilian's empire could've been good if that stupid shitskinned indio Benito Juarez was killed the moment the emperor arrived at Veracruz

Maximilian had awesome and pretty revolutionary ideas for Mexico, he truly wanted the best for his new empire, same with Charlotte his wife, all the reforms he made Juarez did away with and made the country a shittier place
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.