[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Were there any major battles in WW2 in Europe where American
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1437420365056.gif (48 KB, 336x382) Image search: [Google]
1437420365056.gif
48 KB, 336x382
>Were there any major battles in WW2 in Europe where American troops were outnumbered the entirety of the battle?

I know they were in the early stages of the Bulge however rather quickly they gained a numerical advantage.

>Pic is German Soldier with an american Weapon (M1 carbine)
>>
>>1116696
A lot of naval battles.
>>
>>1116713
>europe
>naval battles

wat
>>
Not really. When you attack, you attack with a superior force. With the exceptions of the initial counterattacks at the D-Day beachead and the Battle of the Bulge the US was always on the offensive.
>>
>>1116725
Pretty sure the us still had the numerical advantage right after D-day
>>
>>1116733
Initially yes, but the local German counterattacks had local numerical superiority. Especially around Caen. As more men came ashore the Germans quickly lost local superiority and France became a total route for them within a month.
>>
>>1116718
I didn't see the Europe part nvm.
>>
search for Hürtgenwald / Hurtgen Forest
... east of the Belgian-German border where one of the biggest battles ever of US-Army took place
>>
File: Pistol.jpg (153 KB, 1100x825) Image search: [Google]
Pistol.jpg
153 KB, 1100x825
>>1116741
>within a month

more like a little under two months
>>
>>1120780
I meant within a month of the Allies gaining local superiority. Took them a bit to do that, but after Caen was broken through the German lines quickly collapsed into the Falaise Pocket. And after that 50% of the German West Army was killed, wounded, or captured with 94% of all armored assets irrevocably lost as well.
>>
>>1119091
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_H%C3%BCrtgen_Forest
Looks like the Americans had a significant numerical advantage there and still lost.
>>
In late March 1945 US-Army Capt. Baum was given the order of penetrating 50 miles behind the German lines and liberating POWs in a camp there (also to liberate Patton's son-in-law there).

All of the 57 tanks, jeeps, and other vehicles were lost and of the roughly 300 men of the task force only 35 made it back.

There´s a memorial page of what has happened in 1945:

http://www.taskforcebaum.de/index1.html
>>
File: hab1.jpg (6 KB, 265x198) Image search: [Google]
hab1.jpg
6 KB, 265x198
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.