[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the germans just razed Stalingrad to the ground
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: stalingrad90[1].jpg (89 KB, 610x421) Image search: [Google]
stalingrad90[1].jpg
89 KB, 610x421
Why didn't the germans just razed Stalingrad to the ground with artillery and moved on to the oil fields instead of having a new Verdun in the east for a city with no strategical value?
>>
Because Hitler said so.
>>
Because they didn't know it would turn into a new Verdun obviously.
>>
>>1114740
First post best post
>>
>>1114735
They couldn't even raze a single building in months of trying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlov%27s_House
>>
>>1114735
>Why didn't the germans just razed Stalingrad to the ground with artillery
because that isn't how artillery works
it turns the place to shit but that just leaves a lot of easily-defensible rubble, and that rubble contains a lot of the stuff you'd need to keep pushing (e.g. railheads)
>>
>>1114735
I dont get why falling back/not advancing on Moscow was fine but heaven forbid you do the same on Stalingrad.
>>
>>1116783
You really don't understand the difference? The army was already committed at Stalingrad. Falling back would've meant they were risking being routed.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.