[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I know I'm supposed to start with the Greeks, but who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
So I know I'm supposed to start with the Greeks, but who exactly do I start with?
>>
Start with the story of Cronus eating his babies
>>
In strictly History? Iliad, find a companion piece of fragmented stories of the Trojan War, then read Herodotus. If you're talking philosophy in general, ask /lit/, they have info graphics for that kind of thing.
>>
What's your goal/interest? Why are you supposed to start with the Greeks? Your goals will influence where you want to start.

There was an image with a flow chart of Greek literature, though. Someone might post it.
>>
>>1113983
I want to start with the very beginnings of philosophy and reach the present age in the next 2-3 years
>>
File: 1462517010648.png (451 KB, 429x600) Image search: [Google]
1462517010648.png
451 KB, 429x600
>>1113978
>Divegrass memes

Sack Napoleon, replace with Fourth Crusade.

I don't care that he is a medal.
>>
File: 1453071496551.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
1453071496551.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
I'm not sure whether this is one of the meme versions.
>>
>>1113990
Just read Aristotle and Plato, and maybe the Atomists like Epicurus and Democritus.

Then move on to Anselm and Thomas Aquinas, then to Rene Descartes, Spinoza, Hume, Kant, Nietzsche etc.
>>
>>1113993
I would suggest you had an anthology of Greek poems to this.

Sometimes you will have no idea what they point they're trying to reach is, but once you get Homer & Hesoid down pat you will probably be able to dissect most themes of the 7th/6th/5th centuries.
>>
>>1113978
You start with a general history book, then a social history book. Now you have your basics. No good reading something written at the time first it will only give you the tiniest slice of knowledge, literally so small its not worth having. Then decide on your area of interest, read another bigger/more complex general history and the first book of your choice towards your interest. From here on keep going back to general and social histories as well as biographies between reading writing from the period to keep your mind in tune with what is happening around the writers when they write. Without a tutor, just reading historical books without understanding the context is pointless unless you just want to show off to people that you have read X book and pretend to be patrician. Quality is a habit not an act, practice.
>>
>>1113993
>no prometheus bound

It's like you don't even want to understand athenian political motivation and psychology
>>
>>1113978
Start with the Pre-Socratics, and end with them.
Socrates a shit.
>>
Start with cave paintings.
>>
>>1113978

Don't start with the Greeks. Start with something that actually interests you.
>>
Only philistines don't start with Greek theatre
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.