[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, so I was learning about my country (colombia) military strength
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: photo.jpg (93 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
93 KB, 900x900
Ok, so I was learning about my country (colombia) military strength and came across a youtube video explaining how colombia's military has no possible defence againts a conventional invassion.
Of course colombia's army is among the best but only in counter guerrilla and counter terrorism and counter drug dealers.
My country has 50 years of combat experience againts guerrillas.

So, I want to ask the /his/torians here.

It's there any example of a war between a similar army to colombia, mostly experienced in guerrilla conflict versus a more traditional army, with good military gear of their time?
>>
>>1093904
Yeah, see second gulf war
>>
Columbia's military is small, that's the main reason it would git fuckd.
It's more of an elite police force than an actual military.
Makes sense given it's size and positioning of course. Paraguay tried to have a traditional military and 2/3rds of it's population died.
>>
>>1094164
was sadam army trained in counter guerrilla?

wasn't sadam defeated in a couple of weeks?
>>
>>1094177
would colombia army have a chance if using their guerrilla experience in having an asymetrical war?
>>
>>1094186
No
>>
>>1094195
take into account I don't mean USA or france type of enemy, but more a regional one, like brazil or mexico.
>>
>>1094201
Guerilla warfare works against guerrillas.
>>
>>1094228
yeah, but what if the enemy is brazil?
>>
>>1094201
Columbia would cause enough damage to an attacker to make it not worth the effort. Also the global backlash to the aggressor state would be significant. It would be quite likely for the US to intervene.
Mexico could stomp Columbia with relative ease, the insurgency would be more of a hassle to deal with, and likely quite messy as well.

Columbia's military is just large enough to be a barbed thorn in the side of anyone who tried to invade and occupy the place. Nobody likes thorns, especially since these thorns don't even protect any fruit.
>>
>>1094241
yeah, but isn't colombian army extremelly well organized and it's soldiers are among the best trained, so even other nations come to train here?
>>
>>1094252
>>1094252
I mean, soldiers train everywhere. The US does training missions with pretty much everybody but Russua, China, India and Africa.
I do believe the US and many other nations do training in South Anerica to help refine counter insurgency techniques but many nations also go to train in Israel for that, and by this point the US also has it's own well refined counter insurgency training and techniques.

Columbia has a nice little army. But emphasis on the little part. A large nation could simply overwhelm it, of course they won't for the same reason nobody's invaded Switzerland in over 100 years.
>>
>>1094290
what would be the best course of action in terms of defence for a conventional war.

currently our biggest real threat is venezuela.
>>
>>1094296
Venezuela's army isn't that large and they'd have little to gain by actually attacking. I mean the best course would be appealing to a big dick nation like Brasil or the USA for help but in some 1v1 scenario defiant ambushes and confusing highly mobile infantry tactics ala Finland during the Winter War followed by rifle behind every blade of grass insurgency would probably be fairly effective.
>>
>>1094306
feels good in some way our biggest threat is basically the FARC and the ELN who only can make ambushes and Venezuela who is a failed state.

It's funny that in some way my country has less threats than european nations with better armies.
>>
A more realistic casus belli could be a war against Nicaragua over maritime territories
>>
>>1093904
>It's there any example of a war between a similar army to colombia, mostly experienced in guerrilla conflict versus a more traditional army, with good military gear of their time?
Zimbabwe.

Didn't go well for them.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.