[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm pretty good at history, especially military history,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 250x548) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 250x548
I'm pretty good at history, especially military history, history is my favourite, so I'm putting most of my educational effort on history.
How hard is it to become an historian? Or any job that has to do with history?
>>
>military history is my favorite
Why the fuck do you think you should teach people?
>>
>>1065824
My professor says it depends on how you want to teach, but either way you'll have to be prepared to move.

Specialize in a specific area of history, find the teaching authority in that area, study/make friends with him, produce some original research that taps an area of modern interest to the world/scholarship/public in pursuit of your PhD, get hired by a college who wants to snatch up a hot commodity
>>
>>1065857
Oh I don't want to teach.
>>
>>1066003
You're kinda fucked then.
If you have friends in high places in the entertainment industry, you can try to become a historical "consultant". The pay is shit and no one will actually listen to you, but the work is piss easy.
>>
>>1065857
>>1066016
So you have to be Jewish to study history?
>>
>>1066064
No you have to be able to write and teach.

And be willing to put up with being an adjunct professor or equivalent for something like a decade on average for a shot at tenure.
>>
A history education is mostly good for the transferable skills, from a purely cynical "what job can it get me?" perspective.

For actual history related jobs:
Teaching (secondary level) is a common endpoint for history graduates, as are obvious choices like museums, galleries etc. Although pickings are very slim in those areas simply due to the size of the industries, so teaching is the most viable if that sounds appealing.
>>
>>1065824
You spend 10 years working a PhD then have to suck ALL the cocks at the AHA to get a no job security job teaching at a community college.
>>
>>1067019
>You spend 10 years working a PhD then have to suck ALL the cocks at the AHA to get a no job security job teaching at a community college.
p-professor zajowski? sausville?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.