[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is suicide a moral problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: is_150811_suicide_800x600.jpg (526 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
is_150811_suicide_800x600.jpg
526 KB, 800x600
Is suicide a moral problem?
>>
Suppose that your morality encompasses not only your actions but the immediate effects that your actions would have on others.
So in the case of suicide, killing yourself might cause some anguish to other people as a direct result. So in that case it would be considered a moral problem.
>>
>>1063836
What if it would bring joy to others?
Also how you evaluate the joy-misery it would entail?
Hedonistic calculus has some serious issues as a moral doctrine.
>>
>>1063836
Everything everyone does is selfish anyway. Preventing someone from killing themself because it would hurt you is more selfish than the other way around.
>>
>>1063841
Well in many cultures ritual suicide would be considered praiseworthy.
So it's true that there is some benefits to be weighed.
>>
>>1063843
I suppose if someone wanted to kill themselves to be free of intense harm, but were prevented for some marginal benefit of someone else, it would be unfair and seen as cruel.

In another case, can you think of a situation where suicide could be a utterly neutral moral act?
Perhaps some lone wanderer with no companions is doomed by sickness or injury, and no way that his prolonged life could assist anyone, and he decides to kill himself with no one around to notice or care. I guess this might not be a moral problem, since it's his life to decide how to end it.
>>
Suicide is the logical extreme of morality.
>>
>>1063854
You're assuming morality is relational, and doesn't apply to stand-alone acts.
>>
>>1063903
That's true, I am assuming that.
>>
File: 1459630670693.jpg (191 KB, 900x652) Image search: [Google]
1459630670693.jpg
191 KB, 900x652
>>1063836
Supposing that you are in a vacuum knowing only that you exist but not knowing what has granted you existence or whether your existence was even a thing to be granted. Is suicide a moral problem in this case? What determines whether existence or non-existence is good or bad?
>>
>>1063913
Well if you genuinely don't know how or why you exist, then suicide is your prerogative based essentially on your risk-aversion and whims.
>>
>>1063931
Then I suppose all suicide is based on those whims, and the act can neither be an intrinsic good or bad. The factors which make it inherently good or bad arise only when you exist in relation to others.
>>
>>1063953
Maybe that's why the fact that we instinctively feel that suicide is "bad" is because we live almost our entire lives as deeply social animals where we do have a great effect on everyone around us.

So only in these hypothetical examples where there are no others, does suicide lose it's sting.
>>
I like what Schoppy is saying, about how suicide, rather than being an abdication of the will, is actually its vindication. It's not a moral problem in the sense of moral sanction but it does question its ethical nature.
>>
>>1063823
question is too spooky
>>
>>1063913
BECAUSE LIFE IS MEANT TO BE LIIIIIIIVED
>>
>>1063972
>So only in these hypothetical examples where there are no others, does suicide lose it's sting.

Metaphysically speaking?
Because I think even in these situations suicide wouldn't be what one believes to be the next rational step.
I mean, it's about taking yourself the possibilty to do any further steps.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.