[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
What went wrong?
>>
1 A retarded parliament system where one single noble man could veto the whole thing.
2 Sweden
>>
>>1057199
It involved Poles.
>>
>>1057199
Prussia
>>
>>1057357
1. is enough, other things were just consequences of Poland being not capable of governing itself at all.
>>
>>1057199
Neither Polish, nor Lithuanian, nor a commonwealth
>>
>>1057199
L I B E R U M V E T O
I
B
E
R
U
M

V
E
T
O
>>
File: 7357148.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
7357148.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
>>1058060
Goddamn it if i could go back in time and somehow obliterate this fuckery with the might of thousand suns i would to this in a blink of my fuckin eye
>>
It was boxed in by three rising powers. The PLC wasn't really a power in its own right so much as it was just there, in pretty much the most remote part of Europe. Russia naturally exerts influence in the south, but there was a Mongol problem for a while. Brandenburg/Pomerania/Prussia were sparsely populated frontier lands at first, but steadily grew in population and power. Austria was kind of in the same boat as Brandenburg but less severely, but they were primarily engaged with Ottoman expansion, and didn't really want to carve out more of the North European Plain than they could chew. Nevertheless, they benefited from a partitioned Poland.
>>
>>1057357
>1 A retarded parliament system where one single noble man could veto the whole thing.
Bullshit, it was symptom of being weakened and it came a lot later.

>>1057199
Sigmund Vasa was the worst possible king PLC could get.
Strengthened the power and privileges magnates and destroyed balance among nobility (previous kings would ally themselves with middle class and gain their support, but why would rich noble want more influential monarch?)
He screwed up every opportunity we had which is ironic considering how great generals and war achievements PLC had at the time (enslaved brother of Kaiser after won battle, won a lot of wars against Russia/Ottomans/Sweden)
Sigmund screwed every opportunity he had, he should have kept hre destabilized and shattered as it always was but instead he allied Austria because he hoped they would help him become king of Sweden, he should have kept Russia destabilized in time of troubles instead of invading them and giving them common goal and easy way to organize people by blaming poles for every famine, civil war etc
He also alienated ukraine because he was disgusted by tolerance of religions which unified its people and nobles, this actually was beginning of cossacks trying to ally themselves with Moscow or Prussia trying to ally themselves with Sweden etc. All these shitty mistakes were like minefield that would explode 50 yeas later in something known as Deluge which was eventually victory but as pyrrhic as it possibly gets.
Also a little trivia: his ex wife in order to humiliate him accused him of being father of her child... Gustav Vasa which would be later known as lion of north, imagine if he didn't divorce her eh.
TLDR - Shitty rulers but great generals and war achievements prolonged its life.
>>
>>1058052
Holy roman...
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.