[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>William Adams (24 September 1564 – 16 May 1620), known
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: Anjin_Miura_(NASSR).jpg (36 KB, 400x566) Image search: [Google]
Anjin_Miura_(NASSR).jpg
36 KB, 400x566
>William Adams (24 September 1564 – 16 May 1620), known in Japanese as Miura Anjin (三浦按針: "the pilot of Miura"), was an English navigator who in 1600 was the first of his nation to reach Japan. One of a few survivors of the only Dutch East India Company ship to reach Japan from a five-ship expedition of 1598, Adams settled there and became the first ever (and one of the very few) Western Samurai.

Was he the original weeaboo /his/?
>>
Obviously
>>
quite so
>>
>>1052447
Edgelord too, check out that fedora, trench coat, and neck beard. I bet he has an unsheathed katana in his other hand as well.
>>
>>1052447
No, he's just an adventurer who made the most of his good/bad luck. There were Dutch visitors Japan and French witnesses to Japanese embassies around this same time period who thought very highly of Japan that you might consider weeaboo today (including fascination over superior nihon steel and so on).
>>
>>1053318
>nihon steel
>superior
>>
>>1052447
He wasnt made a samurai rather he was given many of the rights that came with samurai status, such as a surname and the right to wear two swords.

He was also given an estate by the Tokugawa for his services, and Ive read that locals still leave offerings at his grave.

Finally Ive read that he received instruction in the shinkage ryu from the Shoguns own instructor, at that schools height. At the time it was the most famous sword style in Japan, and Ieyasu himself attributed his success to the shinkage ryu's strategies
>>
File: 1432834294327342890.jpg (157 KB, 900x783) Image search: [Google]
1432834294327342890.jpg
157 KB, 900x783
>>1052447
>weaboos then
>weaboos now
what the fuck happened?
>>
>>1052447
My parents used to watch Shogun and that's the guy they based the show off of.
>>
>>1053697
Japan changed.
The world changed.
>>
File: ken-sama.jpg (228 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
ken-sama.jpg
228 KB, 1600x1600
>>1052447
>Was he the original weeaboo /his/?

No, this guy was
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.