[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there such a thing as a just war
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 700x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 700x445
Is there such a thing as a just war
>>
Wars of defense.
>>
wars of intervention
>>
>>1047230

This.

>>1047232

Debatable.
>>
File: IMG__201604118__125754.jpg (182 KB, 843x364) Image search: [Google]
IMG__201604118__125754.jpg
182 KB, 843x364
>>
>>1047226
All war is just. Relativist faggots should hang themselves
>>
War on islam.
>>
>>1047240
>>1047238
Well said. I'll add that the justness of a war is irrelevant, the attitude of the warriors that enter it is all that matters.

t. evolafag
>>
>>1047236
>Debatable
why
>>
>>1047226
Define just.

Justifiable? Sure.

Confirming to some arbitrary set of morality where the lives of the outgroup has the same value as the ingroup? Well I don't know.
>>
>>1047746
Because intervening in other countries wars leads to messes like the current one in the middle east
>>
File: Just_War.png (243 KB, 761x782) Image search: [Google]
Just_War.png
243 KB, 761x782
>>
>>1048088
and that has nothing to do with how "just" a war is.
>>
All war is just, and I'll go further by saying that all war is good, as far as the term can be defined by human standards.
>>
File: vitoria.jpg (21 KB, 340x317) Image search: [Google]
vitoria.jpg
21 KB, 340x317
>>1047226
You can read about Francisco de Vitoria, a spanish philosopher of the XVI century who had a humanist view regarding colonization and wrote extensive books on the actual righteousness of it. He argued that the natives being Aristotle's natural slaves was a shitty justification. With this in mind he wrote the Just Titles, aka Just reasons for going to war and taking their land. I'll paste some in this thread, I hope you understand spanish.

-Los hombres no nacen esclavos sino libres.
-Por derecho natural nadie es superior a los otros.
-El niño no existe por razón de otros, sino por razón de sí mismo.
-Es mejor renunciar al propio derecho que violentar el ajeno.
-Los dementes perpetuos, que ni tienen, ni hay esperanza de que tengan uso de razón, pueden ser dueños... tienen derechos.
-Al condenado a muerte le es lícito huir, porque la libertad se equipara a la vida.
-Si el juez, no guardando el orden del derecho, obtuviese a fuerza de tormentos la confesión del reo, no podría condenarlo, porque obrando así no es juez.
-No se puede dar muerte a una persona que no ha sido juzgada y condenada,
-Toda nación tiene derecho a gobernarse a sí misma y puede aceptar el régimen político que quiera, aún cuando no sea el mejor.
-Todo el poder del rey viene de la nación, porque ésta es libre desde el principio.
-El orbe entero, que en cierta manera constituye una república, tiene poder de dar leyes justas y convenientes a toda la humanidad.
-Ninguna guerra es justa, si consta que se sostiene con mayor mal que bien y utilidad de la nación, por más títulos y razones que haya para una guerra justa.
-Si al súbdito le consta la injusticia de la guerra, no puede ir a ella, ni aún por mandato del príncipe.

You can also read about the 'Junta de Burgos' and the 'Junta de Valladolid' if you want to read about debates between spanish thinkers of the righteousness of what the Crown was doing in the Americas.
>>
>>1048097
I think that those concepts only apply when you are writing about the war after winning said war
>>
>>1047226

war is natural
>>
File: 61mQyZepqJL.jpg (98 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
61mQyZepqJL.jpg
98 KB, 1000x1500
>>1048215
>A noted scholar, he was publicly consulted by Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain. He worked to limit the type of power the Spanish empire imposed on the Native Peoples. He said, "The upshot of all the preceding is this, then, that the aborigines undoubtedly had true dominion in both public and private matters, just like Christians, and that neither their princes nor private persons could be despoiled of their property on the ground of their not being true owners." Vitoria denied that the native peoples could be understood as slaves by nature in Aristotelian terms. He adopted from Aquinas the Roman law concept of ius gentium ("the law of nations"). His defense of American Indians was based on a Scholastic understanding of the intrinsic dignity of man, a dignity he found being violated by Spain's policies in the New World.

>In three lectures (relectiones) held between 1537 and 1539 Vitoria concluded that the Indians were rightful owners of their property and that their chiefs validly exercised jurisdiction over their tribes. This had already been the position of Palacios Rubios. Neither the pope nor Charles V had a rightful claim over Indian lives or property. No violent action could be taken against them, nor could their lands or property be seized, unless the Indians had caused harm or injury to the Spanish by violating the latter’s lawful rights.

>A supporter of the just war theory, in De iure belli Fransico pointed out that the underlying predicate conditions for a "just war" were "wholly lacking in the Indies". The only area where he saw justification for Spanish intervention in native affairs was to protect victims seized for human sacrifice, and because of the inherent human dignity of the victims themselves—whose rights were being violated and thus in need of defense.
>>
>>1047226
No. Nothing is just. Things like war will happen because of a need for power, and since the need for power is universal among humans, war will continue until the last person on earth dies. This is neither deplorable nor just. It just is.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.