[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To theists on /his/: it what ways do you justify or back up the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 1366255891048.jpg (2 KB, 126x108) Image search: [Google]
1366255891048.jpg
2 KB, 126x108
To theists on /his/: it what ways do you justify or back up the idea that God or the deity you believe in has a will, a mind, opinions, and things of the like? This isn't intended to be an attack, I just want to hear your point of view. Thanks.
>>
>>1003997

I have a 2 foot long penis.

Ergo, there is a God who loves me in particular.
>>
>>1003997
The wonderful thing about faith is that you don't need anything to back it up. A theist can prove God by shrugging his shoulders. This is why theists will be the death of wisdom in the world
>>
>>1004010
Holy shit, me too. What denomination are you?
>>
>>1003997
That's how God revealed Himself to the people who came before us. And when we're adopted by God, it's how God reveals Himself to us.

If you read the accounts of men living with God in the bible, you can see that God has a mind, and opinions, and desires, and emotions; in fact, you can deduce that God has those things from the fact that He created us in His image, and we have those things.
>>
>>1003997
He chooses some words to speak but not others. That's evidence enough of a personality to me.
>>
>>1004037
Norse Pagan.
>>
>>1004047
Expound please. What words does he speak and how does he speak them?
>>
>tfw /his/torians never respond to my threads
>>
Given the randomness of this universe... I got nothing. I'm completely stumped. God could just be two dices constantly rolling for a decision.

Then again, I believe that God transcends the materialistic universe, or in other words, literally bigger than the infinite spaces of the universe, so, I wouldn't even begin to think that the concept of personification may apply to God.

Now, I'll turn off serious mode. I think that God has a will because he willed mankind to make ice-cream Oreo. Therefore, God loves humankind.
>>
>>1004034

t. I understand nothing about faith
>>
>>1003997

I do not. Theism is the natural state of man, it is up to the atheist to justify his unbelief.
>>
When it comes down to it, I personally don't use anything to prove or justify my faith. According to the holy Qur'an, God guides whom he wills and he gives faith to those he wills. I find that in prayer, I find a peace and a connection to Allah in a way that nothing else ever has. I find that the memorization and recitation of the Arabic Qur'an that he sent down gives me real and comprehensive guidance in this life. I find that the acceptance of his will in both misfortune and fortune gives me calm.

The rest, the philosophy and theology are just footnotes to this core experience of faith.
>>
>>1006181
Why'd you take the bait, anon?
>>
>>1004041
Not what the OP asked. We want to hear a method describing how a formless, timeless god is capable of thought or action.
>>
>>1006209
That's why kids have to be indoctrinated into those beliefs, right?
>>
>>1006290

Are you referring to children being raised to follow the same traditions as their older family members?

The OP was about belief or faith in God, not forms of worship or anything of that sort.
>>
>>1006300
>Are you referring to children being raised to follow the same traditions as their older family members?
Referring to religion as tradition is obfuscating the issue.

I'd love to see some proof of his claims. Especially considering, for instance, feral children, who never exhibited any kind of god beliefs.
>>
>>1006326

>feral children

You might as well use those held in insane asylums as examples.
>>
>>1006337
We're talking about humans who were not indoctrinated into anything. Feral children are the most apt example you can find, and they run contrary to your position.
>>
bump...
>>
So far the answers I have are

>Well, the bible says...
>I literally don't justify it.
>Well, prove god ISN'T like that.

I have to say, I expected more. But I'm hopeful. Theists PLEASE give me your thoughts.
>>
Please
>>
>>1006230
>holy
>Qur'an

Pick one
>>
>>1006255
You would have to demonstrate how you can do things God, your maker, cannot do. God would have to be smaller than you, yet have created the universe, a feat you cannot match.

So no, we don't.
>>
>>1008901
Look, when you have questions about God, you need to turn to the bible, the source of information about God.

And you can read how God and Abraham bargained over the fate of Sodom, and see that God has a mind, and a will, and can limit Himself as He chooses.
>>
>>1010064
>the source of information about God.
Nah. Muslims say their book is the real deal, so "look at this book" obviously won't help me here. Any other justification please.
>>
Reason cannot be a source of faith.

Reason comes from within, faith comes without.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.