[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HELP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: vs.jpg (123 KB, 743x433) Image search: [Google]
vs.jpg
123 KB, 743x433
Howdy /gd/

I need some help.
First off... I might as well mention that I have been a freelance graphic artist for two years now and I still have a lot to learn.

My girlfriend's father is starting his own business and asked me to create a logo for him for free.
Naturally I said I’d do it because I’m dating the man's daughter. But doing the logo free is not the problem... I care about my girlfriend's father and want his business to succeed so I agreed to do the logo.
The problem arises when he was describing what he wanted as a logo… as it turns out….He had already went to a local design firm and had a logo designed for him.
The logo they designed was a literal copy paste job of the logo on the right (except they replaced “golf cart zone” with “York Custom Golf Carts”). He hadn’t paid for this logo yet and he wanted me to simply duplicate it for him. As easy as that was I felt compelled to create a logo from scratch (on the left) …I wanted to help his business succeed and copy pasting the same logo dozens of golf cart places have used would only hinder his business. I’m not saying my logo is perfect, but at least it’s original.
Long story short, I showed him the logo on the left and he hated it and DEMANDS that I create a logo like the one on the right.

What do /gd/? Do I just cave in or stick to my guns?

TD: DR
>Girlfriend’s dad wants me to copy a logo for his business

>I thought it was too cliché and created my own

>Girlfriend’s Dad really wants to be cliché

>Help

PS: If you have any suggestions on making my logo better please let me know!
>>
Your logo is a stearing wheel? Its pretty nice, but maybe you can make it more define. Its a bit too abstract. The logo on the right is just too boring. And the name dont even match that boring golf cart.

Maybe put two golf clubs behind the stearing wheel?

Tell him that his company name doesn't match the logo on the right.
>>
>>240536
Thanks for the quick response! /gd/ is normally pretty dead.

I understand the argument about it being too abstract.
The only problem I see with the golf club idea is that he makes really suped up carts that are really just for cruising around, they likely won't ever see a golf course.

Also here are some extra rough drafts of the logo, just for kicks
>>
>>240537
ya its always takes a while to get reply(ies) but I'm a nice guy :D

he only make golf carts for anything else but on a golf court. When he modify the golf cart, what does he focus on? speed? durability? long distance?
>>
>>240537
oh be aware though is that I'm still a student
just trying to help out with what i've learned
>>
When you say "literal copy paste job" and "duplicate", I don't know how literal you're talking here. If the other design firm made something that used that same "letters as wheels" concept but it otherwise looked different, then they're hacks, but I don't think they're really doing anything wrong per se, and golfdad is a piece of shit for not paying them. If they literally did copy that example logo almost identically, then yeah they're not just hacks but plagiarists and golfdad has no obligation to pay them for work that he could get into legal trouble for even using.

In either case, if golfdad wants you to recreate whatever they did, then he is at least asking you to be a hack and at worst a plagiarist. He can fuck off for that. You might still be young, but you're running your own business and building a reputation, and you've got to stake your name on every piece of work you do. That cheap fuck is starting a business to make himself some money, and you're taking time out of your life to help him with it for free. He is entitled to NOTHING from you, regardless of whether you're porking his daughter or not. So you tell him, in gentle and helpful terms, what you can and can't do for him, and what you do and don't feel comfortable doing. And if he doesn't like it, it's on him not you.
>>
>>240537
your logos look good.
>>
>>240541
He focuses on all of those things

>>240544

Wow! Thank you so much for your very well thought out response!
That last bit is especially true and spoke volumes to me. Solid advice anon. Solid advice. I'll likely do just that

>>240545

Thank you!
>>
>>240551
>>240544
thanks to this guy too~

maybe try to convince him to agree that your logo will work better. Put the logo on some mockups?
>>
>>240537
Oh boy the original on the right is horrendous. I like the simplicity of the left one, but yes it is a bit abstract. Black on white looks best for it.

If he's older, the guy seems like he might prefer the stylisation of the right logo, or because it's 'fun and professional'. Perhaps remake the right one? I see you already have a better golf cart image. Just recreate the composition with your fonts/graphics. Liking that chop-shop look you're hinting at with the font on "York", but he may see it as immature or trashy if you were to go all out flames and hotrods.

Your best bet could also be to explain, as somebody in graphic design, why the right one is no good and that your designs are more current, attractive, lasting, yada yada.

>>240551
It's certainly important not to totally flip off this guy. Of course there's the principle of honour and reputation and money! But he is your girlfriend's dad, and I'm sure he's a decent fella regardless.
>>
>>240553
not only if he can reason with OP. if not, then I consider him to be retard
>>
>>240553
Something tells me that a dude starting a custom golf cart business probably has a low bar when it comes to immature or trashy.
>>
>>240552
Good idea!

>>240553
First off thank you for replying!
He is a little older so the fact that we might like the more stylized logo would makes sense. I should have took that into consideration when designing my logo in the first place.
I agree with everything you said, trying to explain why an original idea is better is certainly a viable option but because he is older he can be pretty stubborn.
and yeah he's a good guy, he means well.
Thanks again!

>>240559

Right on the money, perhaps it's too clean for his tastes.
>>
>>240559
Well.. that depends, I think this picture is quite relevant to your post. JK op sure he's cool
>>
>>240534
Hey man, what fonts are you using?
>>
>>240537
These are all better than the one on the left you have in the first post.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.