[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: 1428607489421.png (1 MB, 1000x1400) Image search: [Google]
1428607489421.png
1 MB, 1000x1400
Previous: >>53837155

Welcome to /fg/lt/, or as I've recently taken to calling it, /fg+lt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
>>
>>53849410
Reposting since I posted this moments before the previous thread died.

Could I get some good font suggestions? It's mainly just going to be sitting around the terminal emulators. I'd check the font pasta more, but I don't want to go through so many. Plus there might be some more outside the pasta. I wouldn't like there to be _some_ spacing, just so long as the characters aren't humping each other.
>>
>>53849410
how can I check if my ram is single or dual channel on arch? also what DE/WM offer the best battery life?
>>
h-hi guys, resposting from last thread....

I am interviewing for a sys admin(ish) internship tomorrow and I'm not sure what to expect--there aren't too many requirements for the job other than CS major.

One of the main parts of the job will be configuring linux servers to move everything to (from unix servers) and writing scripts (start-up, automation).

I was wondering if you guys could give me any pointers on good questions to ask or things to look up before the interview?

Sorry to bother about this I just thought it would be good to ask some people who actually know about this shit.

thanks
>>
>>53849480
Sorry.
*I WOULD like there to be some spacing.
>>
>>53849480
>>53849480
>I wouldn't like there to be _some_ spacing, just so long as the characters aren't humping each other.

In URxvt you can use URxvt.letterSpace:.
>>
I'm curious about using TLP. I have a laptop but the battery is dead so I don't care about what happens when the AC goes off. What I want is it to use as little power as possible unless I am doing something which requires high CPU load, at that point I want to give it everything it has.

Would TLP have any benefit here or would it be the same/better to just manually change governor states from powersave to performance when I need it?
>>
>>53849483
>what DE/WM offer the best battery life
dwm
>>
>>53849480
terminus, termsyn
>>
File: xjgIUnI.jpg (512 KB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
xjgIUnI.jpg
512 KB, 3200x1800
>>53849312
after actually restarting, the font scaling seems to work well enough. Chrome scales fine, and due to the larger font windows are bigger
>>
>>53849483
>how can I check if my ram is single or dual channel on arch?
Why would you care?
>>
ok so I mounted my external harddrive with:

sudo mount -o user=no /dev/sdb1 /mnt/exthd

so I can access it as my user but now im getting an error saying not accessable in ranger.. When I go on root to mount it it works fine.. I dunno what to do.
>>
>>53849556
Damn gnome3 looks great on a hidpi screen.

Such a shame i'm a poorfag with 1280x800 laptop
>>
Someone who knows how to contact them oughta tell the Debian folks that their URL to download the netinstall is broken. It's still linking to version 8.3.0 which doesnt seem to exist anymore. You have to manually change the URL to read 8.4.0 to get into the page
>>
>>53849660
irc, or file a bug report
>>
>>53849410
what are some maintenance commands on arch? I know pacman -R package will remove it but does it also remove dependencies? I have a script to run fstrim, update & upgrade wondering if there's anything else I should add
>>
>>53849774
-Rns removes package, old (protected) configs and dependencies.
There's also one to clean the cache so you only have binaries from previous X number of versions but I forget what that is.
>>
>>53849812
could you or someone explain how to solve
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)

trying to remove gnome
>>
>>53850011
You're trying to remove something which is needed by something else, would be my guess.
>>
http://thebest404pageever.com/swf/au_au_au_au.swf
>>
>>53849559
I think user is an fstab option to say that a non-root user can mount it. Use uid=<username>
>>
>>53850056
>uid=<username>
so
sudo mount -o uid=no /dev/sdb1 /mnt/exthd
??
>>
I'm quite an experienced linux user, and I'm gonna be dual booting linux and windows for games and work (i'm taking a linux based class on low level architecture so i need it for that reason) What distro should I use? I want something lightweight and riceable but stable (not arch)
>>
>>53850085
If your username is "no".
>>
>>53849774

You could have checked the Wiki by now and found all your answers.
>>
>>53850106
yeah it is :)
>>
>>53850085
man mount
>>
Hey guys, I'm trying to use Unetbootin in Debian Unstable and the program just gives me a blank screen when opened.

How can I fix this?
>>
>>53850221
post a screenhsot
>>
>>53850221
if your bios/uefi behaves wonky when booting an iso

the most failproof solution burn the iso to a cd/dvd

it works 100%
>>
>>53850147
That's pretty gay, anon.
>>
>>53849480
I like Inconsolata for terminal fonts. I like noto sans and noto serif as my main web/gtk fonts.
>>
>>53850263
>>53850273
If I open it through the terminal while root, it gives me this error message

(process:9654): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(unetbootin:9654): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
Extension: 130 (MIT-SHM)
Minor opcode: 1 (X_ShmAttach)
Resource id: 0x148
X Error: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter) 128
Extension: 130 (MIT-SHM)
Minor opcode: 3 (X_ShmPutImage)
Resource id: 0x100000a

along with similar ones later down
>>
we need to just ditch x11 already, gawd
>>
>>53850342
No
>>
>>53850342
wayland is coming
>>
>>53850342
Yes, for x12
>>
Any gentoo friends can tell me the best way to learn how to solve problems on my own in my new gentoo system? I don't want to go bug people about it, I want to figure it out on my own. But I'd like to know where to start my learning. Maybe, breaking something on purpose and then fixing it?
>>
>>53850547
The best way to learn is to pass init=/bin/sh to the kernel when booting.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
I've been faffing around for four hours trying to get Gentoo's wifi functional. The only way I've found I can get it working is on the livecd using
wpa_passphrase "ESSID" > /etc/wpa.conf
wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211,wext -iwlp2s0 -c/etc/wpa.conf -B

If I try using that on the install nothing happens.
>>
>>53850547
definitely use unstable packages on a global basis
you'll run into breakage and dependency problems before long
>>
>>53850677
use NetworkManager
It just works
>>
How do I stop Lubuntu from suspending my laptop when I close the lid? I've changed "lid close action" in power manager to "switch off display" but it just keeps doing it.
>>
>>53850547
Use the rm manuals, they are better than man

rm -rf / 
>>
>>53849483
Afaik your bios can tell you
>>
>>53850782
>stop Lubuntu from suspending my laptop when I close the lid
That's silly. It's the best thing to do.
>>
>>53850874
It's a shitty old laptop that I use a torrent machine. I don't want it to suspend, which stops the torrents, when I close the lid. I just want it to turn the display off and keep running.
>>
File: 1435431955038.gif (614 KB, 400x355) Image search: [Google]
1435431955038.gif
614 KB, 400x355
>Where in the world is Richard Stallman?

President and founder of the Free Software Foundation Richard Stallman has an extensive travel schedule and frequently gives talks about free software all over the world.

If you would like Richard Stallman (RMS) to speak at your event, please contact [email protected].

If you would like RMS to come to your school and speak, try asking professors in IT-related departments if they would like to bring him. They can contact [email protected].

You can find video and audio recordings of many of Dr. Stallman's speeches and lectures at audio-video.gnu.org.

Apr 11, 2016 06:30 PM Athens, Greece Event Richard Stallman - "Copyrights vs. Community" (Athens, Greece)
Apr 12, 2016 06:00 PM Athens, Greece Event Richard Stallman - "Copyright and Free Software Licences" (Athens, Greece)
Apr 15, 2016 07:00 PM Nantes, France Event Richard Stallman - "Le logiciel libre et les libertés numériques" - Nantes, France
Apr 16, 2016 05:00 PM Choisy-le-Roi, France Event Richard Stallman - "Pour une société numérique libre" (Choisy-le-Roi, France)
Apr 25, 2016 06:00 PM Nevers, France Event Richard Stallman - "Copyright vs. Community" (Nevers, France)
May 28, 2016 12:00 AM Monza, Italy Event Octet Stream Richard Stallman to speak in Monza, Italy
Jul 24, 2016 01:00 PM New York, New York Event Richard Stallman - "Freedom and Privacy in Our Lives, Our Governments and Our Schools" (The Eleventh HOPE, New York, NY)
>>
I'm done! I'm out! I've been fighting my system for the past 2 hours now. I have a little Pentium dual core sitting in an h97 chipset motherboard as my server. It was running Linux Mint 17.3. Figured I'd move it over to Ubuntu 15.10. Install complete and everything find. Boots to black screen with blinking cursor. No grub, no options or words, nothing. Comb through forum post after forum post and it has something to do with Linux not playing nice with UEFI. Try the various "fixes" and still same problem. I even tried making the USB bootable with both uui and rufus tools.

Figure I'll go back to Mint 17.3 because at least that works. Nope! Same shit. What. The. Fuck. Is Linux so shit they can't even get basic UEFI compatibility? Or are all machines with Linux ancient toasters? My T420 has Linux just fine because it has old school BIOS. I just don't get it.
>>
Why is qubes + whonix such a buggy piece of shit?
>>
>>53850756
>tfw it doesn't just werk
>>
>>53850961
>Is Linux so shit they can't even get basic UEFI compatibility?
Who is "they"?
>>
>>53850835
I've been using linux for 10 years, I'm not retarded, I just didn't learn as much as I wanted to on debian so thought I would ask.
>>
>>53850941
Stop to close the lid.
>>
File: 1443868320973.jpg (13 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
1443868320973.jpg
13 KB, 470x313
>>53851007
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made of service by the GNU libs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a subspecies of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by GNU.

There is in fact a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53851006
Ubuntu devs. Anyone. Everyone. I'm just hopping mad because of the amount of time I've spent just trying to get the PC to boot to desktop. I just completely at a loss. How did Mint 17.3 install fine the first time, but now won't the 2nd time? Same mobo, CPU, drive, BIOS settings. I have compatibility mode enabled in the BIOS. I'm out of options. It is like this on both of my PCs that have UEFI motherboards. Anything non UEFI runs like a top.

I mean ffs on the first install, I didn't edit grub or the etc and cfg files! And it booted fine! What changed??
>>
>tfw it just works on my machine
>>
>>53851067
>Ubuntu devs. Anyone. Everyone.
You mean Microsoft?
The actual people behind Secureboot?
>>
>>53850961
Uh, can't you just disable UEFI? Like some kind of legacy BIOS compatibility thing?

I have never had issues with it personally desu
>>
>>53851067
If you used gentoo, you would have to do that anyway. So why not learn and then never be bugged by it ever again?
>>
>>53851192
Secure boot was off. This isn't my first rodeo with Linux, or installing it on machines. I use Linux extensively on my T420 and it works great. I was using Linux on my server but now it's fucking me in the ass.

The windows install is almost done. I didn't want it to come to this, but this server of mine is just for basic file sharing over the network. I refuse to spend more time on this.
>>
>>53851236
I don't know why anyone would choose to use UEFI on purpose.
>>
>>53851236
Yea it's called CSM on newer motherboards. I had CSM enabled to allow for both UEFI and legacy stuff. Like I said nothing changed in the BIOS from before. I literally just wiped the drive, and started the install. Booting from the USB works fine. Full functionality. It installs completely with no errors. Then asks me to restart. I do. Black screen, blinking cursor, no options for anything and no text at all. Ctrl+alt+del restarts the PC and that's it.

Is it a USB 3.0 thing? I know Windows 7 bitches when you try to install from a USB 3.0 port because it doesn't have USB 3.0 drivers by default.

I've been beating my head against the wall with this for several hours and I'm at my wits end.
>>
>>53851247
Still on MBR ext2 boot and ext4 root!
>>
>>53851469
Using ext4 boot and btrfs root here, but that's because I jumped on the linux train long after ext4 was an established standard.

Can you even still create ext2/3 or were they disabled?
>>
I was running linux mint along with win 10 for a while,I formatted the mint partition , I have decided to give porteus a shot, downloading now. Any things I should know before starting?
>>
I have installed mozc-ut on my Arch computer, but it's not listed at the available input methods in uim. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>53851490
mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1/code] Worked this morning. Can't say for ext3 but I'm sure it does fine. I just installed this system this morning. I went with what I knew.
>>
>>53851593
Yes, just don't forget to comment that last part out.
>>
>>53851593
>>53851604
kek

Surprised it still works though, it's practically deprecated.
>>
I tried installing LXQt on Lubuntu 15.10 and not only did it not work (LXQt doesn't show up in the login screen DE menu), but now when I log in under LXDE there's no Wi-Fi. WTF happened? I even re-added the nm-applet to the bottom bar but Wi-Fi doesn't work, it just gives me a little network error icon with "repair/disable" options when I right click that do nothing.

Do I need to reinstall Lubuntu now?
>>
>>53851519
but why
>>
Is Debian Testing as bad as some people say?

I've just heard it said that you either go Stable or Unstable, never Testing. Wanted to know why
>>
Could anybody share some experiences with Red Hat's certification programs?
>>
how do notification managers work? I want to set dunst as the default one but can't figure out how
>>
Installing arch.

The guide calls for

(parted) mkpart ESP fat32 1MiB 513MiB

but i'm getting the error: Invalid Token: ESP

Can anyone help me out? mkparted help lists only primary, extended and logical as the three types.
>>
I'd like a lightweight distro to use in place of Windows. I've tried Ubuntu 14, fedora 22, chakra, solus, elementary, archbang, KaOS and a few others, and it of them all I liked the DE on Ubuntu (easy to use, smooth) and the AUR and pacman from arch.

Is there a distro that is easy to setup and use that works with the AUR and uses pacman? Or will I need to install arch and just go from there?

Also I hear when installing gentoo, it complies itself for your system and can take a long time, why would an operating system compile itself for specific hardware, that doesn't seem like a good use of install time.
>>
>>53852014
It runs as a daemon, waiting for clients to give it a message to send to the desktop.
>>
>>53852043
Seems to be quite a few results in google for this.

>You should partition the drive /dev/sda and not the partition /dev/sda1.
>The message is not really helpful to figure that out.

Dunno if that will apply for you. Others seem to suggest that the partition had not already been made and should have been.
>>
>>53852049
Manjaro is easy to set up, can access the AUR and uses Pacman. (I'm going to regret suggesting that.) Antergos is Arch with a graphical installer.
>>
>>53852127

I can't find anything for the specific error.

I have an entirely blank and separate hard drive (sdc) from my windows partition.

I parted into sdc and when I attempt to write mkpart ESP fat32 1MiB 513MiB (verbatim from the guide), I'm given a token error.

I chose to make it primary and set it to boot but I'm not sure if thats the same.
>>
>>53852049
While the installation process takes longer on Gentoo, compiling itself for your specific sets of hardware optimizes it, making it faster. At least, as far as I know. Aside form that, if you're worrying about Arch being too difficult to install, then I really wouldn't suggest Gentoo.
>>
>>53852049
>Is there a distro that is easy to setup and use that works with the AUR and uses pacman? Or will I need to install arch and just go from there?
Manjaro, antergos, maybe a few others

>Also I hear when installing gentoo, it complies itself for your system and can take a long time, why would an operating system compile itself for specific hardware, that doesn't seem like a good use of install time.
It doesn't take that long to compile. People do it for a variety of reason, it gives you control over dependencies because they are not hard coded in to a binary which is build for every possible use case, it performs better on your hardware (this can range from imperceptible to quite noticeable depending on the hardware and the program), you can add patches yourself. In my experience the system is more stable as well because everything is build against the same specific libraries you have. Ultimately you have a lot more control over your system. Whether it is a waste of time depends on you really.
>>
>>53852043
>mkpart ESP
Where did you see that? I don't recall that from the install manual.
>>
>>53852192

Beginner's Guide under UEFI examples.

If creating a new EFI System Partition, use the following commands (a size of 512MiB is suggested):
(parted) mkpart ESP fat32 1MiB 513MiB
(parted) set 1 boot on

Seems that it doesnt matter from other sources. But now I'm trying to create a partition from 513mib to 50% but I'm getting an alignment error now.
>>
>>53851708
Muh lightweight probably
>>
>>53851519
Porteus is a fantastic little distro but it's not meant for installing on a drive really, it's meant as a persistent live usb distro.
>>
>>53852368
Could you vouch for how fast it is as a persistent USB? Any breakage with your experiences?
>>
So is KDE stable yet? I just saw 5.6 came out and am thinking of trying Kubuntu again when 16.04 drops in a few weeks, but I've been so put off by how shitty old versions of KDE were I'm not sure if I should waste my time.
>>
>>53852430
I only use as a backup in case I need to fix my system, which isn't very often, but it is very fast especially for usb. Never had any breakages but the packaging system is a bit weird to me, I'm sure it makes sense if you find out how to use it properly though.
>>
>>53852482
How much time would it waste just trying it?
>>
If you don't use Arch linux you are a computer illiterate retard and should probably just go ahead and kill yourself.
>>
>>53851953
Anybody know?
>>
>>53852548
The debian wiki plainly says why, did you read that?
>>
>>53852545
what if I use gentoo?
>>
>>53852574
You are an idiot
>>
>>53852584
ok then
I'll install Arch
>>
>>53852545
topkek
>>
Touch support in web browsers, anon.

Firefox has no native support, and the Grab and Drag addon is pretty fucking shitty. (To be fair, it's not explicitly designed to be a touch support addon).

Chromium has god-tier touch support, but hurr durr Google botnet voice recognition sneaky code etc.

Are there any other options I should check out? Typing this from Chromium fwiw.
>>
So I'm running fedora kde, and ever since a few minutes ago, every time i right click on the start menu, kde freezes and I lose all gui interactions. Also, I installed glib2 and gtk2 for the file picker on ff, but it didn't do shit, and now I cant remove glib2, since its now a dependency for systemd. What do?
>>
>>53852632
>Typing this from Chromium fwiw.
stop lying, you are copy pastaring from chromium.
You could've tried every possible browser since you last posted this, there's not that many.
>>
File: sf.png (35 KB, 544x270) Image search: [Google]
sf.png
35 KB, 544x270
rate my shit
>>
>>53852663
No, there aren't many browsers, but there's infinite addons / userscripts / gnome extensions out there.
>>
>>53852754
ILikeTheFontButIsThisANewInstall?Because16.04IsGoingToBeReleasedSoonAndItWillBeAnLTSRelease/10
>>
>>53852754
>ubuntu
>celeron
>a million packages
>3.19 generic
>bash
>xfce
-4/10
>>
>>53852776
found the zsh hipster kid
>>
>>53852776
I know fuck all about hardware. Could you explain what's wrong with Celeron?
>>
>>53852802
>Could you explain what's wrong with Celeron?
Yeah, they're crap.
>>
>>53852811
Could you be more specific? :^)
>>
Well, not ready for arch yet. Just ruined my win10 install trying to install it, rip.
>>
I have a question regarding LVM's guys

Let's say I have a 20 GB root logical volume, and a 50 GB home logical volume. Both of these reside in the same physical SSD partition. I have some unused room in this LVM for the purpose of making snapshots.

So, let me see if I understand this:
if I take a 1 GB snapshot of the root volume, it will write all the changes made to the root volume in it during the amount of time it is active, and if you wish to reverse it to the state before you took the snapshot, you just press revert and everything is back as you left it?
>>
>>53852822
No offence, but how'd you manage that?
>>
>>53849410
In about a month I'll be opening my loan office for business. The last step is setting up the secretaries computer.

What version of Linux should I use, and what programs can I get that will let me

>set reminders to go off when loans are due
>create invoices
>>
>>53852815
are you not able to do your own research? You said you know fuck all about hardware, you have more information at our fingertips than most people ever had, educate yourself.
>>
>>53852834
Can't tell you honestly, think it happened during the disk partitioning stage. Win10 is "resetting this pc" rn, hope it all works out. Just think I'm going back to mint+GNOME or something else.
>>
>>53852835
>What version of Linux should I use
>>
>>53852802
Nothing, it's just a cheap intel processor used in older machines. It was fine for the time and is still usable.

You're talking to either a >lol poorfags macfag or a 5960X EXTREME OVERCLOCKING fag.
>>
>>53852854
Maybe try Debian?
>>
>>53852859
I meant what distro. Mint?
>>
>>53852773
YesIt'sNew.StillInstallingUpdatesM8.I'mInstalling16.04ServerWhenIt'sReleased.
>>53852776
Thanks. I haven't even begun to install anything desu
>>53852802
Nothing wrong with some celerons. This one happens to be about 15 years old. Literally from a scrap pile like the rest of this system.
>>
>>53852871
Ubuntu
>>
File: The_all_encompassing_pleasure.gif (546 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
The_all_encompassing_pleasure.gif
546 KB, 255x255
>>53852859
>>
>>53852865
No, they were shit at the time. There were better dual cores available for about the same price at the time. Stop deluding yourself.
>>
>>53852871
Sure Mint is fine. With Cinammon, anyone who uses it and is coming from windows shouldn't feel too lost
>>
>>53852878
OC? How did you create it?
>>
>>53852877
>>53852835
Okay, and what about software to >set reminders
>create invoices
>>
>>53852895
I really couldn't advice you on that, maybe google it. I'm sure there are a bunch of options
>>
File: Nose_face.gif (89 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Nose_face.gif
89 KB, 256x256
>>53852886
Not OC. I stole it.
Here, have another.
>>
>>53852895
cron and at are useful for reminding
>>
>>53852895
http://templates.libreoffice.org/template-center?getCategories=Invoice&getCompatibility=any
>>
File: 1443694440106.png (3 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1443694440106.png
3 KB, 400x400
OC
>>
>>53852895
>set reminders
https://askubuntu.com/questions/401807/pop-up-reminder-and-todo-app
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/07/schedule-alarms-reminders-in-ubuntu.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Remind
>>
>>53852879
No you couldn't, the celeron model is intentionally low spec to be the cheapest Intel could offer. It was the entire purpose of celeron, that if was cheaper than all their other processors.
>>
>>53852924
Could we have some more, please? Need to fill my nose folder.
>>
>>53852879
main issue with celeron at the time and possibly still is they were just gimped versions of better processors. I mean like literally they'd take a pentium or whatever and physically gimp it because that was cheaper than setting up a different production run
>>
>>53852879
Haha, do you understand this is a cpu from a time when Pentium 4 was the newest and fastest shit around? Main competitor would have been AMD Duron.
>>
>>53852823
Please? Anybody know if this is right?
>>
>>53852516
enough for me to rather just ask first apparently.
>>
File: lucky nose guy of profit.png (78 KB, 274x320) Image search: [Google]
lucky nose guy of profit.png
78 KB, 274x320
>>53852946
>>
>>53852982
>filename/10
>>
>>53852867
I will thanks anon. Win10 just finished fixing itself, all my boot drive is rip but my data disk is alright.
>>
>>53852968
>implying celerons aren't still in production
celeron is a product line not a single model
>>
File: 1453635986952.gif (37 KB, 284x299) Image search: [Google]
1453635986952.gif
37 KB, 284x299
>>53852946
OC
>>
>>53853020
I love these. It's the perfect troll face
>>
>>53852999
I would have thought we were discussing the actual CPU I have and posted, not some other CPU that happens to use the same name...
>>
>>53853020
Bravo. Made with ImageMagik?
>>
>>53853038
I don't even use them as troll faces. But there's something so fucking great about them. The secret lies within the nose, truly.
>>
File: 1447520509441.jpg (88 KB, 652x540) Image search: [Google]
1447520509441.jpg
88 KB, 652x540
>>53853038
Anime works too.
>>
File: 1434886381014.gif (33 KB, 173x163) Image search: [Google]
1434886381014.gif
33 KB, 173x163
>>53853045
Yes.

Forgot to crop it.
>>
>>53853062
Could you post the code, please?
>>
>>53853092
for i in {1..20}; do convert -background transparent -fill red -font Arial -pointsize 176 label:":^)" -bordercolor transparent -border 50x50 \( +clone -blur 0x25 -level 0%,75% \) -compose screen -modulate 100,100,$((i*10)) -composite miff:-; done | convert -delay 5 - -dispose Background -loop 0 nose.gif

Try a different font or add some slight blur. The current Arial is pretty shit.
>>
File: 1.gif (920 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
920 KB, 250x250
The ride never ends.
>>
Thank you. I don't know anything about ImageMagik yet, though. I think I'm going to try and learn how to use it.
>>
>>53853164 was meant for >>53853118.
>>
>>53853172
Everybody knows and nobody cares.
>>
File: vignette2.png (211 KB, 504x613) Image search: [Google]
vignette2.png
211 KB, 504x613
>>53853092
>>53853164

make vignette style images
convert input.png -alpha set -background none  -vignette 0x1  vignette.png 
>>
>>53853147
noice
>>
>>53853187
E D G E
D
G
E
>>
File: fuk u m8.jpg (490 KB, 900x1302) Image search: [Google]
fuk u m8.jpg
490 KB, 900x1302
>>53853217
>>
File: 1436789107490.png (1 MB, 1000x1400) Image search: [Google]
1436789107490.png
1 MB, 1000x1400
>>53853188
>
vignette

Try:
convert rms.png -background black -vignette 100x65000 out.png
>>
>>53853266
Very beautiful, Anon.
>>
>>53853044
they're still pretty much the same thing only more modernized, just gimped version of better chips, but yeah I'm in the camp that thinks they're trash
>>
>>53853266
i knew you we're going to respond. had to prove that >>53853188 wasn't you
>>
>>53853291
I guess there are about 4-5 different anons who fell for the imagemagick meme.
>>
File: ?21.png (598 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
?21.png
598 KB, 1280x720
>>53853291
What the fuck are you even going on about?
>>
File: 2.gif (709 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
2.gif
709 KB, 250x250
>>53853188
Am I cool yet?
>>
File: out.png (844 KB, 900x1302) Image search: [Google]
out.png
844 KB, 900x1302
>>53853244

>>53853331
not yet.
>>
>>53852998
May it be that there is a little something to learn here.

Put your data in some one place.
>>
>>53853331
kek, post the rainbow smoke code pls!
>>
File: .png (412 B, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
.png
412 B, 1200x1000
>>53853342
Now do this one.
>>
>>53853344
I just took the image from my own post (>>53853147) and used
convert Total_satisfaction.gif -background none -vignette 5x5 2.gif
>>
File: nigger_gave_me_alpha.png (373 B, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
nigger_gave_me_alpha.png
373 B, 1200x1000
>>53853354
>>
Downloading mageia right now, what's your opinion on it? I'm pretty new to Linux, but have used Ubuntu 4-5 years ago when I got a netbook for free from my uncle, mint on a decent laptop from 2009 while my house was being renovated, kali linux to test some networks because I wanted to see how secure they were, Proteus a few times while travelling as I didn't want to carry my laptop with me everywhere and I actually still have it on a flash drive.
Tl;dr: What do you think about Mageia?
>>
I discovered something pretty nice earlier. Let's say you have a series of simliar holiday pictures, but there are annoying people in there. This code will remove the people (basically everything that moves; people, birds, etc) and blend the rest together into one pic: convert -evaluate-sequence Median pics* out.png

Try this in photoshop, kek.
>>
File: ?14.png (140 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
?14.png
140 KB, 600x450
>>53853404
>I'm pretty new to Linux
>magela
Why are you picking to most obscure shit if you're new to this?
>>
>>53849410
I have a .mkv video and .srt subtitles, I want to burn them into a DVD so that my grandmother can watch it on her DVD player (she doesn't have a computer). What's the easiest way to do it?
>>
>>53853438
I like a challenge
>>
File: 1446983587656.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446983587656.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>53853404
>Downloading mageia right now, what's your opinion on it?
>>
File: 1438027217196.png (46 KB, 1500x1383) Image search: [Google]
1438027217196.png
46 KB, 1500x1383
gnome download taking a loooong time
>>
File: ?15.gif (2 MB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
?15.gif
2 MB, 500x362
>>53853481
Why not just install gentoo or LFS or something?
>>
I want to set up a new partition on my laptop for Linux, but windows 10 doesn't allow me to shrink the primary partition 100gbs for a new partition. It's got a 1tb hdd that's got 750 gb free. How in hell do I do this? Google doesn't help.
>>
What makes more sense? Type 1 hypervisor exporting zfs filesystem via nfs to client VM's, or client VM's running nested zfs on top of zvol's? Storage doesn't need to be fast, but it will be a ~50% of capacity.

>trying to pass this off as a linux question and failing
>>
File: :).jpg (18 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
:).jpg
18 KB, 576x432
>>53853436
>>
>>53852754
how do I do this?
>>
>>53853515
I'd rather not wait 20 years on everything to compile on my mid-range laptop. I am going to give LFS a shot when I have a lot of free time.
>>
File: 1456872841191.jpg (104 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1456872841191.jpg
104 KB, 600x450
>>53853404
>>53853520
>>53853534
Pardon, but I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU with Linux. Linux is not an operating setup unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU setup made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital setup components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU setup every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU setup, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and this population are using it, but it is just a part of the setup they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the setup that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating setup, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating setup. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating setup: the whole setup is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53853520
>use a live cd/usb and then do it with Gparted
>>
>>53853563
screenfetch
>>
>>53853582
-bash: screenfetch: command not found

???
>>
>>53853581
I tried this already, when I boot up windows 10, it takes 2-3 minutes, and then the partitions are back to what they were.
>>
Ok, so how do I either play youtube videos without flash or update flash? Every time I open a youtube video it asks me to allow the shockwave flash plugin, so I try to update it and I never can.
>>
File: denunciado.gif (2 MB, 316x228) Image search: [Google]
denunciado.gif
2 MB, 316x228
>>53853600
really nigga
>>
>>53853600
download it from your package manager
>>
>>53853600
sudo apt-get install gentoo
>>
>>53853579
sorry stallman, but zfs is not gnu, and is kernel related, so this is one of the very few times you are wrong.
>>
>>53853602
Then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>53853604
>Ok, so how do I either play youtube videos without flash or update flash? Every time I open a youtube video it asks me to allow the shockwave flash plugin, so I try to update it and I never can.
Remove or disable the plugin and youtube will deliver HTML5.
>>
>>53853602
are you sure you're writing the changes to the disk and not just creating a queue of operations for gparted to run that you never then implement?
>>
>>53853626
Yeah I clicked on the check thingy, and I had actually put a small text file in it for testing purposes, but that's gone too after booting up windows.
>>
Can anyone (if anyone) share his mozplugger config for mpv?
>>
>>53853604
What does this page say?

https://www.youtube.com/html5
>>
>>53853716
http://www.funtoo.org/Package:Mozplugger
>>
>tfw learned more about my system just from installing Arch
>>
File: 1457915242348.png (13 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
1457915242348.png
13 KB, 736x547
2 questions

1. If I compile a git package with an AUR helper, will my package manager update that package?

2. If yes is it possible to compile my desktop environment from the AUR?
>>
File: 1457890719781.jpg (127 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1457890719781.jpg
127 KB, 1280x853
I realize this is not exactly GNU/Linux related, but since this is literally the only thread I like in /g/ and you guys are the only people I tend to find to be nice in /g/ I wanted to share it here, just in case someone ends up liking it

https://youtu.be/UVFmC178_Vs

It's from a pretty cool channel called Computerphile - in that video in particular a guest explains what botnets are
>>
File: sp3.png (223 KB, 364x555) Image search: [Google]
sp3.png
223 KB, 364x555
>>53853808
If I already know what a botnet is do I need to watch this?
>>
I have a .mkv video and .srt subtitles, I want to burn them into a DVD so that my grandmother can watch it on her DVD player (she doesn't have a computer). What's the easiest way to do it?
>>
File: b2r.png (325 KB, 615x629) Image search: [Google]
b2r.png
325 KB, 615x629
>>53853808
>pretty cool channel called Computerphile
>>
>>53853831
Doesn't ffmpeg do that shit?
>>
>>53853841
Why do you dislike it?
I really like their physics and math channels as well
>>
>>53853830
no one 'needs' to, no
>>
File: cl.png (201 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
201 KB, 640x480
>>53853913
That's a relief.
>>
So mageia downloaded and I started the .exe in the iso up, there was an install mageia button. I clicked the fucker, laptop rebooted and now it bsods everytime, critical process died. I'm going to pull out the hdd, stick it in my desktop, get all the important files off of it, burn the iso to a usb, install it on my laptop, and I'll install windows 10 whenever I need it. But is there any other way I could fix windows 10?
>>
>>53853860
idk i just felt like posting that
>>
>>53853956
>installing linux with an .exe
You're off to a great start my friend.
>>
File: wut.jpg (147 KB, 726x590) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
147 KB, 726x590
>>53853956
>I started the .exe
>>
>>53853968
Can we have a /g/-sponsored YouTube channel where we call everything a botnet?
>>
>>53853808
>>53853948
>>53853968
Found a few others that are more Linux related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rPPqm44xLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi326Leuemg&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKzonnwoR2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyldPMn95kk

might be comfy watches if you're eating or something. I dunno. but there ya go, just contributing to thread, sort of.
>>
>>53853972
>>53853984
I knew it was a bad idea. But it looked legit and it even warned me that my pc would have to reboot.
>>
File: 1433769963834.jpg (3 MB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
1433769963834.jpg
3 MB, 3504x2336
>>53853992
>Linux
>>
>>53854049
Sorry. GNU/Linux

Don't feel too frustrated Mr Stallman, they mention you in the second video
>>
>>53854049
Don't you have any better way to spend your time? We get it, it's gnu/linux.
>>
>>53853992
>>53854049
>Last video, white hair guy
>...and of course, Linux - sorry, GNU/Linux
>he smiles

The white hair guy gets it
>>
>>53853778
>1. If I compile a git package with an AUR helper, will my package manager update that package?
pacman won't, your AUR helper might.

>2. If yes is it possible to compile my desktop environment from the AUR?
If the AUR doesn't have it you'll have to write your own PKGBUILD and update it yourself.
>>
>>53854149
Can everyone upload every shit to the AUR or does it actually get checked before it's available?
>>
>>53854174
I'm not sure, read this shit:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines#Sharing_and_maintaining_packages
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_packaging_standards

Somebody might do a quick lookover before it's uploaded to aur.archlinux.org so that it's not fetching https://example.org/botnet.tar.gz, or they might not.

I don't fucking know.
>>
>>53853956
So no one's going to help? Welp, I guess I'll just have to go do it my way, wish I backed my shit up. Even though I've been through so much shit with computers, that back-ups would've made easier, I still can't get myself to back stuff up.
>>
>>53854174
It is not checked, it is a community repository. You can upload anything but most likely it will get seen by someone.
>>
I tried out the Ubuntu 16.04 beta recently. It seems pretty good, but the thing that really bothered me about Unity is how fucking useless the home lens is in the dash. How many god damn versions is it going to take before they allow someone to pin programs to the home lens? The application lens sucks as well. It looks too much like they are trying to copy a phone's UI and everything just gets piled in together instead of nice categories like every other desktop.

Linux desktops sucked for a long time. Things were finally getting good around 2005-07. Then some hipsters decided we needed to throw everything away and reinvent everything to look like mobile and touch interfaces and it all went to shit again.
>>
>>53854281
>those white lines
bloat
>>
>>53854279
Is mangeia even maintained anymore? What the fuck is the .exe you're talking about? Maybe if you want answers on how to fix windows 10 ask on a windows thread.
>>
>>53854309
Apparently Mangina has a yearly release cycle and the last release was 8 months ago.
>>
>>53854281
>not
curl url_of_pic.png | convert - gray:- | mpv -
>>
>>53854309
There was a .exe file in the first folder inside the iso with something like installer as name, at first I thought it would install it to my flash drive but it rebooted my laptop and off to bsod land.
>>
>>53854333
noice
>>
>>53854359
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Linux doesn't use .exe files.
>>
File: 1430617320754.jpg (278 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1430617320754.jpg
278 KB, 1024x683
>>53854297
>Linux desktops
>>
>>53854393
It was a .exe in the iso, it was in the autostart thingy.
>>
>>53853956
>code of conduct
>Mandriva fork
>>
>>53854420
I think you're a bit confused.
Linux doesn't use .exe files.
>>
File: 1458257351541.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458257351541.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
What's the best overall audio solution for Linux?

Or is it best having different programs for different things?

I want to have a decent music playing program, and also one that can do some primitive syncing to an iphone. If I'm better off with individual programs for each of these uses, I'm also fine with that
>>
>>53854438
Ubuntu started this shit on their liveCDs a few years ago, if you insert the CD into a windows computer the autorun.inf shit would load an exe which would do [something???] and boot ubuntu on reboot.

Or something like that, I've never actually used it.
>>
>>53854281
We listen to pictures now.
interesting
>>
>>53854447
I think clementine can do syncing to devices (don't know how well iphones work though) but I prefer using cantata. I use mpd to play most of the time for my library, or just deadbeef if I am browsing directories.
>>
>>53854476
Sorry anon, you're making less sense to me with each post. Then again I don't think I've ever put a live linux cd in to a running windows machine.
>>
>>53854506
I'm not him, I just remember that ubuntu exe shit from like 10 years ago. I think it might be this thing:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
>>
>>53854614
curl -s https://i.4cdn.org/g/1459740639988.png | convert - gray:- | file -i -
/dev/stdin: video/webm; charset=binary

nice try
>>
>>53854653
>video/webm
tell me how a webm can't be binary
>>
>>53854614
kek
>>
File: 1458447494998.png (205 KB, 1280x809) Image search: [Google]
1458447494998.png
205 KB, 1280x809
>>53852661
Start using Qupzilla
>>
>>53854447
A lot of people like deadbeef, but I like Clementine best.
>>
File: IMAG0009_1.jpg (393 KB, 2684x954) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0009_1.jpg
393 KB, 2684x954
I'm mageia .exe guy, I decided to stay up for 24 hours (I'm used to this)
>pic related
>>
>>53854447
I just use mpv. I srsly see no reason to run a shiny player I don't even look at. I just listen to music, mpv does that job and supports endless formats and audio filters.
>>
>>53854614
why are they wearing lab coats
>>
File: 1458575449816.png (419 KB, 599x769) Image search: [Google]
1458575449816.png
419 KB, 599x769
>>53854447
>Linux
>>
>>53854614
>dancing with my thinkpad
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.