[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1445268163041.png (2 MB, 1000x1647) Image search: [Google]
1445268163041.png
2 MB, 1000x1647
Previous: >>53826014

Welcome to /fg/lt/, or as I've recently taken to calling it, /fg+lt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
>>
>>53837155
First post for Windows 10.
>>
File: 1430046606412.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1430046606412.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>53837194
>>
We need your help /g/!

>>53820231

>>53820231

>>53820231
>>
>>53837209
kindly fuck off
>>
What is the most useless script you've done? I just got the idea for making a script that will output emoji unicodes so I can paste them on facebook.
>>
File: 1446244941528.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1446244941528.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>53837206
This comes out when programming drunk.
Fixed.
>>
>>53837227
The most useless was a script I made named "isitmounted.sh". Yes, I kept the .sh in there just because.

#!/bin/bash
echo -e "Device name? \n"
read device
grep -i "$device" && echo "Device IS mounted" || echo "Device is NOT mounted."

At least, that's how I remembered it. I used the -i switch for grep because I'm paranoid. This script was because I was bored and so I wouldn't have to use
mount | grep -i /dev/sdX
because, again, I'm too paranoid to just 'umount' then forget about it.
>>
>>53837227
I wrote a small script to generate a password, only to find out 5 minutes after writing that `pwgen` exists. That was a pretty useless script.
>>
>>53837227
>>53837298
Fucked up the script.
I forgot to add the "mount" before the "grep".
I'll try that again.

#!/bin/bash
echo -e "Device name? \n"
read device
mount | grep -i "$device" && echo "Device IS mounted" || echo "Device is NOT mounted."
>>
File: 1439604609383.png (593 B, 490x298) Image search: [Google]
1439604609383.png
593 B, 490x298
>>53837227
whatcolorisit()
{
while :; do
tput clear
tput civis
tput cup $(($(tput lines)/2)) $((($(tput cols)/2)-4))
d=$(date +%H%M%S)
printf "\033]11;#$d\a#$d"
read -s -n 1 -t 1 && exit
done
}
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 500x364
>>53837155
The stylized image of Stallman on the Game Boy is not right. The pixels are filled in with finer detail lines, rather than the entire pixel darkened to one shade.

What a lack of effort downscale and overall image, 0/10 thread would not shitpost/shill again.
>>
>>53837227
Don't use facebook.
https://stallman.org/facebook.html
>>
>>53837357
Well, to defend myself, the image was created entirely on the command line without any image editor, so don't be a fuck and ph34r my 1338 skillz.
>>
>>53837395
Impressive. Could you post the code?
>>
>>53837402
The gameboy effect was done via:
convert rms.png -colorspace Gray -fill '#495A14' -tint 100 -background black \
-crop 5x0 +repage -splice 1x0 +append -crop 0x5 +repage -splice 0x1 -append out.png

Play with the hexcolor and add some contrast. I lost the other parts because I closed the terminal. Happy hacking.
>>
File: 1455363637543.png (5 KB, 305x55) Image search: [Google]
1455363637543.png
5 KB, 305x55
And then there is that moment when google want's you to stop posting. Good night /flt/.
>>
I didn't know mpv worked in windows, where should the confg file be stored? I can't find an answer for that.
>>
File: Fuck.gif (1 MB, 394x596) Image search: [Google]
Fuck.gif
1 MB, 394x596
>>53837701
While we're on the subject, could anybody explain to me what the fuck is happening here?
>>
>>53837770
You missed one, you silly
>>
>>53837793
Yes, but why does it only happen sometimes?
>>
I recently made the switch to GNU/Linux (Fedora), and I've been ridding myself of the botnet and big brother's ever-vigilant eye. Doesn anyone have any general tips/recommendations on how to keep myself free? I've already checked the wiki and the anonymizing yourself page.
Also, are there any Skype alternatives available on Linux and Windows? I want to be able to video call my girlfriend, and she hasn't installed the glorious GNU/Linux master race yet, but I don't want to expose myself to the botnet so heavily.
>>
>>53837816
because fucking google
>>
Well I am completely fucked. I lost power right when I ran mkfs.ext4 during Arch installation and my whole hard drive appears to be completely fucked. I can't even boot anymore, the Intel Boot Loader gives me an error. If I load from a USB drive it says it can't recognize anything on my HDD, says the tables are messed up (tried fixing some with parted following some guides I found online but it did nothing).

I think I'm just gonna have to format everything and accept the loss of my Win7 install
>>
>>53837891
Probably the most tragic time the power could go out. I feel for you, Anon.
>>
>>53838012
Yeah I'm gonna hook up my generator to my house before I try again, this way if the grid fails me I'll have an immediate power backup

Thankfully had no data on there that was too important, I guess this is a good lesson to backup regularly

if I reformat the drive I should be good do you think?
>>
How good is gnu/ linux for doing the folowing 3 simultaniously

1) running a small server
2) serving files over a wlan to people on android and osx (iphone too but idk if it can connect?)
3) general browsing

And what about in terms of power efficiency

Also what is the digital art and music production support like on linux?
>>
>>53838056
I don't see why it shouldn't be. I mean, it's not like you have too many options at this point.
>>
>>53837891
Did you try to run fsck?
>>
Using LUKS, do I want to format the entire device or just the partition? I've seen both done in examples. Is one less secure than the other?

Babby's first encryption.
>>
>>53838559
I don't understand the question. Why can't you just encrypt what you need to encrypt? If you encrypt what you need to protect, then it doesn't really matter what else is encrypted and you can consider it to be secure.
>>
>>53838589
Well I'm encrypting an internal media drive so I want the entire thing to be encrypted, I just don't know whether it's proper form to luksFormat /dev/sda or luksFormat /dev/sda1
>>
>>53838651
If you want the ENTIRE thing, then don't include any numbers.
>>
File: Manjaro-logo.svg.png (24 KB, 2000x2400) Image search: [Google]
Manjaro-logo.svg.png
24 KB, 2000x2400
Opinions on Manjaro?
I was thinking I should try to mess around with this before a proper attempt at Arch.
>>
>>53838919
Why do people think installing arch is hard?
Just fucking do it

Manjaro is trash btw
>>
>>53838919
Run while you still can, Anon. The anti-Manjaro mob is coming for you.
>>
>>53838919
>manjaro
SKREEE!

Arch is easy to install if you're actually good and nolt inept
>>
>>53838919
Skip that and go for Arch if that's what you're trying to work up to. We're here for you if you have any questions, Anon. :^)
>>
>>53839083
I don't understand this reasoning

what does following a link-web guide that will leave your system in unusable state if you don't untangle its mess prove? Ability to read multiple-choice novels?
>>
>>53837357
I kind of want to make an obra-dinn style two tone portrait of stallman now
>>
>>53839161
lol idk, im just shit posting because everyone else is
>>
>>53838461
>>53838476
Well now I'm not even able to boot from a USB drive. I'm fucked
>>
>>53838919
Manjaro is nice. I'd even recommend it over Ubuntu for people who want more than just getting shit done. Being based on Arch you can do basically anything that Arch can do; AUR access, up-to-date packages, but not so bleeding edge so it cut's you. Very nice are the different community flavors such as fluxbox, openbox, i3 and bspwm. With the latter two you get comfy prericed WM tiling without any effort.

The dark side of manjaro (and the root of the memes) is, the webdev of the manjaro forum forgot to update the SSL cert - and asked the users to turn back the system clock (panic). This happening pretty much killed manjaro for every memer, but if you ask me; hell, every developer has a bad day. Arch breaks X, Ubuntu releases Amazon lenses, Mint get's backdoored - the list is endless. Just do what you think and make your own mind, this is the best you can do.
>>
>>53839266
We could always just kill ourselves.
>>
How is debian after their leader died?
>>
>>53839609
Good point

I changed the software I've been using to burn the ISOs onto my USB drive and that seems to have done the trick
>>
>>53839657
I hope you weren't using Unetbootin. If persistence isn't an issue, use Rufus. If it is an issue, always use Linux Live USB Creator. (LiLi)
>>
>>53839677
I was using "USBWriter." I've changed now to Rufus
>>
>>53839688
Good man. Rufus is the best in my opinion. Hasn't failed me yet.
>>
>>53839609
I'm already thinking about it. I'm realizing being a hypocrite for posting here about free software, linking to freedom, Posting RMS, interjecting, telling people how google and windows is botnet, while my posts are logged at 4kids and my IP is logged at Gooogle (thanks to reCAPTCHA), everything connected to a long list of posts I made. Feels batman.
>>
>>53839702
It's currently burning my Windows ISO (I have to have it for school purposes on that computer so it's my priority), I had to burn GParted first because I was getting an error that Windows couldn't do anything with my drive since it was formatted using GPT or something like that

I'm a bit of a noob to all this as you might be able to guess
>>
>>53839727
>>>/8çhan/
>>>/laínchan/
>>
>>53839745
The people there already know what they are doing. The place to provide help is here; at the edge to reddit/facebook/9gag.
>>
still trying to figure out i3 configuration
how do I get terminals (mod+enter) to always open in floating mode?
>>
>>53839910
B-But, Anon. Y-Y-Your tiles.
>>
>>53839964
I find it highly annoying to have half the screen be a terminal if I only need it for one thing
>>
>>53837818
prism-break.org
Qtox and jitsi are nice.
>>
>>53839970

Then don't use a tiling window manager.
>>
Is there a way to mount a windows drive on my ubuntu server when the windows machine boots?

I'm trying to think of a way to ping the machine every 30-60 seconds and when it receives a response to mount the drive.
>>
>>53840208
You could make a bash script that runs every few seconds and run it automatically on startup.
>>
>>53837155
So I have installed arch, and I am about to add a user.

What groups would you recommend an admin user be a part of? Other than wheel of course.
>>
>>53840261
>not being root
>>
>>53840261
Read into sudo
>>
newfag here, what the fuck are you lot on about? Why is windows bad? NSA shit or something?
>>
>>53840340
Linux is fun and can be very powerful for some workflows, programming for example.

Sure some people may use it to escape windows, others may use it for philosophical reasons (freetards) but I think other than mathematicians and programmers who like the workflow, many of us use linux for fun.
>>
>>53840261

You don't need any other groups than wheel.
>>
>>53840379
thank you, but what about the default group? I have read that it is preferred for it to be your user name, but why not use users?
>>
>>53840373
this

it's pretty much turned into an obsession for me over the past few weeks and i've learnt a fuckload
>>
>>53840373
I see. Considering I am illiterate in programming sticking with Windows would be the best option then.
>>
>>53840454
m8 I don't know the first fucking thing about programming and I'm doing just fine.
>>
>>53840403

Honestly, I have no idea. The explanation on the Wiki user's page, doesn't make sense to me. Either way, I always go with the suggestion.
>>
>>53840463
Got any recommendations for which linux to use? I've only used tails when i was a paranoid fucker
>>
>>53840478
>>53840403

Wait, I think I got it. If you make everyone part of the same default group, everyone will be able to write (change) your files. But that doesn't make much sense on Arch, because the default umask is 022. New files will have 644 permissions, meaning that group members can only read your files, but not write (change them).
Still, I'd stick to the "each user has his unique default group with the same name" approach. I've been doing it for 2 years now and no issues. The same applies to only being part of the wheel group.
>>
>>53840340
>Why is windows bad
microsoft can't make good software
windows is a bloated mess
skype is a even more bloated mess
the only good stuff they made has been ripped from open source projects
>>
>>53840513

To answer that question for the 531513rd time:
Nigga, just use Ubuntu or one of its spin-offs if you don't like how the Unity desktop environment looks.
>>
>>53837155
>>53836409
Yes, yes. Linux is a fucking garbage.

Wifi doesnt work out of the box
File transfer to an android device with MTP doesnt work
No native equalizer
Graphic tearing while scrolling
Overheating issue (you could fix it but would u spend 1h+ fixing and finding the right kernel?)
Touchpad is not good in linux because of "muh free drivers"

This message will be copied and pasted through out /g/ for 24 days
>>
Zuki themes are getting updated for 3.18 and possibly 3.20! Rejoice!

https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes
>>
>>53840518
Thank you, that makes sense :)
>>
File: 1445253019594.jpg (15 KB, 249x400) Image search: [Google]
1445253019594.jpg
15 KB, 249x400
What's the best way to learn and get a feel of GTK? Should I just get Glade and experiment?
>>
>>53840513
ubuntu, mint, something like that

I started with ubuntu server which comes without a desktop environment. Installing a desktop environment forced me to get to grips with the basic commands straight away.
>>
>>53840695
Is RMS some sort of performance artist?
>>
>>53840340
I'm mainly on Linux because the Windows desktop becomes pretty much unusable after getting used to certain features found in pretty much any DE and WM. Have a story providing an example of the shit I don't want to put up with:

At my job as a consultant (not in a position to request new hardware) I at the moment had one 1280x1024 monitor, 19" or thereabouts. Windows 7. I was working with two spreadsheets, where one was to be updated based on information in the other. So I stacked the window I was going to edit over the other one in a fashion that let me see what I needed. I started working and then moved the mouse to scroll the unfocused window - which didn't work. I kept scrolling uselessly for about ten seconds while screaming internally at all the chucklefucks on /g/ parroting that Windows is the best option for office work.

Now, I gather that in Windows 10, scrolling in unfocused windows is actually possible, along with having multiple workspaces. It took until 2015 to implement those basic features, but good on you for getting around to it, Microsoft. I wonder how long it'll take them to implement always-on-top.
>>
>>53840695

Shouldn't you start out by writing it manually? Learn the basic widgets, packing and signal handling/connecting and then use Glade if you need to create elaborate GUIs.
>>
>>53840774

He's an avant-garde, conceptual performance artisan.
>>
File: 2015-09-02_17-32-27.png (56 KB, 127x167) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-02_17-32-27.png
56 KB, 127x167
>tfw I use Manjaro
>>
What distro/DE should I go for if I think the following:

Arch is too much work to setup(probably a bit too advanced to maintain/fix if something breaks at my level as well)
Fedora always gives me woes with nonfree stuff/drivers and stuff and fuck GNOME3
Xfce is nice but has weird rough edges like the compositor issues and a slight feeling of non coherence
KDE5 is really nice but feels a bit too much, just want something light yet functional
Tiling wms are fine, but I don't particularly care for having to spend extensive time setting up the damn thing via config files
Things like window snapping/edge tiling and other such graphical niceties of the modern desktop should work oob
I want a relatively recent version of the kernel, not necessarily bleeding edge as well in terms of packages but neither debian stable/buntu lts
I quite like Ubuntu MATE's implementation of MATE, but the wm it uses marco is pretty scant and I've had some issues with it
I'd prefer to stay away from buntus if possible because I've had a few apt woes with dependencies
>>
Its 4 am and I'm having nightmates all night and can't get back to sleep. Should I install gentoo or wait untill I'm less tired? I'm going to install it today so thought if I started at 4 am it would be done early. Is it hard enough that I shouldn't do it when tired or is it as easy as arch linux?
>>
>>53840893
Debian and cwm (a bare bones wm ported from openbsd that looks like a customized i3 outside of the box, no window decorations etc, floating mode by default etc. considering most people run i3 in floating mdoe and it's hackish to change that, I think i'ts better.
>>
File: fook m8.png (20 KB, 638x396) Image search: [Google]
fook m8.png
20 KB, 638x396
So. I was playing around a bit with DM's and autostarting X in bash when I get this error when I log into my user.

If I try to edit bash or xinitrc I just get a blank file so I'm not really sure what to do here.

Basically
>installed LXDM
>it's pretty wonky and fuck things up a bit
>remove it
>set up bash to autostart X
>now this happened

I'm sure I royally fucked something up, but I'm not really sure how to unfuck it since I don't really know how to go back and edit the files.

That said, I mean, it seems to autostart it, so I'm not sure it's bash that's messing it up, or if it's xinitrc that's the issue.
>>
>>53840893
you seem like a prime candidate for Opensuse. Tumbleweed is more bleeding edge, Leap is .. I guess a bit more stable?
In both you should be able to chose your DE freely. If you like neither KDE nor Gnome maybe Cinnamon will fit your needs? Else just customize KDE, Gnome or Xfce
>>
>>53840983
xterm isn't installed, read the error on the screen.
>>
>>53840893
Sounds to me like you want to use Cinnamon or MATE. As for distribution, maybe OpenSUSE? I tend to just say *buntu (and hate myself for it) for anyone who wants proprietary drivers, but since you explicitly don't want it, I'll happily look past it.
>>
>>53840893
Have you tried Cinnamon? It's probably my favorite DE next to Xfce, it's what I use to spoil myself a bit.

As for Distro, Debian is always a good choice, unstable it you want more cutting edge.

You could also try Antergos, it's a pretty nice gateway to Arch if you are a bit interested in learning more about it down the line. It gets a lot of shit because well, it's Arch made easy, but it's a fairly solid distro that can help you lean a lot while also being pretty easy to use.

And it looks fucking fantastic out the box.
>>
>>53841029
Arch teaches you jack shit, this is not an argument.
>>
>>53841010
God dammit. Not sure how I missed that. I've been reading that little box for ages it feels like.

Thanks friendo. I appreciate it.
>>
>>53841041
Well, helped me learn a lot at least.
>>
>>53841060
Nah worries. It always happens to me when setting up a fresh x install, I don't use xterm and always forget to comment it out of the default xinitrc.
>>
I installed openbox and while i was moving the icons from downloaded themes to my selfmade theme the terminal background changed from white to black. also my font has changed.

the colors set in .Xresources.colors are still used in the terminal, only the background has changed.

What can i do? Already tried resources the .Xresources file
>>
>>53841118
OH i found it out. One of the themes came with an .Xdefaults file wich got loaded instead of my .Xresources
>>
>>53840340
Microsoft is part of PRISM.
A lot of us use GNU for philosophical reasons. Linux is the most functional kernel to use with it.
>>
File: IMAG1347.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1347.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
Currently installing xubuntu but it's stuck doing this.

What do?

I ran the installation from boot and not from inside the os ( try before install)
>>
>>53841388
Remake the live cd. Probably with a different method. Try Universal USB Installer if on windows, just use dd if=isoname.iso of=/path/to/usb if on linux
>>
>>53841388
You should see systemctl status systemd-logind.service for details.
>>
What the fuck. initial funtoo install and it's compiling debian sources 4.4.6 instead of using the binary flagged 3.19 kernel included by default, on first emerge world. Fuck. I didn't tell it to do that!
>>
>spend ages trying to figure out how to change the keymap in arch
>editing the vconsole.conf doesn't work
>adding it to the xfce keyboard config doesn't work
>the loadkeys command doesn't work
>removing my DM doesn't work
>tearing my hair out
>remove the US keyboard layout from the Xfce config menu
>now it works

Damn you Xfce! I though it would load the highest one in the list.
>>
>>53841543

That's what bums me out about GUI frontends or abstractions. You never know what they change or how they work. Another thing which annoys me are different locations of certain files.
The other day I installed Ubuntu for a friend and wanted to change the default language/locale. On Arch I just had to edit /etc/locale.gen and run locale-gen and change the LC_ and LANG variables. I couldn't find any of that and apparently you're supposed to use dpkg-configure or some other Debian tool to change it.
>>
>>53841527
The debian kernel in Funtoo got updated recently, hence it's recompiling. You could mask it if you want to stay on the older kernel, but it's pre 4.0.

You can also look into https://c.darenet.org/scriptkitties/overlay and use the void-sources-bin package. It's on 4.5 and a binary release.
>>
>>53841629
>This is what Arch users really believe
>>
>>53841716
Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the fast response.
>>
>>53841827
It's already done, wow. This compiling from source thing isn't so bad.
>>
>>53841629
You click on the "localisation" icon in the display manager and change to the preferred language.

Fucking archfags I swear to god.
Kek.
>>
>>53842016

How do you add a new language? Your language won't automatically appear on there. Also, this was Lubuntu, which uses LXDM and all you can do is select from an already known locale.
>>
>>53842186
-systemd removes the systemd functionality.
its telling you to add `sys-auth/consolekit policykit` to your useflags, because networkmanager and polkit depend on consolekit having policykit functionality.
>>
>>53842323
I did echo ">=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6 policykit" >> /etc/portage/package.use/consolekit

Was that correct? It's emerging like 80 files now. If it was correct, but not ideal, which would be the ideal way to set the flag?
>>
File: 2015-11-28_02-58-21.png (70 KB, 300x101) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28_02-58-21.png
70 KB, 300x101
What will be more familiar to a Windoozer pleb, *Ubuntu or Mint Cinnamon/MATE?
>>
>>53840963
Wakes up in the morning, damn what a terrible dream, turns on pc ... noooo!!
>>
>>53842452
They're basically the same. I wouldn't use mate personally, it's very ugly and old. I was using mate (known as gnome 2) in 2004 and DEs have come a long way since then. Cinnamon is okay, so is unity with some tweaking. Good luck.
>>
>>53842445
Should I have omitted the version number? That's basically what I'm worried about.
>>
>>53842500
Thanks friendo, those are solid digits.
>>
>>53842511
Or maybe package.use should be a big file and not a directory? Oh no..
>>
>>53842452
Mint Cinnamon looks the most like Windows. Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu all behave Windows-like as well, whereas Ubuntu's Unity is a bit different. Just try out some live-systems and see for yourself
>>
I'm setting up rsnapshot on ubuntu for my data.

Ive finished the initial sync and was creating a snapshot as a test and running it as roon the backup folder gets automatically owned by root whereas the rest of the drive is owned by my user.

Can I change this? If I run the cron job as my user I get
>ERROR: Could not write lockfile /var/run/rsnapshot.pid: Permission denied

What do?
>>
>>53842445
>>53842511
This is a correct way to set useflags. The version number should be omitted, otherwise you'll have to set the useflags for each independent version. So if it updates, you need to set it again.
>>
is there a command to show each machine that a packet or a ping goes through on its way to the destination?
>>
Why does linux always feel laggy when i use it?

Is it a driver issue? using amd cpu and gpu if it matters
>>
>>53842751
what D are you using and what specs do you have?
>>
What do you guys think about Korora? Is it a decent distro for someone who isn't a complete Linux beginner but is still a ways off from intermediate?
>>
>>53842767
should be DE
>>
>>53842751
>Why does linux always feel laggy
linux is a kernel

>>53842784
which
>>
>>53842784
Ive tried ubuntu, debian, mint on my laptop and eos. Eos didnt work since my wifi card didnt have the right driver or something.
>>
>>53842797
i know its a kernal? its an extension to the fully operating gnu system or something. yes yes/..
>>
I just outcommented every mirror in the Arch mirrorlist by hand. How could I have saved time? It's a text file with this format
## Mirror X Bulgaria
Server=xyz
## Mirror Y Switzerland
Server=xyz
>>
After installing YouTube -dl and mpv if I try to play a video with a command like this: mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_JZd1ZjEXw
I get this error
[ytdl_hook] youtube-dl failed, trying to play URL directly...
[ffmpeg] tls: The Tls connection was non-properly terminated.
Failed to recognize file format.

I'm using arch, what could be the problem here?
>>
>>53842805
DE stands for desktop environment, examples include KDE, Unity or xfce
Some can feel more sluggish than others especially on older machines
>>
>>53842823

Use your text editors replace feature. Replace #Server with Server.
>>
>>53842823
probably something like
sed s/Server/\#Server/ $mirrorlist-filename > $mirrorlist-filename 
>>
>>53842863
oh ok, what is a lightweight de then? dont they all do the same thing essentially? is the one ricers use lightweight?
>>
>>53841206
I like this. We don't use Linux with GNU, we use GNU with Linux.
>>
File: 2883262.png (75 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
2883262.png
75 KB, 460x460
After some time spent with Mint on desktop, I decided to switch to more "proper" distro, which is likely Debian stable (get too accustomed to Debian family quirks).

What am I in for /g/? Are there some hardships to expect after using more "firendly beginner" distro?
>>
>>53842897
I'd use "^Server"

Also, piping into the same file shouldn't work.
Since you're using GNU sed in Arch, you can just use -i.
>>
>>53842905
Essentially yes, some just use more resources
I use xfce on my laptop and it feels pretty good, or maybe you could try lxde. Depending on what you use it for you could also just go with a text based system
>>
>>53842892
should have mentioned I want a command-line tool, but thanks
>>53842897
thanks!
>>
>>53842937
Good choice: debian is more stabe than mint, also it "feels" faster, or perhaps more responsive.
>>
>>53842943
oops, seems piping into the same file just results in an empty file
>>
>>53842968
sed
>>
>>53842968
dont do it like>>53842897
I didn't check if piping into the same file works, use a temporary file for the output
>>
>>53842596
Thank you so much. I now have funtoo installed!
>>
>>53842937
>"proper" distro,
>debian
My friend I think you fell for a very ugly meme.
Debian is hardly a proper distro for any purpose other than machines with obscure architectures.

There are better distributions for both desktops, laptops, servers, supercomputers, ANYTHING.

Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS, which is based on Debian Testing.
Differences between each them are minor surface stuff.
Out of the three Ubuntu has superior security out of the box, Mint has dumbed down, Debian has none.

If you want to experiment, try completely different family of distributions.
Fedora-based come to mind (fedora, rhel, centos, etc)
or opensuse based.

Otherwise, don't bother.
>>
>>53842999
No problem, nice to know it's working for you. Enjoy your adventure in Funtoo.
>>
>>53842995
>>53842897

Or use the -i switch.
>>
>>53843029
indeed
>sed -i "s/old/new/g"
>>
I've got a ubuntu system that won't accept my ssh keys, and I can't remember any of my passwords
all my current systems are running arch, is there a way to mount the disk and chroot to change the passwords?
I tried google but I couldn't find anything useful, and when I tried to chroot I couldn't even do ls
>>
Anyone know any window manager similar to 9wm, but with better looking cursors or something that is a little bit customizable?
I know i can change and compile it myself, but I'm lazy.
>>
>>53843137
passwd -R /mnt/ubuntu <user>
>>
File: Facepalm.png (26 KB, 487x380) Image search: [Google]
Facepalm.png
26 KB, 487x380
>>53843137
>>53843238
>mfw I forgot to add
AllowUser username
to sshd_config
>>
I accidentally fucked up the uuid of the root partition in the grub setup and now i get thrown into an initramfs busybox shell. How do i unfuck it?
>>
>>53843213
By cursor, you mean the mouse cursor? You can change that with any WM.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cursor_themes
>>
>>53843383
chroot and fix it
>>
>>53843383
Either reinstall grub from a livecd or just type 'e' on the grub menu entry and edit it, use the /dev/sdX name to boot once and fix it from your system.
>>
>>53842909
It is more logical this way. Some people even choose to use GNU on a minix, BSD or Windows platform. Often with different reasons though.
>>
>>53842937
You will need to secure it a bit and maybe enable or change some sources. Read the debian handbook if you want to learn, otherwise use the wiki. Have fun.
>>
Trying to use mpd but I get this
Apr 03 10:21 : fatal_error: Failed to create sticker table: file is encrypted or is not a database 
anyone know how to fix this?
>>
>>53843619
what steps did you follow to set it up?
>>
>>53843645
http://hallocaffeine.tumblr.com/post/82568710343/ubuntu-mpd-and-ncmpcpp-music-player-in-terminal

I used this
>>
>>53843659
>ls -la ~/.mpd
Show the output from that.
>>
What do you guys think of elementary OS?
Is it viable for everyday use?
Does it get in the way of your work?
>>
>>53843461
>>53843464
Thanks, editing the command line worked
>>
>>53843762
Garbage OS X mockup with shitty, incompetent, greedy devs and vastly outdated repositories despite being based on ubuntu lts.
>>
>>53843762

>a distribution based on a distribution based on a distribution, which uses a new desktop environment developed by 2 people and not even close to the maturity of other environments

Yeah, totally viable. As long as you just want to have it look pretty while being idle.
>>
>>53843762
It is buggy as hell, has shit documentation and the community is almost nonexistent. Use it's a bad fork imo. If it works for you use it but don't bother fixing or contributing to it if you could do that with debian, fedora or buntu.
>>
>>53837227
a script that reads and calls itself
cat `readlink -f "$0"`
ssh `echo $USER`@`hostname` "`readlink -f "$0"`"
>>
I've been using Debian Unstable for a few weeks now. Been loving it

However I wanted to ask you guys - what tweaks should I implement for security, if any at all? Any packages that are musts to install?

Thank you very much
>>
>>53843956
ufw and some common sense
>>
>>53843956
>However I wanted to ask you guys - what tweaks should I implement for security, if any at all?
Kek, a whole fucking lot.
Debian is bare bones out of the box. It literally doesn't have any security at all.

selinux/apparmor for starters.
firewall (firewalld for dynamic fw if youre using a laptop)

lmao
>>
>>53843979
be nice, it's a friendly thread
>>
>>53843979
>selinux/apparmor for starters.
completely unnecessary and complicated for a desktop
>>
>>53843990
if you want a hugbox fuck off to tumblr lad
>>
>>53844011
hugbox =/ friendliness
you don't have to go out of your way to be a dick and look down on people m8
>>
>>53843430
I'm not sure this works with 9wm, because it uses special mouse cursors for special things. There is one for deleting windows, one fore moving, reshaping, creating, etc.
>>
>>53843811
>>53843819
>>53843826
Ok. Looks like I shouldn't bother with it then. Thanks
>>
File: 1458580911675.jpg (45 KB, 599x443) Image search: [Google]
1458580911675.jpg
45 KB, 599x443
What is the best program I can use on Debian to scan an external HDD for potential viruses?

It will get plugged into a windows machine, and I don't want to infect my windows-friends inadvertently
>>
>>53844161
clamav pretty much
>>
>>53843956
can u post your <code> /etc/apt/sources.list <code> I'm fucking something up I think when I upgrade the kernel.
>>
>>53844349
sure. this is the only part that is uncommented

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
>>
I can't watch utube or shitpost on Debian. What am I doing wrong?
>>
What's this shit about permissions in filesystems? I just want to edit documents with different computers. How am I supposed to do that when I have to deal with permission bullshit?
>>
>>53844377
give yourself permissions to edit the file from another user duh
>>
tl;dr: trying to do a home server, send help

I went through some scrap piles of old hardware and put together this P4 era machine. I'm thinking about turning it into a basic server. I did something like this ages ago with Ubuntu server, it kind of worked but I had no idea what I was doing.

This time I want to do it "right", as if it would be used for something useful. So I'm interested in learning how to do it without creating security issues for other computers in the same network, not getting my internet used up by some butthurt dude on the internet etc.

What distros should I be looking at? Is the Ubuntu server fine? Maybe just Debian?
>>
So I have a ubuntu server running only a few things, smb, backups, plex, qbittorrent and rsnapshots for now.

How do I into security? I've enabled ufw and only forwarded the ports that plex, smb and qbt require. Am I doing it right? What else do I need to look out for?
>>
>>53844443
I started with Ubuntu server.

I chose to start without a desktop so that I could learn about basic configuration and commands straight away.

Installing only the things you need is easy as fuck m8. Google is your friend, I have yet to come across something I couldn't research on there.
>>
>>53844443
Anything should do.

Ubuntu Server and CentOS would be my top choices.

For few basic security tweaks that should repel most faggotry
>close ports you don't use
>SSH: disable root, use rsa keys, change default ports (doesn't bring security, but deals with most chinese botnets trying to bruteforce)

Otherwise you should be fine.
>>
Hey guys, previous anon here >>53843956

Now that we're at it, I had another question:
I'm using a few different theme options on Debian - and I'm running into a problem with certain windows.

I have GTK+ as Arc-Dark, Icons as Numix-Circle, Cursor as Adwaita, and Shell theme as Arc-Dark. In many windows, I can't see the quit X at the top right (like with firefox or rhythmbox for example). I suspect it has to do with some conflict. How can I make the buttons visible again while still using these themes?

I also get very very light text sometimes in certain firefox windows. For instance my "Submit" button and filenames when uploading to a post on here.
>>
>>53844641
And I should clarify - I can still click on the buttons as if they were there - they're just not visible
>>
Honestly, after using linux for about 2 days, I feel like this is really hobbyist OS.
>>
>>53844719
Why?
>>
>>53844719
cool story bro
>>
>>53844719
You're entitled to your opinion, friend
>>
>>53844719
It is, it's not for real work.
>>
Can I add commands that require root privileges to a bash init script? How does it get the root password?
>>
>>53844443
Try DVL
>>
>>53844733
>>53844777
It's not bad when I said that, I like to do experimental thing like this so I can explore more when I have more time. It's just I can't do anything related to my major.
>>
>>53844941
what
>>
>>53844941
you can add the script to sudours so that it can run passwordless with root permissions.
>>
>>53845061
neat, thanks.
>>
>>53844373
Install gstreamer and upgrade iceweasel to aurora. Purge flash. If that doesn't work post a screenshot of youtube.com/html5
>>
>>53845005
What's your major?
>>
any way to make xterm transparent without xcompmgr? it's full of shitty bugs, and it crashes the x server a lot.
>>
What package should I get on my fresh installation of arch so thant I can plug and go on my external harddrive??
>>
>>53845631
have you tried compton?
>>
Is there any linux system which is better for gaymin? As along term windows user I would like to make the switch but I see so many things that aren't compatible with Linux, what's an easy one for me to try and get used to? And would I still retain all of the benefits of a linux system if I had a dual boot and only booted windows when necessary.
>>
>>53845675
Pretty sure the Arch wiki has an article that will help you set up auto-mounting of USB drives.
>>
>>53845707
>And would I still retain all of the benefits of a linux system if I had a dual boot and only booted windows when necessary.

Yes.
>>
>>53845707
Install buntu gnome 16.04 in dual-boot and have fun. Remember that gog>steam.
>>
Does OpenSSH have some kind of default idle timeout? Putty's gotten disconnected a few times when I left it connected overnight.
>>
>>53842828
maybe someone could give me resources so I could learn to solve this proble by myself?
>>
>>53845928
yes, it's a basic security feature
>>
How can I get rid of tearing with compton? I turned it on and it didn't help.
>>
>>53846264
try with --backend xrender --vsync opengl
or --backend glx
>>
What's the best distro to rice on?
>>
File: 1451447783289.gif (510 KB, 700x827) Image search: [Google]
1451447783289.gif
510 KB, 700x827
>>53837155
>tfw you've been running funtoo for over a year
>set it all up and enjoyed maintaining it when I was a NEET and had all the time in the world
>got a good job and don't spend much time on my PC any more, managing time is important, don't want updates to take a few hours to compile any more

gentoo/funtoo really is for NEETs and i'm falling out of love with it
>>
>>53846537
all of them
>>
>>53846595
thanks senpai
>>
>>53846537
Basically this anon >>53846595 is right, but if you are lazy and don't like challenges, Arch is the best distro for ricing, since the most stuff you may want to patch or install is already available from the AUR.
>>
File: 1457571861836.jpg (61 KB, 620x571) Image search: [Google]
1457571861836.jpg
61 KB, 620x571
I dual boot my machine with a small Windows partition and a big Debian partition. I've noticed that when on Windows and rebooting after a game to get back on Debian, things are pretty fast But when I reboot from Debian, it takes a looong time to get back to GRUB, comparatively. And yet this is all on an SSD. What could be the cause?

>TL;DR
Debian takes a long time to shutdown/reboot to GRUB when Windows doesn't. Why?
>>
>>53846742
Check the logs
>>
>>53846868
how can I do that?
>>
>>53846936
journalctl
>>
>>53846983
This seems to be only about the last boot up. How can I get it to record more than one boot up, so I can catch a glimpse of what the reboot/shutdown log looks like?
>>
>>53847068
try journalctl -b -1
>>
>>53847143
"Specifying boot ID has no effect, no persistent journal was found"
>>
>>53847161
How about activating it?
>>
>>53846583
I had the same situation but I didn't fall out of love with it, just decided to use something which was quicker to update. I still miss it though, portage really is masterful.
>>
>>53846742
Friends at Archlinux got ya covered: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Shutdown.2Freboot_takes_terribly_long
>>
>>53847197
Thanks mang, I'll have a look
>>
>>53847188
Yeah, I'm not really falling out of love I guess, it's just the shortcomings are more apparent now. I looked into Tumbleweed as a replacement (since I use Plasma), but I know if I move away I won't be able to scratch my autistic itch for the granularity + control that Gentoo grants.
>>
Whats a good program I could use to rename photos?
>>
>>53847436
the bash terminal
>>
>>53847449
Thanks, how about one were I can see the photo and easily rename them.
>>
>>53847480
gentoo
>>
I ended up installing Gentoo with GNOME on my laptop because wasn't really thinking straight. I have a few problems and would appreciate some help with them.
>I can't get the WiFi to work, in the settings it says I need to enable Networkmanager, but after emerging it I've had no luck and am unable to find a command to get it working
>GNOME is missing animations and generally looks a bit shit compared to when I installed it on Arch
>closing the lid doesn't put it to sleep
>>
>>53847480
any filemanager with image previews and F2?
>>
So I'm in a networking/security class and we're using Kali as a distro. What's the general consensus on that specific distro?
>>
>>53847552
use metasploitable linux instead, it's much more 1337
>>
>>53847534
All those things can be fixed.
Set up your networking via commandline first.
You probably had USE flags not enabled for some stuff regarding the animations or you need to enable them in settings.
The lid can be achieved very easily with udev.
Sounds like your installation is a bit fucked though, do you have a lot of USE flags disabled? Did you use any profiles?
>>
Touch support in web browsers, anon.

Firefox has no native support, and the Grab and Drag addon is pretty fucking shitty. (To be fair, it's not explicitly designed to be a touch support addon).

Chromium has god-tier touch support, but hurr durr Google botnet voice recognition sneaky code etc.

Are there any other options I should check out? Typing this from Chromium fwiw.
>>
How can I rescale videos played on mpv to their original format, I dont want the video to be streched.
>>
File: chkedyeah.gif (345 KB, 516x406) Image search: [Google]
chkedyeah.gif
345 KB, 516x406
>>53847620
I'm glad you asked twice, I didn't hear you the first time.
>>
>>53847750
input.conf:
CTRL+0 cycle video-unscaled
>>
>>53847598
Thanks for the response.
The profile being used is the gnome/systemd and there's only a few flags disabled.
The networking guide on the wiki should be fine, right?
>>
>>53844597
>>53844604
I guess I'll just use the Ubuntu server again, I'm at least somewhat familiar with it. I'll come back with stupid security questions when I get it installed.
>>53845004
It seems to be discontinued. Also it seems like jumping in the deep end. After installing this I'd imagine someone has formatted my desktop, installed keyloggers on my laptop and started using the server for sending viagra ads before I realized what it is I'm looking at.
>>
>>53847868
>The networking guide on the wiki should be fine, right?
Yeah should be fine.
Not sure about your other problems to be honest, I don't use gnome but most things in gentoo come down to either USE flags or configs.
>>
How can I take a screenshot whit all my virtual desktops (Openbox)?
>inb4 search it in google
No results
>>
>>53847197
Hey dude, another question:

I tried the debugging method they're offering that article you linked
https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#shutdowncompleteseventually
and also
http://www.unixdude.org/2013/02/18/systemctl-systemd-bootupshutdown-issues/

But I'm having issues with the second step. I never get the log.txt, despite having the script setup in the right folder. I saved it in /usr/lib/systemd/system-shutdown/debug.sh

I have also tried putting it in /lib/systemd/system-shutdown/debug.sh but it doesn't seem to work either.

Why is systemd ignoring the script I'm making for it? Am I saving it in the wrong place? I'm on Debian, if that helps

If anyone else wants to give some advice, that'd be great too. Thanks!
>>
Funtoo is easier to setup than arch linux. It ends up taking about the same amount of time with all the compiling.
>>
>>53844641
>>53844655
Guys? Anyone know what I could do about this?
>>
I'm running Fedora 23 on my laptop at the moment, and it has a 3200x1800 screen.
The scaling level that Gnome has set by default, whilst making everything look fantastic, also doesn't give enough working space.
In gnome-tweak-tool, I only have 2 options (1, 2) which I assume are 100% and 200%. Is there any way to fine-tune the scaling setting?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.