[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm writing a text adventure game in C++ in SDL. Is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
I'm writing a text adventure game in C++ in SDL. Is this a waste of time or am I too based, as they say?
>>
If you enjoy it then it's not a waste of time
>>
>>55631196
>>55631196

Depends on what you are trying to achieve
>>
>>55631251
I'm hoping I can sell it.
>>
>>55631264

Then maybe you are wasting your time cause lot of open source text games are available that you can just build yourself to your liking
>>
>>55631264
utter waste of time
>>
>>55631196
>Text adventure
>In SDL
What the fuck are you doing.
>>
>>55631835
could be emulating an old terminal with cool shaders, that would be pretty neat to see.
>>
>>55631887
You can use SFML for shaders, you know, and it has almost the same weight of SDL and half the boilerplates.
For a text adventure though I'd have suggested an interpreted language, so he could do all kinds of dynamically chosen neat things in its story without having to foresee them in the design.
>>
>>55631981
yeah i actually was working on a text adventure game in python a while back, all rooms were defined in xml so it was pretty fucking customisable. only problem was that im shit at programming so i never finished it.
>>
>>55632000
I feel you, I programmed a rogue-like engine with 2D isometric graphics, shaders, materials, normal mapping, dynamic lighting...and it lies somewhere in the dark of my HDD because I need to graduate fron this university and I don't have time anymore for this shit.
>>
>>55632060
p o s t n i g g a p l s
>>
>>55632106
Not at home right now, I'll see if I can find it in my private bitbucket; hope this thread stays alive until then.

Warning: it's unfinished and barely compiles, Windows only.
>>
>>55631887
>>55631981
http://store.steampowered.com/app/286100/

I thought this looked really cool when i first played it, really cool effect over the game.
>>
>>55632571
i got lincocks on laptop windows on desktop so im good. gimme that shit when you can, i wanna see a good example and maybe even finish it if i can learn how to
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.