[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the best distro?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: hooman.f.male.png (355 KB, 702x496) Image search: [Google]
hooman.f.male.png
355 KB, 702x496
Which is the best distro?
>>
>>55615411
Temple OS
>>
>>55615411
Debian but really it's Opensuse leap
>>
>>55615411
LxPupTahr
>>
>>55615424
Ubuntu/mint
>>
Arch is the best, but time consuming to set up. Gentoo, Fedora, and Debian are alright, too. Ubuntu is trash tier and anyone that uses it should consider suicide immediately.
>>
File: tmp_13106-img_4178-2004188477.jpg (330 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
tmp_13106-img_4178-2004188477.jpg
330 KB, 1200x1800
>>
>>55615411
Arch/KDE
>>
>>55615411
Manjaro
>>
>>55615466
I'm considering installing openSuSe Leap as main on my laptop but don't find detailed information about it on their site.
>>
File: 1466935112850.png (179 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1466935112850.png
179 KB, 409x409
Arch Linux
r
c
h

L
i
n
u
x
>>
>>55615411
ass
>>
>>55615914
>Arch is time consuming to set up
>literally takes five minutes

Here are the arch install steps:
>partition using parted or fdisk, really doesn't give you any more functionality than a GUI one in any other distro's installer
>use a script they make for you to automatically make an fstab
>use a script they make for you to automatically chroot and change your prompt
>use a script they make for you to automatically download the distro and install it
>set timezone and 2 or 3 little tiny configurations where everybody does the same thing anyway
>reboot

Literally the only points in Arch installation where the user changes anything are partitioning and timezone setting, which are done easily by graphical installers. Dropping the graphical installer a few years back served no purpose except to turn a 2 minute install into a 5 minute install.
>>
unironically gentoo

I fully understand that this post is going to get memed all over by Archfriends, but I don't care. I don't want Arch users to come over to Gentoo because they'll ruin it's reputation just like they did with Arch.
>>
Manjaro>Gentoo>Arch>Ubuntu
>>
>>55615411

post moar

Fucking love women with gaps that let you see their balls from behind. Bonus points if they are hanging loose but panties are also fine.
>>
>>55616228
That's cute. You forgot the part where you have to read through the entire manual, and the wiki entries for every piece of software you're installing.

Of course, if you have done that before or made install scripts then it's fast.

>scripts they make for you

You must be talking about Manjaro and other spin-offs. Those don't count obviously.
>>
Why is Manjaro so popular, I as considered it shit because arch is easier to install than a daughter in her father and it doesnt even use the arch repos
>>
>>55616282
>arch for babbies > ... > arch
>>
Mint (Cinnamon)
>>
>>55615411
lmao that image was made by a gimp noob wasn't it
>>
>>55616381
>read the entire manual
The manual is a few paragraphs long.
>Wiki entries for every piece of software you're installing
kek literally what

>you must be taking about manjaro
>what are genfstab, arch-chroot, pacstrap, mkinitcpio, tzselect, etc
The entire Arch installation is running small install scripts that do the entire thing for you besides partitioning. Nothing is gained from the CLI installer.
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
xubuntu
>>
File: 1467664218114-b.jpg (8 KB, 222x216) Image search: [Google]
1467664218114-b.jpg
8 KB, 222x216
>>55617188
>Retard-friendly core + obsolete DE

/g/-tier choise
>>
>>55616749
>running small install scripts that do the entire thing for you
So Windows?
>>
>>55617743
No, because Windows and other Linux distros at least put everything in a step-by-step interface so you don't have to know and remember the names of various arbitrarily named scripts.

There are distros, like Gentoo, that actually need the CLI installer (although they could use GUI or TUI for some stuff I suppose) because they are so minimal that they don't do anything for you like Arch.
>>
>>55615411
The one you like the most.
>>
Debian
>>
Fedora 24 Workstation
>>
>>55615411
Debian Stable
The thing just werks

Btw, I installed Mint 18 since it is being mentioned a lot online
It was the buggiest Linux distro I have ever used, the UI was cluttered, it used the Windows 9x window management metaphor (which sucks)

The real kicker was it identified itself as ubuntu in the EFI boot menu
This is sloppy

Why is Linux Mint shilled so much?
I don't get it
>>
>>55615411
Arch.
>>
The best storm is the autumn storm. The leaves are all yellow and red, and the storm makes the leaves fly around in pretty patterns in the sky. Some like the winter storm, but I prefer the autumn storm
>>
>>55619215
No! The winter strom is far better than the autumn storm. In the winter, the storm is all white and majestic, not colorful and gay. It´s harder to observe the winter strom due to the cold weather, so therefore winter storms are way better than the rest
>>
File: 0002.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18 KB, 128x128
>>55615411
Bedrock is the best distro.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.