[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows 10 memory issues?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: windows-10-splash-1.png (15 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-splash-1.png
15 KB, 2880x1800
Does Windows 10 have issues with memory management?

Against my better judgment I'm on Windows 10 right now, probably going to go back to 7 soon, but just for right now I seem to have an issue with Windows not managing memory properly.

When trying to use any memory heavy software I use (Specifically Substance Painter and Premiere) whenever I reach only around 60% RAM usage, Windows starts tossing "LOW MEMORY" errors and once I reach about 70% shit starts crashing. This is a huge issue for Substance Painter as my 4K workflow can blow through my entire 16GB of RAM with absolute ease when I start getting a heavy number of fill layers and generators.

This problem didn't happen on Windows 7, I can hit 90%+ RAM usage without issue.
>>
Don't take my word on it, but i think that happened on the very first version of W10.
I have everything updated and not a single problem regarding memory so far.
>>
No. I run premiere cs6 on my w10 machine with 8 gigs of ram and I do not have that problem.
>>
Check your pagefile size.
>>
>running an encode
>been getting low memory warnings with 3 MPC-HC windows open
>see /g/ thread
>check memory use
>8GB out of 12
>open MPC-HC
>black screen

Thanks. I was 12 hours into that encode.
At least I still have the .264 file and can trim it up and continue from there.
>>
>using windows
>>
That's what you get for """""upgrading""""" to Windows 10.
>>
>>55610917
Are you one of the idiots that disabled the pagefile?
>>
>>55611924
I'm the one who just blackscreened. 2GB pagefile.
>>
File: memory.png (23 KB, 863x462) Image search: [Google]
memory.png
23 KB, 863x462
I don't know if this helps you or not but here are some stats from my computer

Left: Idle
Right: In the middle of merging a 26 photo panorama
>>
>>55611924

No, I haven't messaged with anything like that.
>>
>>55611997
Show panorama
>>
File: Untitled.png (27 KB, 851x715) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27 KB, 851x715
Blackscreen here. I think I was running out of commit charge. This is now with 8GB pagefile, two encodes (2GB avisynth 1.2GB x264 each), Chrome with 6 tabs, and eleven 1080p MPC-HC/madVR windows open.
>>
Have you done MemTest86 yet?
>>
File: nothing fun.jpg (579 KB, 1919x1078) Image search: [Google]
nothing fun.jpg
579 KB, 1919x1078
>>55612079
It isn't anything fun, it's a poster that a client needs digitally restored

I just started working on it so it looks super crappy right now
>>
>>55612267
Hm ok I guess.
>>
>>55610917
The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>55611997
That doesn't tell us much of anything, download process explorer and find what process is hogging the memory.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
>>
File: Untitled.png (89 KB, 1842x709) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
89 KB, 1842x709
After some testing, it seems Windows now expects a large pagefile (or programs are wasteful in how much they commit.)
With 12GB RAM, opening programs to max it, I was at 16GB committed before it started swapping. So with my previous 2GB pagefile size I think it was running into its commit limit before it even ran out of physical RAM.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.