[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Asynchronous" file management
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Very-Basic-Opened-Folder-icon.png (2 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Very-Basic-Opened-Folder-icon.png
2 KB, 256x256
Just wondering if such a thing exists... I'm currently re-sorting 5 Tb of various data (pictures, videos, documents, backup files, databases, ect...) between 3 different HDD, with a new sorting logic.
So i'm in search of a tool that would "emulate" all the file transfer (and show dir hierarchy as if they were instantaneously done (and maybe check clobbering at this moment)), and once everything is ok i can "push" the changes, and then only it starts moving things for real...
I don't know if i'm clear or not, anyways, ideas ?
>>
Oh, and it can be both Windows or Debian, preference for Windows (more powerful PC).

What inspired me is when you make new partition on disk with gparted or anything like that ; first you list with a nice interface what you want to do and only at the end you write everything down...
>>
Thanks for the idea, gonna make myself an app out of this and get rich.
>>
>>55590250
if i read this right, you basically want to write your script, and "dry run" the sort / copy?

if so you can use rsync as the copy tool it has a dry run switch (--dry-run)

it can be used in windows inside cygwin
>>
>>55590346
Kinda like this but without scripting actually. Just drag-and-dropping and make my folders looks like i copied / moved, and do the actual work at the end...

Kinda like converting drag-and-drop action into "mv" or "cp" command and adding them to a queue, and have an interface that simulate the state of the machine at the end of the execution of the queue...
>>
>>55590250
git annex
If you learn to use it, come back and teach me :^)
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.