[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Vulkan is derived from and built upon components of AMD's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: SNoopy-dog.jpg (96 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
SNoopy-dog.jpg
96 KB, 640x640
>Vulkan is derived from and built upon components of AMD's Mantle API

No wonder AMD gpus do better with Vulkan.

Nvidia has been thoroughly cucked.
>>
>>55590141
>Nvidia has been thoroughly cucked.
What ever helps you sleep at night AMD
>>
>>55590141
while it's definitely an advantage for AMD, nvidia sucking at parallel compute is nothing new. nobody mined buttcoins with nvidia GPUs for a reason.

>>55590157
>gameworks tier disaster for nvidia
>except it's legit and 100% fair rather than corporate sabotage
>fanboys mad as hell
>>
Nvidya on suicide watch
>>
Tbh AMD needs it to stay competitive.
>>
>>55590141
This is an open standard.
How is it bad ?
>>
Did you copy paste that from wikipedia?
>using the word cuck as an insult
You have to go back to /v/ and /pol/ buddy.
>>
>>55590141
what about GimpWorks?
>>
>>55590276
I heard a while back that Vulkan was just AMDs mantle api, and seeing AMD cards doing better than Nvidia on Vulkan, its not thay big of a surprise.
>>
>>55590141
Unlike Nvidia Goywerks, MAD's stuff is all open source, so if they deliberately had code in there that made it worse or indifferent to Nvidia hardware, they would've already been called out on it. Nvidia is slowly going open sores too, but for the time being no one still knows how most of their stuff works.
>>
>>55590141
>"HP software is racist"
>>
> dumb snoop poster
>>
>>55590141
>2016
>Vulkan games

>Talos Principle
>Doom
I'm going to buy AMD right away.
>V-vulkan is the future, senpai
Wake me up when it is future, anon.
>>
>>55590141
AMD's graphics cards have been a fair bit more powerful than their nVidia counterparts for years but the gaming performance has been shit. Vulkan is finally undoing their API problems.

What this means is that AMD has had to price down their cards, thereby making a lot less money per card. If anyone's been cucked, it's AMD. They've been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy while novideo's been making a killing.

Hopefully, we'll see AMD coming back to a competitive position soon.
>>
>>55590331
first off, Snoop, stop by indianapolis. Second, vulkan was a colab with N,A,and intel
>>
>Nvidia advertising their cards as "first" "DX12 card" before the inclusion of async comptue

>Now Nvidia never mentions any of this in their talks or advertisement

K E K
>>
File: Async_DX12.png (110 KB, 3999x2250) Image search: [Google]
Async_DX12.png
110 KB, 3999x2250
>>55590782
>my sides in orbit
>>
Vulkan is based on Mantle but Khronos stripped everything that was vendor specific to make it truly an open standard that would work on all vendors, unlike Mantle, but some months ago AMD has started to add some of their AMD only extensions, really scummy I bet Nvidia will start doing the same soon too(the lasted linux driver added two extensions thought not limited to Nvidia)

Vulkan was so good in paper but now it will probably have the same ending as OpenGL.
>>
>>55590838
>AMD has started to add some of their AMD only extensions
source or i call bullshit.
>>
>>55590141
Except vulkan is an open stardard, a lot of companies like microsoft or nvidia instead of delivering a better product they tries to cripple competing products, this just levels the playing field.

>>55590667
I don't get why some people instead of thinking about themselves and how a fair competition and having more options they tries to desperately prove that their preferred company is the best as if being on the "winner side" were a thing to be proud about. The problem is when you analyze the whole panorama and you see the reason why that company is the one wining is because it's trying to stagnate their competitors though dirty practices. This is good for that company but not for you as the customer, no one will give you a medal for defending that company and thrash talking their competitors.
>>
mantle was literally a flop, its not really something you would want to relate to anything else
>>
>>55590141
Vulkan is shit sadly.
>>
>>55591006
it gives a huge boost in battlefield
as long as the game is built with vulkan in mind from the start, it can be pretty good
the games that implement it after development aren't that good but maybe they get better with time (Talos Principle)

really what im hyped for is a better OpenGL
OpenGL has been surpassed by directX long time ago
>>
>>55590923
Excuse you, if a standard is not supported, there is little reason to invest in it.
It is contrary to the customer interest to invest in a promising but little supported technology. Moreover, it's not like game developers will support an API that is good for customers, they will support what is good for their profits.
>>
>>55591043
>it gives a huge boost in battlefield
This does not make sense, what battlefield?

>really what im hyped for is a better OpenGL
Using vulkan is much more painful than using OpenGL

>OpenGL has been surpassed by directX long time ago
Not true as far as I know.
>>
>>55591056
>It is contrary to the customer interest to invest in a promising but little supported technology
are you describing the DirectX launch ?
>>
>>55591073
Battlefield 4, the one that supports Mantle
confused it for Vulkan in my mind for a second, sorry

>OpenGL
DirectX surpassed it years ago, even John Carmack, one of the major OpenGL supporters in the industry back in the day, admitted it. OpenGL cares about compatibility too much, and it ends up crippling performance.

>http://www.tomshardware.com/news/john-Carmack-DirectX-OpenGL-API-Doom,12372.html
>>
>>55591144
>even John Carmack, one of the major OpenGL supporters in the industry back in the day, admitted it
Yeah, back in 2011, was OpenGL 4 out yet?
>>
>>55591144
it gave a boost to shitty integrated gpu's that could barely play the game in the first place. it didnt do anything worth mentioning for anyone else
>>
>>55591144
>Battlefield 4, the one that supports Mantle
>confused it for Vulkan in my mind for a second, sorry
Why should I care about a non-free game?
>>
>>55591153
>shitty integrated gpu's
where do you get this misinformation from? I could get a good boost in Battlefield 4 by using Mantle with a dedicated graphics card
around 20% improvement in most instances

>>55591152
oh
so OpenGL 4 performs better than dx 11? that would be pretty awesome
can you share more info on the subject
>>
>>55591218
>so OpenGL 4 performs better than dx 11? that would be pretty awesome
OpenGL 4 can not perform better than DX 11 simply because both of them are standards, not implementations. Different implementations would perform differently.
>>
>>55590335

OP never said that there was intent on AMDs part to purposely gimp Nvidia GPUs on it. Simply that its not surprising that AMD cards have better performance due to the existing codebase from Mantle that's built into Vulkan.
>>
>>55591079
No, that'd be tile rendered powerVR or Verite API.
DirectX was launched to unify standards, not divide them.
>>
>>55591218
don't forget to add that not only do the max framerates increase with mantle on amd, but the minimum framerates increase just as much.

mantle was a fucking disaster, and it was even designed for integrated graphics not dedicated cards

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/175676-amds-mantle-finally-emerges-turns-out-its-actually-for-boosting-low-end-cpus-not-gpus
>>
>>55590141
Considering this should I go with a 390x? How's the power draw/heat output on it? Either that or a 480
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.