[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So just how fucked up are the rest of your family's computer's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: f6a.jpg (382 KB, 2299x1774) Image search: [Google]
f6a.jpg
382 KB, 2299x1774
So just how fucked up are the rest of your family's computer's and battlestations?

Who's the worst offender?

What do they think of your setup in comparison?
>>
everyone in my family says im using a "fake operating system"
all of them say its not as good as their prebuilt computers, example: my build was compared to an aunts optiplex 7xx-something

like, fuck off cunts, these are the same people who come to me all the time when they break their shit
>>
>>55578457
>fake operating system

well they aren't wrong
>>
>>55577688
my girlfriend doesn't own a desk
she exclusively uses her laptop literally in her lap on her couch
it's always plugged in next to the couch and the cord is always draped across the path to the kitchen, so I trip over the fucking power supply regularly
I should probably quit bitching and get her an extension cord or something
>>
>>55578623
Wow u sure showed him with ur expensive 'real' operating system
>>
>>55578457
>made fun of for shitty specs
>has shitty specs

well they aren't wrong
>>
>>55578457
fuck off, faker
>>
>>55578457
they sound like dumb and insecure people senpai, trying to put down something because they don't know about it like you do
>>
>>55577688
They all use laptops, actually, every normalfag that isn't a gaymer kid already uses laptops in this day and age apparently.
>>
>>55577688
my immediate family is pretty decent with things
but my parents only really go on the internet for banking/payments or to buy shit
and my siblings are generally okay with computers
probably the only thing of note is that my sister uses a shitty machine from 2004 that's running Ubuntu 9.04 or something

>>55578634
why isn't there an outlet near the couch?
>>
File: YV3oSUV[1].jpg (92 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
YV3oSUV[1].jpg
92 KB, 1280x720
They are all shitty laptops infested with malware and bloatware, corporate logo stickers and residue of said stickers swaddling the exterior, smudges and stains all over the inside from the screen to the keyboard to the touchpad, gunk inbetween the keys, and with a variety of dents and scratches as the cherry on top
>>
>>55578634
Fucking this, I got so sick of yelling at family members for stretching cords in all sorts of places that were stupidly dangerous and taut as fuck. It got to the point where if I came across one, I would unplug it, and when they yelled at me, I told them to figure out another way to do it.
>>
>>55578645
>3.3Ghz
>16gb RAM
>shitty specs

Something doesn't add up here
>>
>>55579384
>MOAR GHZ
>MOAR RAM
Let me guess, you also think that VRAM defines GPU performance.
>>
>>55577688
The rest of my family have pretty solid setups. My older brother has 2 of those Acer Predator monitors, a 6600k, and a 970, while my younger brother has a 4690k and a 960 with a generic 24 inch monitor.

I use an i3-3225, and a HD 7950, with a 17 inch e-Machines monitor. It used to be in a closet shelf to save space.
>>
I'm the only autist still using a desktop, everyone I know uses laptops exclusively
>>
>>55577688
Parents use their work supplied (and owned) laptops at the kitchen table or lying in bed.

They think my docked t420 ghetto rig is interesting.
>>
>>55578640
pirated mine you tard.
and im loving every second of it
>>
>>55577688

My dad tunnels into an intel nuc from a samsung tablet to do development and surfs the internet by streaming the tablet to a 50" tv or a 17" dell monitor. The nuc is the most powerful piece of hardware he's ever owned, and it has a 2.4 ghz i5.

He leads development of tools for a fortune 500 company.
>>
>build nice pc for my sister
>300€ budget
>manage to get i5-4590, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, nice case and aftermarket cooler
>Get her one of my legit Win8 licences from University, install Chrome with adblock so no shit gets on it
>fast forward one year

>"I think I will sell my computer and buy a proper new one"
>"Why?"
>"IDK it's just not so good and there are messages appearing about some security update"

Last time I try to be good to someone
>>
Probably my mother is the worst. And by worst, I mean she has around 10 apps running simultaneously and at least 30 notifications in her drop down menu on her Android phone.

I built my uncle's PC. 3770k, 32GB ddr3, generic H series Biostar board. (His choice because he isn't a gamer. K series had some instructions he wanted though). Running Windows 7 and been on the same install for years.

Little sister also running a box I built out of spare parts. Fx-4100 and Geforce 210 for minecraft. Running Ubuntu MATE 15.10. (should upgrade her soon)

Dad runs an Android phone flawlessly and used windows 7 on the thinkpad T410 I rebuilt for him. Needs a laptop so he can run the ECU editing program for turbo/boost tuning his car. Gave him dual 9 cell batteries.

As far as what they think of mine, my PC and room in general are considered doff limits to them. I never said anything to that effect, but I have several servers I built running in my room usually. Constant hum and they're afraid of breaking something. Most my little sister did was turn my file server back on after a storm knocked out our power so she can't keep watching Dexter.
>>
>>55577688
Dad's daily driver is a first-gen X11 Carbon with 8.1 or something on it, Mom's is a Latitude E54XX (can't remember the model number) but she mostly uses an iPad.

I don't really think they care either way about my setups, except that they're everywhere because I have a penchant for hijacking clean desks nobody seems to be using.
>>
>>55580698
>X11 Carbon
I need to go...
>>
>>55580656
>I have several servers I built running in my room usually
Sounds like you doesn't pay for your electricity
>>
Both my parents have dual monitor (there was a lot of 4 27" lg monitors at a local liquidation) workstations. I built my moms pc using an i3 and some spare parts and my dad uses an eBay prebuilt.

My mom is a meme master. She buys literally everything I buy. I bought a mechanical keyboard and she buys a cooler master "clicky" keyboard with blue LEDs. Then she bought a deathadder with blue LEDs to match.
>>
>>55580709

I pay $460 a month to live at home while saving for a house. $300 for rent, $40 to cover the entire internet bill, and $120 for misc stuff. I.e. power, water, gas. That and my servers are all low power.

>Sempron 3850 quad core as a dedicated encoding machine for my little sister's various videos she makes. This machine is sleeping 99% of the time and consumed less than 12w to sleep.
>File server is a low voltage i3 that down clocks and is idle 90% of the time as streaming over the network barely uses an CPU power.
>>
>>55580823
Oh, I stand corrected! Good job breaking stereotypes.
>>
>>55580642
holy fuck, I would kill her.
>>
>>55580716
Your mom is trying to fug anon. She wants you to see her as hip and as cool as you. Give her the D. Give her what she is asking for.
>>
>>55578457
>pentium
>geforce gt

kill yourself
>>
>>55580855
Yup. I built those servers for the purpose of 24/7 uptime but being power friendly. I would never get one of those dual 12 thread Xeon builds and keep it running all the time using 200w at idle.

Most I have planned is to use my AMD fx-9370, clock it up to 5.0ghz under my spare air cooler, and boot it up when I need heavy number crunching done. Or if my room is cold.
>>
My mom has
>blackberry playbook 32gb
>samsung note 2
>some newer acer tablet
>my old first gen nexus 7 32gb

My dad has
>Acer aspire laptop from late 2000's
>Note X play or whatever its called
>blackberry playbook 32gb
>there might be another acer tablet or maybe every time I see him using it it's my moms

My mom will actually sit there with three tablets and a phone all playing different slot machine games, all of which are completely automated requiring zero input. My dad just plays facebook scrabble, listens to music, and plays fantasy football. They remember when all those banks were hacked in the 90's and refuse to do any banking online so the worse I have to worry about is a facebook or google account being compromised.

My brother was overclocking Pentium 3's in the late 90's and debugged code on a old commodore with my sister before that so both of their setups are decent.

My parents used to lose their minds when I would talk about having more than one monitor(this was before they had their arsenal of tablets). They've never cared about what I'm doing with computer hardware, until now when I'm trying to sell my computer shit and buy T420 to have more money for car parts, which they think is a really bad idea, telling me to wait to sell it later when it isn't worth anything.

Fucking hippies man.
>>
>>55580698
>they're everywhere because I have a penchant for hijacking clean desks nobody seems to be using.
I'm worse. I'll put laptops, monitors, games consoles on spare dressers, tables, wherever I can fit them.
>>
My 14-year-old brother has a G3258 and an R9 270X in a rig he built himself a year or so ago. He had a Xeon e3 that he got for dirt cheap, but it just fried a couple weeks ago. He's currently saving for an i5. It could be worse, at least he kind of knows what he's doing.
>>
>>55577688
dad has a 2nd gen i3 asus laptop, gt610m, and a hp 840 g1 from work as well as a note 5. he's reasonably competent at most things tech related thankfully

my mom owns a windows phone and an ipad, both of which she barely knows how to use.

brother 1 has one of those tragic acers with the pentium nxxxx. pity. also has a zenfone 4

brother 2 has a g3258/r9 270x system, which im gonna upgrade to either the rx480/1060

i have a 4720hq/970m laptop as well as a b960/7670m laptop. xperia z5 and a G4 as well
>>
My little sister uses my family's old computer, a shitty HP with an AMD E-350 straight from Walmart. All she does with it is play Runescape and jill off to yaoi. I feel kinda bad for her, but if I built her a better computer she'd probably still just play Runescape so it isn't worth it.

I also have a little brother who owns a 3DS, but he doesn't use it for games. Literally all he does with it is watch Minecraft videos on the YouTube app.
>>
>>55580887
Get on my level. I got an x5-z8300 mini PC that uses 15w at max load, sharing a few files over a powered USB hub that consumes 10w. Paid $40 CDN for it.
>>
>>55581143
>AMD E-350
At least get her an APU build for fucks sake.
>>
>>55578697
there is an outlet behind the couch, but it's a large couch and also I think the router and modem are plugged in back there. A power strip is the obvious solution but I guess it's only obvious to me
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.