[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GPU fan stopped working?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: question-mark-nothing.jpg (2 MB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
question-mark-nothing.jpg
2 MB, 4000x4000
Since I moved everything to a new case, I noticed my GPU fan doesnt work anymore. It never even spins up. When I put the fan speed in MSI Afterburner to 100%, nothing happens. The mini plug of the fan is plugged into the GPU of course
>>
Test to see if the fan itself is working, unplug it, connect it to a 12v battery, if it moves, it's probably the connector on the pcb, if it doesn't, it's the fan.
>>
>>55574785
Well.. I dont have one. And if you recommend using a 9V battery, I dont have one of those either. Is there another way? However, I guess I should go to the mall tomorrow
>>
I just tested it with a battery, the fan itself works but my GPU seems to give the fan only 0.3V. What could be the problem?
>>
>>55576716
If you cannot find a solution, OP, and need a hail mary, you can stick the GPU (minus anything plastic etc) into an oven at ~300 degrees fahrenheit for about 5-10 minutes. If it is a bad trace this will probably reset it.

Again, only as a last resort if you have nothing else. Look it up first as well.

I did this with an 8800GTX for 8 years. It would cook itself about every 6 weeks and I would tear it down and stick it in the oven. Got it down pat, 20 minutes from PC to PC.

Also try /sqt/ next time. Good luck
>>
>>55576780
What the hell... I thought you were joking...
>>
OP, try RMA that gpu, the connector for the fan in the gpu pcb is fucked (probably solder got kill by heat), if it's out of warranty you can try to connect the fan to other source that allow you to set a profile like a fan control bay or the motherboard.

If you do the last then be aware that as the gpu can't regulate the fan, you need to set the RPM in a profile your gpu don't fry, hence you need to test the temps under load and set it there, be aware that depending on the gpu heat and the fan noise levels you could have a constant turbine, unless you make an idle profile and switch to a load one manually each time you start gpu intensive programs (with the risk that you forgot to switch one day and it's fried).

>>55576780
>contaminating with lead residues probably permanently an oven for a gpu
Next time try eating the capacitors so your stomach acid clean them and so you can use back them after you shit those.
>>
>>55577815
My oven doesn't quite get to the 1800 C it takes to boil lead.
>>
>>55577815
That seems like a good idea, but I dont have any other source available. Thanks for the idea though
>>
>>55577815
And by the way, the GPU is 6 years old and out of warranty
>>
Thank your for the help guys, but I might just buy a new graphics card. Probably going for a Sapphire R9 390 Nitro. Is the MSI version better?
>>
>>55578287
No
>>
>>55578365
Alright, thanks. Is there a better one for the same price?
>>
>>55578476
From what I've heard sapphire is the best regarded.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.