[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you use openSuse Tumbleweed? Is there any reason not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: tumbleweed1.png (19 KB, 640x384) Image search: [Google]
tumbleweed1.png
19 KB, 640x384
Do any of you use openSuse Tumbleweed? Is there any reason not to use it if I don't need proprietary drivers? I don't have much time to fiddle with the terminal but want to have updated software without having to trust PPAs.
>>
dude
>>
>>55568404
Downloading it now. Iv heard a lot of good things but never gave opensuse a try before.
>>
>OpenSUSE
install slackware
>>
File: openPEPE.png (120 KB, 2000x1433) Image search: [Google]
openPEPE.png
120 KB, 2000x1433
no
>>
>>55568404
Installed practically all gstreamer packages available in the repos. Installed mpv. Installed vlc.

Still not being able to play mp4 files.
>>
>>55569730
>google slackware
>First result "is slackware dead"
>>
>>55570408
>google
>>
>>55568429
OP here. I'm running the live version on USB. It's pretty cool. I think that I'll make the move permanently from Ubuntu.
>>55570323
http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

I haven't followed it yet but I added another repo to have subpixel font rendering and now my fonts look as good as on Android, so I assume that codecs will work too.

They can't add those things by default due to pantents/licensing problems.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160714_110717.png (161 KB, 1366x731) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160714_110717.png
161 KB, 1366x731
>>55571493
By the way, when you add a new repository on Yast to have fonts/codecs, you gotta check this option to make it replace the system/default packages, so you can update everything properly. This is a safety measure.
>>
>Installed tumbleweed
>Got a nice KDE setup with plasma
>"libreoffice and all base system is p dank "
>want to install other software
>it isn't in the repos
>go to opensuse software page
>check it
>no tumbleweed
>when i find one: tumbleweed repos are maintained by some guy who never cared about it anymore

So in my experience, is nice if you only want to use basic software for computing (what any normie would use) because when you want "advanced" software it fucking lacks a lot
>>
>>55568404
Tried it once but the YaST is absolutely fuck-ugly. How that got past the QA phase I do not know.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160714_113948.png (93 KB, 1062x554) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160714_113948.png
93 KB, 1062x554
>>55571748
Cool story about some vague "other software", dipshit.
>>55571805
yast2-qt-branding-openSUSE is not used by default anymore and Yast looks just fine.
>>
>>55571895
wew then show your shit
Because nothing is in their repos
>>
>>55571895
YaST looks like a mock-up; the design is very poor.
>>
>>55571527
Yes. If you don't do this everything will break.

I learned this the hard way,
>>
>>55568404
>>>/v/
>>
>>55568404
zypper dup fucked my shit in the ass, find another mean to update

Also I fucked up somehow cause rolling updates came at me and filled up my 30G partition in a month, I was kekd ou tof lelnix
>>
>people are still falling for the opensuse meme
>>
>>55568404
OpenSUSE is my linux distro of choice, but you're retarded. In order to make OpenSUSE useable you have to add the packman repo, which is a thirdparty repository. Even then, after that there's still going to be a lot of packages you'll need in the OpenSUSE Build Service which is more akin to ppa's.

tl;dr, kys famalam.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.