[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Integratred Graphics Processor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Intel-HD-5500-Graphics.jpg (12 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Intel-HD-5500-Graphics.jpg
12 KB, 400x300
Hey, /g/. Hoping you guys can help me with something.

So my machine has a dedicated GPU that I use for gaming, modeling, multimedia and so forth. Naturally, I disabled the integrated GPU to prevent conflicts.

Thing is, it's a processor and it's there, not being used. Wasteful. That's potential processing power that could be doing other stuff. What I want to know is if it's possible to use that integrated GPU for doing processing work that's not graphics related?
>>
>>55563468
You disabled it? What the fuck does that entail?
Are you aware if you don't use your integrated graphics, they use no power?
>>
>>55563566
It means I disabled it. It wasn't being used otherwise. I'm aware that not using it means that it is not in use. I'm just wondering if there is a way to actually put it to use as a supplemental processor for this and that.
>>
>>55563468
I remember reading about a project about 4 years ago. It was supposed to allow you to use dedicated GPUs and integrated one at the same time in some hellish sli/xfire.
The way it was supposed to work is that the dedicated GPU would render 3D models and hi-res textures and the integrated GPU would render low-res textures and low poly objects in the distance or something among those lines.
I sadly can't remember the name but I am pretty sure they failed.
>>
>>55563468
You could use it for OpenCL and the like. The embedded GPUs a're typically not particularly powerful, but maybe it could be used for computing physics and stuff for those games that use it for PhysX-type stuff.
>>
>>55563797
Been scouring the net but search engines are not giving me the type of hits I'm looking for.

I did, however, find out that DX12 is implementing a feature that makes use of it. This is just for graphics though, unfortunately.

http://www.pcgamer.com/directx-12-will-be-able-to-use-your-integrated-gpu-to-improve-performance/
>Microsoft has been busy showing off the features of the upcoming DirectX 12 API, and its last big reveal is a doozy. A feature called Multiadapter will allow DirectX 12 to use multiple GPUs—more specifically, Multiadapter will allow developers to use the integrated GPUs in Intel's modern desktop processors and AMD's APUs alongside a dedicated graphics card.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.