[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Posted on /adv/ but was redirected here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1461414511930.gif (941 KB, 627x502) Image search: [Google]
1461414511930.gif
941 KB, 627x502
Hey /g/,
I just recently got laid off from my part time McJob ($11/hour though). I'm tired of working hourly junk jobs, and I have a few grand in my savings. I was thinking about going to get some Info. Technology certifications. I've been building computers since I was a kid, and I've always enjoyed working with computers and helping people figure out how to do the same.

My question is which IT certs are worth getting? I see a lot of them out there like Comptia, and Cisco, but I'm not sure which ones are worth getting to get a real career. I've heard the Comptia A+ is junk, and the Network+ is barely any better. I've got to get back to work within 3 months or my savings will run out, assuming I use the bulk to get a few certifications under my belt. If I don't use any for certifications I can pay rent for a year and eat heartily, but then I'd be boned come next summer. I was thinking about going for the A+ anyway, then the Network+. I'd follow it up with the CCIA, and CCNA, but I don't know if there's anything I should omit, or anything I should add. I figure I can afford about 5-6 certs, and if I buckle down I can crank them out within my time limit. If I need a short extension my family will probably help with rent for a month or two max.

tl;dr Which IT certs are the best bang for the buck? Which certs will actually help with getting a career, as opposed to a job, in as short an amount of time as possible?
>>
All of the close personal friends I've asked that work in the industry have been super dismissive when I've asked them, and I'm not sure why. They always switch the topic over to anime or something else, which I guess is because they work with this stuff all day.

slightly shameful bump
>>
Abridge this to solid 1-2 sentences.then post it in another thread that seems relevant to the topic.
>>
>>55559196
I didn't see another relevant thread anon.

The solid 2 sentences were in my tl;dr, at least I thought so.

"Which IT certs are the best bang for the buck? Which certs will actually help with getting a career, as opposed to a job, in as short an amount of time as possible?"
>>
>>55559322
You aren't going to have a career with just IT certs unless your name is Pajeet or Rajesh and you poop outside.
>>
>>55559376
Is there anything in particular that's going to get my foot in the door? Even for an hourly position doing relevant work to gain experience.
>>
>>55559447
This chain of comments might be relevant: >>55558392
>>
Don't listen to these anons OP your question shows youve done your research

i dont know the answer though lel
>>
Bumping for OP but I don't know much of IT since I'm an engineer. Cheers to you for looking for a better job, best of luck and God speed
>>
File: 0027-1421025368292.gif (2 MB, 370x322) Image search: [Google]
0027-1421025368292.gif
2 MB, 370x322
>>55559790
Thanks. I'll check it out.

>>55559951
>>55560552
I appreciate it guys. I really do just want my life to get better. I hate the studio apartment I live in, and not having money for anything but the bare essentials.

>tfw the only internet you get is tethering your phone to your pc
>>
>>55560873
Sorry you couldn't find any good answers to your question OP. Best of luck regardless.
>>
>>55560942
I'll be alright. I'm gonna start putting together a portfolio outlining what I do and don't know, and some of the little fiddly programs I've made. I'm just going to proceed with the cert path I've got lined up. I might follow the comptia cert map for security or network admin stuff.
>>
CCNA shit is what you want, but don't expect to just take the cert and pass. You need to actually learn your shit.
>>
>>55561041
I have a hard time passing tests if I don't actually learn the material. I dunno, I've never been able to just slide through school unless it was a language related class. (spoken/written, not programming obviously.)
>>
>>55560973
Sometimes IT anons create threads discussing jobs and qualifications, often threads about industry stories turn into these. Just have to be lucky and find one I guess.

Good luck anon, I hope you get a comfy job doing what you like doing.
>>
File: Packet Tracer.png (368 KB, 1401x943) Image search: [Google]
Packet Tracer.png
368 KB, 1401x943
>>55558869
I have no idea about certifications, though if you are planning on doing IT, you should study up on your networking, and look into something like Puppet, Ansible, or Chef.

As far as certifications go, I think a Cisco certification would probably get the attention of a few prospective employers. Plus it comes with a cute little sandbox program called "Packet Tracer" which lets you set up a virtual network for practice, including doing things like plugging in routers, setting up computers, and configure the virtual hardware using a full IOS command line. (Pic related)

When looking for work, in order to get past HR drones, (since most places that need dedicated IT have HR drones) be sure to address every point that was listed under the requirements for a job posting.

Note that VMs are your friend, so get VMWare Player or something, set up virtual environments, and try to see how much you can automate with whatever you chose above.

And lastly, if the environment is mostly Windows (It almost always will be), learn about Group Policies.

Good luck anon..!
>>
>>55561192
>I have no idea about certifications
about most*

Ugh.

But yeah, networking, automation, and group policies are what you should look into since you already know how to build the computers themselves.

And things you can play with are Packet Tracer, and Virtual Machines.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.