[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with storage failure/backup /g/? I have a 1tb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Fire-Damaged-Hard-Drive1.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
Fire-Damaged-Hard-Drive1.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
How do you deal with storage failure/backup /g/?

I have a 1tb samsung drive from like 2010 that I store a bunch of shit on and this morning it started making an awful click, that sound of an actuator arm smacking against the header.

The disk still read fine and when I looked at a performance monitor the drive was spiking to 100% whenever it clicked. I backed up everything that would be a huge bitch to replace and now, 8 hours later, the click is gone completely.

Can I still use this thing to store video and stuff on or should I put it away until I can replace it, because I don't really have a spare terabyte to back the whole fucking thing up. That's the problem with getting bigger and bigger drives, they all still shit themselves eventually!!
>>
Bump even tho /g/ is probably too young to ever have a hard drive die
>>
File: Jon Lovitz JUST.png (3 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Jon Lovitz JUST.png
3 MB, 1500x1500
I never do any back ups and pray nothing bad happens because I'm too poor to afford another drive.
>>
>>55553448
HDD is all about luck.
I have a HDD that is still running. 3 years ago, I got a warning message from smart. It runs flawlessly.
>>
>>55553498
That's the thing, it will fail, hopefully you figure something out by then.

When I was poor I was using this as a main drive for my OS and games and shit so it's not really surprising me that it's dying.

Now I'll stick to small SSDs for the OS, one HD for games, then bunch of storage drives with at least one for backup.
>>
>>55553552
When SSD started coming out I got all excited because I assumed they'd last really long, then I found out they basically start dying the moment you begin writing to them.
>>
Should I just pick up one of those externals that are always on sale to use for backup? My primary HDD is maybe 5-6 years old now.
>>
I'm always wondering whether I should just burn all my favourite smug animu pictures, chinese cartoons and memes to seperate CD's or M-Discs.

It's so much work but the risk of a HDD dying on me pretty big too and I will never forgive myself if I don't have a backup of the majority.
>>
>>55553642
Yeah, I know. I already had one fail on me, but it was many years ago and it only had "entertainment" files, so nothing really important.

This time it's about serious files, so indeed hopefully I figure something out by then.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.