[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me how bitcoin mining is bad for AMD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
Can someone explain to me how bitcoin mining is bad for AMD? I vaguely heard about quite a bit over the years, but I never truly understood why.
>>
>Bitcoin
>Mining

Sorry, I forgot 2014 ended two years ago
>>
It`s not really bad for amd if you`re strictly talking direct sales. But if you look at a broader picture of things, miners gobbling up radeon cards and driving the prices to low stocked product through the roof reduce AMD`s gaming market share. This reduces developer incentive to actually put an equal amount of effort into AMD optimization as they do Nvidia. Which in turn also reduces consumers incentive to purchase AMD GPUs and overall reducing their potential income.
>>
>>55548333
it's only bad for the AMDerps that have to shell out $500 for $200 MRSP cards
>>
File: chucke.gif (3 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
chucke.gif
3 MB, 300x200
>childhood friend goes to prison
>gets out last year
>tells me about how he's going to mine bitcoin
>ask him how he even knows about bitcoin
>tells me a guard at one of the facilities he was at had set up a miner in his office
>"bro he made so much bank. i'm gonna build one too"
>you realize you're not going to make much, if anything, right?
>"nah dude, i'm gonna make bank"
>>
Can you buy bit coins with complete anonymity if purchased through a VPN
>>
>>55548862
why, buying them anywhere is anonymous
>>
>>55548333
AMD cards could mine significantly better than nvidia ones and when mining blew up they were pretty much impossible to buy. In the short term this was good for AMD since they were selling like hotcakes. In the long term it's really bad since all the gamers who will continue to buy GPUs every so often as long as they game went to Nvidia.

Even though GPU mining is basically dead Nvidia still has those customers who are now more likely to continue buying Nvidia.

On a side note miners are the reason that XFX no longer offers a lifetime warranty as a standard on their cards, since people were returning them severely abused by the dozens.
>>
>>55548333
It's not nearly as prevalent anymore, but back in the days when buttcoin mining really took off, the 7970 and r9 290 were THE cards to get. It caused ridiculous markups, you could see 7950/7970s for example go for >$900.
>>
Who knows what someone has up their sleeve when they go to purchase the coins? Looks like my card was used to buy them but can't prove to my bank it wasn't me.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.