[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mathematics for Machine Learning.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1-12.jpg (33 KB, 868x418) Image search: [Google]
1-12.jpg
33 KB, 868x418
> Be me
> 23 year old programmer
>full time job as Cobol programmer
> GO TO all day long
> Read magazine
> Machine_Learning.jpg
>wow.png

Unfortunately my math is very limited. Only math I use at my job is addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

My high school math is limited to linear equations and derivatives but it is rusty after years not using it.

Can /g/ please help me find good math books I can start with? I want to learn the fundamentals of math used in ML.
Help a fellow programmer.
Pic related
>>
>>55543339
do more math
>>
>>55543365
What type of math though? Linear algebra? Calculus?
>>
>>55543339
>be me
GO TO >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>55543417
I'm just allergic of those communists.
>>
>>55543393
Linear algebra and probability theory, which requires calculus.
>>
>>55543472
Would a linear algebra book that deals with Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues, matrix algebra, determinants, vector spaces be sufficient?
>>
>>55543623
Do you want to learn to program machine learning algos or learn to do machine learning as a data scientist?

If it's the latter it's highly unlikely you'll need anything except for roughly understanding matrix algebra until you are well into the matter.
Even for the former most of the stuff is matrix algebra at most

Read openintro statistics 3, an intermediate stats book and then ISLR
>>
>>55543712
For now, I want to implement machine learning on my own projects. So I assume it's the latter?

Thank you for your answer. Can you explain what ISLR stands for?
>>
>>55543825
It's a book on ML that's a very easy read but with great coverage
google it you can download it for free (legally)
It focuses on R, if you want to use python get Python machine learning, if you want to use another language then I don't know
>>
>>55543712
Nevermind. Just find out that it stands for Introduction to Statistical Learning.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.