[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>get device with 16GB of internal memory + mSD slot >OS,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 128gmsdultra.jpg (248 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
128gmsdultra.jpg
248 KB, 2000x2000
>get device with 16GB of internal memory + mSD slot
>OS, apps, and app cache fill up internal memory
>mSD nearly empty besides media
>can't install apps on the SD card
Now I see why companies stopped putting them in phones. They're pretty much useless and do nothing but decrease profits when only a small group of people even have the ability/inclination to utilize them
>>
Android 6.0 added a feature called "Adoptable storage" that formats SD cards as ext and actually expands the main internal storage to store apps and everything.

Not many manufacturers enable this option for the SD slot on their official Android images.
>>
>>55540018
>Now I see why companies stopped putting them in phones.
Companies are the ones limiting people by not allowing them to install software to it.
>>
>>55540146
True.
>>
>>55540087
/thread
>>
>>55540087
Too bad the device will likely never get Android 6 despite being fully capable of running it but that's for another discussion. That's really interesting, though. Reading about it now.
>>
>>55540192
It probably won't see much use because consumers are easily confused by "Why can't my Windows or Macbook read my SD card?"
>>
On top of that, I hate how most android phones have their internal storage listed as an SD card. The fucks up with that?
>>
>>55540376
In older devices, you needed an SD card to get any shared storage for photos, Downloads, Music, etc.

Modern phones offer an /sdcard directory backed by internal storage so that's no longer needed. Optional secondary storage is usually called extSdCard.

It's a failure of the UI if you ever see the words "SD Card" refer to that internal shared storage. With stock android, you should only see that in file browsers and shells.
>>
Pretty sure there's an Xposed module for this.
>>
>>55540087
>Not many manufacturers enable this option for the SD slot on their official Android images.
Why not tho? Because it will affect sales of their higher storage variant device? Fuck man that's just cruel.
>>
File: 1429021553657.png (451 KB, 616x439) Image search: [Google]
1429021553657.png
451 KB, 616x439
>>55540018
>touchjizz 4.2 did this
Really dont know why they removed this because samsung usually only sell one amount of storage
>>
>>55540087
oem put a shitty reader into, and some soc had shitty bus speed, so even with uhs card it will bog down phone performance.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.