[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.wired.com/2016/07/phones -fm-chips-radio-smartpho
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: jobs499x359.1.jpg (20 KB, 499x359) Image search: [Google]
jobs499x359.1.jpg
20 KB, 499x359
http://www.wired.com/2016/07/phones-fm-chips-radio-smartphone/

>mfw tim cook doesn't want you to listen to the radio on your iphone, so you can't
>mfw that's LITERALLY THE ONLY REASON
>mfw cucked LITERALLY TO DEATH by apple
>>
AFAIK there's a bunch of extra hardware they'd need to include, which is why most Android phones (mostly low-end ones, weirdly) also don't do FM radio.

Apple includes FM radio on some iPods, so they'e not totally opposed.
>>
>>55539963

>there are apps for that

To be fair most radio stations now adays offer internet streaming. So I guess this is good way to save some coin on parts.
>>
>>55539963
as if this is even a big deal compared to the way their hardware and software is locked down
>>
>>55540256
but this is an issue of both their hardware AND software being locked down, senpai
>>
why would I want to listen to the radio on my fashion accessory?
>>
>>55540208
Wrong. Almost all low end Android have FM. It's some high end shit that FM is disabled either in hardware or software level.
>>
>>55539963
>>mfw tim cook doesn't want you to listen to the radio on your iphone, so you can't
It's not like normies (aka 98% of their target audience) listen to the radio anyways.

With the ever increasing popularity of handheld devices capable of both holding large amounts of music albums AND some kind of communication like bluetooth less and less people are using it in their cars.

I actually haven't had a good experience with phone-built in radios for a long time.
I always get poor reception and I live in a large city.

So far on
>>
>>55540355
>I DIDN'T WANT IT ANYWAY
how are those grapes
>>
>>55539963
..."unfortunate" consequence of killing the headphone cable used as the antenna. Your iTunes user history is just a bonus.
>>
>>55540365
>i will generalize his post in caps lock that will tell him for sure
kys

I've never owned an apple device.
And I actually listen to the radio both FM and AM for some Russian stuff.

I'm just saying that majority of Apple users will not even notice this feature gone.
>>
>>55540391
>iTunes user history
explain
>>
Is FM radio going anywhere in North America? I read an article about how it's being phased out in Europe.
>>
>>55540355

Hmm, I don't think the purpose of FM receivers in phones was to listen to music, it was more for emergency type stuff.

However, I do think radio is a dying medium.
>>
>>55540208
>tfw my Warp Elite I got from Amazon for $70 has FM Radio
kek
>>
>>55540517

Sweden plans on moving from FM to digital radio.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=5569518

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_radio
>>
>>55540558
I remember reading about how broadcasters were lobbying to force Apple (and other smartphone makers) to enable fm radio since it could be important in emergencies. This actually makes a lot of sense; I remember in the great North American blackout when that happened back in the day, for like a week the only way you could tell what was going on was radio.
>>
>>55540558
>10 minutes of songs
>20 minutes of commercials
>Same 10-20 songs
It can't die fast enough
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.