[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are processing units so cheap to make?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: AMD-Ellesmere-RX-480.jpg (577 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Ellesmere-RX-480.jpg
577 KB, 3840x2160
How are processing units so cheap to make?
>>
they overclock the shit out of them just so they can have similar performance to a Nvidia card

Its why their hardware runs so hot and cant be clocked even higher
>>
>>55530697
i clocked your mom into a housefire last night
>>
>>55530727
I clocked your wife while you were shitting in the street, Rajeet
>>
>>55530496
>How are processing units so cheap to make?
economies of scale.

Also, when you get right down to it, they're made of sand. Sand is the cheapest thing on earth.
>>
The cost is in R&D
>>
>>55530496
The scale of production lessens the cost of individual units
>>
>>55530756
>Turn very impure silicon oxide into 99.9999... (too many nines) pure silicon metal
>Cut it into disks that are so flat that no atom is higher than the others
>Make several layers of 14nm wide copper patterns on it

Sounds almost trivial
>>
>>55531266
There are about 100 different materials used in the BEOL+FEOL of a chip, including dozens of specially created isotopes deposited with machinery so accurate they can do it nearly 1 atom at a time. There is nothing trivial about photolithography.
>>
>>55531316
>being this bad at detecting sarcasm
>>
File: giphy.gif (1 MB, 699x539) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1 MB, 699x539
>>55530697
>they overclock the shit out of them just so they can have similar performance to a Nvidia card

RX480 1200mhz

GTX1060 1700mhz

Are you a magician? Cause you're really good at pulling shit out of your ass.
>>
>>55531266
>silicon
>metal
Ayy lmao
>>
>>55531885
The RX 480s clock very poorly to begin with. 1060s are pascal which are 1500mhz stock.
>>
>>55530496
Economy of scale
>>
>>55534193
>The RX 480s clock very poorly to begin with
With heavy modifications you can get 1500mhs on the 480.

Stock can be pushed to about 1328mhz max.

So by law of logic, the custom cooled 480's should be able to reach 1400, which is still excellent OC.
>>
The GPU chips sell for around $40-$100. It's actually really expensive by semiconductor standards. More basic ICs sell for a few dollars.
>>
Here's a joke, wish amd and nvidia would show the low profile cards some love. Nvidia has a gt750 it low profile that it's a beast... wish a 9 serious was produced. End joke
>>
>>55531316
high grade autism
>>
>>55534193
You do realize clock go clock comparison doesn't work for AMD vs nvidia right? I remember when the gtx 670 was the go to nvidia card price:performance king. My SLI setup was great and humming along at a whopping 1200mhz.

Then you look at benchmarks and the AMD 7950 was only clocked to 900mhz stock and competing no problem. The AMD cards don't have much overclocking headroom no, but the increased clock increases performance that much more.

For instance I had a Fury X. Out of the box at 1000mhz core, 500mhz memory. Only managed 1100mhz core and 566mhz memory before instability. I gained almost 12FPS in the vast majority of benchmarks and around +7fps in real world gaming.

I have a gtx 980ti classified now. Hits 1400mhz core on boost. I can get 1575mhz on air. And I was able to bump the memory by +750. Performance difference across the board was around +9 fps.

>TL;DR
While the Rx 480 may not clock as high as the 1060, it don't mean shit. That's the same thinking that people with AMD CPUs sometimes fall for. Muh fx-9590 is at 5.0ghz though! Why is it losing in games to a stock i5-6500?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.