[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Functional languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: clojure-conj-logo-square.png (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
clojure-conj-logo-square.png
55 KB, 500x500
What's your favourite functional programming language? Why?

I want to join the functional masterrace but I don't know where to start.

>pic related, Clojure seemed pretty good
>>
>programming for the sake of programming

functional languages are too slow to be useful in the real world
>>
>>55526434
APL
It gets shit done fast
>>
>>55526471
http://pastebin.com/2djVDiUq

Try harder loser
>>
>>55526553
Have fun trying to program with your OS's api

Does APL even have a standard ABI?
>>
>>55526654
>doing anything wth OS's API outside C and C++
why
>>
>>55526693
What's the point of programming if you can't control the computer you're programming?
>>
polite bump
>>
SML, first programming language I've learned at university and therefore the one I'm most comfortable with. Haskell is probably easier to start though because there aren't many learning resources for SML.
>>
>>55526471
>He hasn't heard of Erlang
>>
>>55526709
You can, just not in a meme language under a virtual machine full of security issues, fortunately
>>
>>55526434
Read SICP and learn Scheme
>>
The most functional language I use is Clojure.
It's really nice.

Immutability means that the language ends up being much more functional than Lisps, and it allows for really nice concurrency.

The fact that it is on the JVM means that you can embed an nREPL in any Java application for testing, debugging, or scripting easy-peasy.

The practices in the language make good Clojure code look really nice and have decidedly far fewer flaws than anything else I've used.

Fast and efficient recursion is built right into the language, so iteration over anything is fantastic. Especially for things that .map .reduce and friends don't make easy in languages that support those.

Also, it's fun to write in.
>>
>>55526434

Learn Rust.
>>
Anyone feel like redpilling me on Scala? I must use it for the work I am being paid to do, so a different language choice is not an option.
>>
File: 2346725.png (311 KB, 952x675) Image search: [Google]
2346725.png
311 KB, 952x675
>>55526434

Erlang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRbY3TMUcgQ
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.