[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can WebGL only render triangles? If so, what approach should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: GOTY, GOAT, GWAB.webm (784 KB, 892x500) Image search: [Google]
GOTY, GOAT, GWAB.webm
784 KB, 892x500
Can WebGL only render triangles?
If so, what approach should I use to determining which way I split quads into triangles?

Also, can you use multiple fragment and vertex shaders?

Lastly, I notice that some fragment shaders made for working without polygons can make some perfectly smooth objects. Would it be viable and sane to have models render with math opposed to geometry, using only a few polygons just for the sake of having their vertex shaders control that math?
>>
>>55521671
I completely forgot about that game, I used to play it all the time. What's it called?
>>
>>55521843
Need for Madness
>>
>>55521671
Don't know about WebGL specifically but I tend to use ear clipping triangulation. Or delauney if I get fucked up models but it's slower.
>>
>>55521671
Try >>>/vg/agdg maybe?
>>
>>55521671
You can split quads into triangles in a few ways:
1. Arbitrarily split the quad and stop worrying about it.
2. Choose the split that produces the largest angles in your triangles, since small angles give bad specular highlights. This is fairly easy with the dot product.

3. Assuming the quad is non-planar, choose the split that best matches the concavity of your surface. This can avoid "dents" in your surface mesh. This is much more difficult and requires you to estimate the surface gradient.

No idea what you're talking about in that last bit. Most of realtime computer rendering is triangles because they're fast. n-gons are a sin.
>>
>>55522227
(Cont)
Yes you can have multiple shaders. Just change the shader before each draw call with glUseProgram()
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.