[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what type of RAM is best for making extremley large charts ECC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: tmp_10640-IMAG01601396572937.jpg (647 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
tmp_10640-IMAG01601396572937.jpg
647 KB, 2688x1520
what type of RAM is best for making extremley large charts ECC or DDR.

How much memory is enough? 16 gb? 32gb? 64GB?

how much does which GPU I buy matter.

are the Nvidia gtx 980s really as good as the quadro or quadro plex series for performance
>>
What kind of charts? You mean like Excel spreadsheets?
>>
org charts, metres in lengh and width
>>
>>55516680
Googling what an org chart was gave me this.
I fail to see how, even if extremely large, you couldn't do this on virtually any computer capable of running Windows and whatever program your using to do this. I'd think the giant printer you could be using would be much more expensive.

What program do you use?
>>
>ECC
>256GB
>just get a dual xeon workstation
>cheapest SLI with at least 6GB per card
>>
visio 2007 pro

it is excellant but my specs are bad for having such a large drawing. (3Gb ram, intel i5)
>>
there are printing companies around I can use, instead of buying a massive printer. if even they cant handle the large size Ill just have to keep it as digital
>>
>>55516886
>off of google
The program isn't very intense to run normally. If you want, open up your task manager and see what your ram and cpu usage looks like. If it's using all of your ram, get more. If some or all of your cpu cores are being used at 100%, you'd want to get a better CPU (which would probably involve getting a new computer). As far as GPU, it can be useful to have just some form of dedicated GPU just for graphics hardware acceleration. You may or may not find it useful to have the file on an SSD (any) as opposed to an HDD for the quicker read/write speeds. If you do, put Windows on it too, just for the better general computing experience.

>ECC or DDR
Doesn't matter to you. But DDR since that's what any system you'll have will be using.

>how much RAM is enough
When it isn't using 100% of it, you have enough. I refuse to believe that a 2007 microsoft office program could warrant a PC having more than 16Gb, or even 8.

>how much does which GPU matter
As long as it runs the version of DirectX used by Visio 2007 (which any made since 2007 does), it'll be fine.

>Gaming 980s vs Workstation Quadros
Unless you're a business, no, stop. The difference between workstation cards and gaming cards are much quality control and prices for the workstation, and driver opimization for DirectX and OpenGL for the gaming and workstation respectively. These are both overkill for what you're doing.

If you do happen to be a business, you should be contacting a vendor (Dell, HP, Lenovo) and buying a prebuilt computer from them so you have the warranty to avoid the risk of a mission critical failure costing you a lot of money.
>>
>>55517123
Or as a tl;dr
Assuming you're not a business:
You should probably just put more ram in your computer, but check task manager performance to be sure.
>>
File: 1465422094876.png (167 KB, 306x273) Image search: [Google]
1465422094876.png
167 KB, 306x273
>>55516539
3/10 made my type out a reply.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.